One Dodge Mirage help

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Heya Tyrians,

I used to main my Mirage in WvW (mainly DPS but had a condi build set in case a fight required it) before Mirage was meme'd with 1 dodge. I then adopted a Deadeye build that I still use, however Ive been trying to get back into my Mirage (using DPS as much as I can. I realize condi is typically better), however as you can guess, its easier said than done. I understand its a losing fight, however im determined to make something work. I have beaten some people with my DPS build, however I believe that there is a change or 2 (w/o changing class as im sticking with Mirage) since nerfs that can still make it viable.

Here is my build (from memory). GS is staying, however the axe/torch (since the DPS nerf to axe skills) isnt as.....interesting as it once was. Let me know your constructive suggestions. Initial idea of build was clone spam(ish) and detargeting. Vigor was to keep my endurance running as much as I could. I seem to be fodder for daredevils whereas before I had been able to put up more of a fight.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PiwAc+FlRwkYcsLmJW0XlvWA-zVRYDhJGd4DJQhQmqgOlAKeWqyMC-w

ThanksTheRealMC

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

@"Senqu.8054" said:Poor fella :( has hope that he can have constructive build discussions about Power-Mirage

Call it "Blind Faith"

If I would be you I would trust Yoci, I think he knows what he is doing.

His build: http://de.gw2skills.net/editor/?Pi0AEx/lJwuYUsEGKOqKdnTA-zVRYBR9nnYQhnSmCheFBdroaZiq4DQA/dUNDA-w

If you struggle with dmg, change some zerker gear to mara.

I can’t really say a lot to your build since I don’t have experience with Valkyrie on Mesmer

@Senqu.8054 said:

@Senqu.8054 said:Poor fella :( has hope that he can have constructive build discussions about Power-Mirage

Call it "Blind Faith"

His build:

I can’t really say a lot to your build since I don’t have experience with Valkyrie on Mesmer

Dunno who they are but I will check the build out. At least give me a new starting ground. I usually am one to thoerycraft however I'm.banging my head on this one as dps mirage is def nerfed a lot

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

@Senqu.8054 said:Poor fella :( has hope that he can have constructive build discussions about Power-Mirage

Call it "Blind Faith"

His build:

Dunno who they are but I will check the build out. At least give me a new starting ground. I usually am one to thoerycraft however
I'm.banging my head on this one
as dps mirage is def nerfed a lot

Me too bro, me too :(

@Senqu.8054 said:

Call it "Blind Faith"

His build:

Dunno who they are but I will check the build out. At least give me a new starting ground. I usually am one to thoerycraft however
I'm.banging my head on this one
as dps mirage is def nerfed a lot

Me too bro, me too :(

Blind faith brother. All I have left in DPS Mirage, until anet buffs something.

@"Bigpapasmurf.5623"As someone else pointed out above, the state Mirage is in now, you are FORCED to invest in sustain to be able to be viable. You can't run offensive lines and gear and expect to succeed. For your setup PU and swapping IA for SoM is the only workable solution. Yes you will be sluggish as hell, that's the price you're gonna have to pay if you want that "top" burst. Note: My advice and I do mean this, drop power altogether, go condi. I spike more burst with my condi spec than I do with either my Cele or Mara builds.

Point 2: I went back and I'm going over the build right now. I have to ask, isn't Domination strictly better than Illusions? In your setup you get 0 benefit from the extra confusion, having the clone on stealth really isn't streamlined to make it even remotely a consideration. You have plenty of finishing power after the bomb with Ax/T so there's really no need to have Shatter Storm, unless you really don't trust yourself on the trigger and need a failsafe. MoF is obviously great, but again, you only really gain on your f1, f3 with it. Swaping to Dom compliments your GS, gets you better might generation, strips boons like nuts. Roaming is a boon game, and whoever procs the most protection, usually wins. Being able to strip it is insane profit for your small roaming party.Solo roaming without tagging along with other roamers is just not a feasible practice anymore. Even thieves roam in pairs now almost exclusively.

Point 3: I noticed you run Evasive Mirror, what's the design choice behind that one? We all know reflects break stealth (cuz ANET didn't code an exception to it). So isn't it then, more cohesive with the build options to go for Blinding Dissipation? That way you get some actual value out of your f2 on a full power setup, a lot of people discount the quad proc blind, as a purely defensive option, it can save your life just as much as f4 on half the CD. Esp since you don't run Sword, :wink:

Edit: @Curunen.8729 Hi! :lol:Reserved for more points as my mind works in chaotic and mysterious ways.

I think if you want to play power Mesmer in WvW at the moment you should go core. Senqu posted the build I use and I believe it is pretty close to the maximum you can currently achieve with power. Faith Navii also has a very good power build using Inspiration (signet build) instead of Chaos and using Power Block. His build is stronger against condi pressure and has better self healing, but less stealth uptime and mobility. Overall both builds probably work equally well. I wouldn't rate them top tier and they both have many counters, but it's the best we currently have and you can have fun with them.

@ThatOtherAlt.2984 said:@"Bigpapasmurf.5623"As someone else pointed out above, the state Mirage is in now, you are FORCED to invest in sustain to be able to be viable. You can't run offensive lines and gear and expect to succeed. For your setup PU and swapping IA for SoM is the only workable solution. Yes you will be sluggish as hell, that's the price you're gonna have to pay if you want that "top" burst. Note: My advice and I do mean this, drop power altogether, go condi. I spike more burst with my condi spec than I do with either my Cele or Mara builds.

Point 2: I went back and I'm going over the build right now. I have to ask, isn't Domination strictly better than Illusions? In your setup you get 0 benefit from the extra confusion, having the clone on stealth really isn't streamlined to make it even remotely a consideration. You have plenty of finishing power after the bomb with Ax/T so there's really no need to have Shatter Storm, unless you really don't trust yourself on the trigger and need a failsafe. MoF is obviously great, but again, you only really gain on your f1, f3 with it. Swaping to Dom compliments your GS, gets you better might generation, strips boons like nuts. Roaming is a boon game, and whoever procs the most protection, usually wins. Being able to strip it is insane profit for your small roaming party.Solo roaming without tagging along with other roamers is just not a feasible practice anymore. Even thieves roam in pairs now almost exclusively.

Point 3: I noticed you run Evasive Mirror, what's the design choice behind that one? We all know reflects break stealth (cuz ANET didn't code an exception to it). So isn't it then, more cohesive with the build options to go for Blinding Dissipation? That way you get some actual value out of your f2 on a full power setup, a lot of people discount the quad proc blind, as a purely defensive option, it can save your life just as much as f4 on half the CD. Esp since you don't run Sword, :wink:

Edit: @Curunen.8729 Hi! :lol:Reserved for more points as my mind works in chaotic and mysterious ways.

Thanks for you list of inputs :)

1.) I Went illusions specifically for Shatter Storm as my clone generation would make full use of it as well as the reduced recharge of shatters. Escape artist helps with break targeting2.) I do have a condi build templated. Its decent, however its also single target mainly so thats why I wanted to keep a workable DPS build that can hit multiple.3.) Evasive mirror was mainly to help vs pewpew. I dont rely on stealth too much that I figured it was a safe choice.4.) Someone did send me a build around my existing with a couple changes. Swapping axe for sword as one of them. So far ive gotten little use out of the sword in a fight as the range from GS has proved invaluable. I admit I havent used sword much at all so im possibly missing the appeal, however most classes I fight you want to stay ranged as coming too close is asking to get rekt.

The changes ive done/tested are:

• Swap Axe for sword.....so far not impressed as its rare to find a good time to use sword w/o getting rekt in melee. I need tips on utilizing the sword itself.Swapped Dueling for Domination and went 1/2/1 (tested 1/1/2 as well)Swapped Mirrored Axes for Mirage MantelSwapped Decoy for SoI to help with some loss clone generationTested heals Oasis and signet, still undecided.

Thanks all for your suggestions so far. They are greatly appreciated.

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

@ThatOtherAlt.2984 said:@Bigpapasmurf.5623As someone else pointed out above, the state Mirage is in now, you are FORCED to invest in sustain to be able to be viable. You can't run offensive lines and gear and expect to succeed. For your setup PU and swapping IA for SoM is the only workable solution. Yes you will be sluggish as hell, that's the price you're gonna have to pay if you want that "top" burst. Note: My advice and I do mean this, drop power altogether, go condi. I spike more burst with my condi spec than I do with either my Cele or Mara builds.

Edit: @Curunen.8729 Hi! :lol:
Reserved for more points as my mind works in chaotic and mysterious ways.

1.) I Went illusions specifically for Shatter Storm as my clone generation would make full use of it as well as the reduced recharge of shatters. Escape artist helps with break targeting2.) I do have a condi build templated. Its decent, however its also single target mainly so thats why I wanted to keep a workable DPS build that can hit multiple.3.) Evasive mirror was mainly to help vs pewpew. I dont rely on stealth too much that I figured it was a safe choice.4.) Someone did send me a build around my existing with a couple changes. Swapping axe for sword as one of them. So far ive gotten little use out of the sword in a fight as the range from GS has proved invaluable. I admit I havent used sword much at all so im possibly missing the appeal, however most classes I fight you want to stay ranged as coming too close is asking to get rekt.

• Swap Axe for sword.....so far not impressed as its rare to find a good time to use sword w/o getting rekt in melee. I need tips on utilizing the sword itself.Swapped Dueling for Domination and went 1/2/1 (tested 1/1/2 as well)Swapped Mirrored Axes for Mirage MantelSwapped Decoy for SoI to help with some loss clone generationTested heals Oasis and signet, still undecided.

I assume you're making the common mistake of trying to close on kills with the sword. Sword in its current state is a pure utility weapon with low CD on demand evade. Nothing more. Once you get into that mindset it becomes about as useful as Staff. Tho diff mechanics so it takes getting used to.Without knowing how you play, your encounters and if you solo/duo/party I can only speculate. But with the current build I don't see how you survive. I'm a big supporter of double f1 even on hybrid builds because no1 expects the 2nd one and if you get your clone generation in check. You can f1 double bomb with a 3 clone and immediately followup with a 1 clone + caster for some devastating combos. But if they dodge either of the two, the build seems to offer very little in terms of salvaging from there.

@ThatOtherAlt.2984 said:

@ThatOtherAlt.2984 said:@Bigpapasmurf.5623As someone else pointed out above, the state Mirage is in now, you are FORCED to invest in sustain to be able to be viable. You can't run offensive lines and gear and expect to succeed. For your setup PU and swapping IA for SoM is the only workable solution. Yes you will be sluggish as hell, that's the price you're gonna have to pay if you want that "top" burst. Note: My advice and I do mean this, drop power altogether, go condi. I spike more burst with my condi spec than I do with either my Cele or Mara builds.

Edit: @"Curunen.8729" Hi! :lol:

I assume you're making the common mistake of trying to close on kills with the sword. Sword in its current state is a pure utility weapon with low CD on demand evade. Nothing more. Once you get into that mindset it becomes about as useful as Staff. Tho diff mechanics so it takes getting used to.Without knowing how you play, your encounters and if you solo/duo/party I can only speculate. But with the current build I don't see how you survive. I'm a big supporter of double f1 even on hybrid builds because no1 expects the 2nd one and if you get your clone generation in check. You can f1 double bomb with a 3 clone and immediately followup with a 1 clone + caster for some devastating combos. But if they dodge either of the two, the build seems to offer very little in terms of salvaging from there.

Some awesome person provided me with this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PiwAc+FlRwkYKsLmJOqWpvWA-zVRYDhJGd4DJQhQmqgOlAKeWqyMC-w

I have been using close to. Losing decoy was hard of an adjustment, however I have been winning a couple fights (including a 2v1 today). Think I swapped 1 trait but kept the traitlines. Still debating on swapping sword out, and looking at diff OH options. I like the on demand stealth from torch as it gives me a safe stomp.

You are right on closing some kills with sword, and more often than not it fails.

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

I have been using close to. Losing decoy was hard of an adjustment, however I have been winning a couple fights (including a 2v1 today). Think I swapped 1 trait but kept the traitlines. Still debating on swapping sword out, and looking at diff OH options. I like the on demand stealth from torch as it gives me a safe stomp.

You are right on closing some kills with sword, and more often than not it fails.

This is exactly what I was talking about, you lose some spike but you gain raw power via might gen. Power > Crit >Crit dmg is always true.Nice pick with Strength sig on GS. I like it.

I also really like the fireworks rune choice, nice vigor and the only fury source. MoFrag more or less ensures you'll get crits on the bomb. I'll be honest this build would really have me paying close attention when fighting.Still fails when focused in group fights. When team fighting I always target the Enemy Mirage while they try to snipe a guildie and 8/10 times I pressure them so much that I render them useless running for their lives in the background. Just as an example.

As cool as the build is and boy I'm itching to play this. I don't think it can be fully utilized unless you have a dedicated team comp to plug it into.

@ThatOtherAlt.2984 said:

This is exactly what I was talking about, you lose some spike but you gain raw power via might gen. Power > Crit >Crit dmg is always true.Nice pick with Strength sig on GS. I like it.

I also really like the fireworks rune choice, nice vigor and the only fury source. MoFrag more or less ensures you'll get crits on the bomb. I'll be honest this build would really have me paying close attention when fighting.Still fails when focused in group fights. When team fighting I always target the Enemy Mirage while they try to snipe a guildie and 8/10 times I pressure them so much that I render them useless running for their lives in the background. Just as an example.

I thought I was editing, please delete.

@ThatOtherAlt.2984 said:

As cool as the build is and boy I'm itching to play this. I don't think it can be fully utilized unless you have a dedicated team comp to plug it into.

Team fights is def another thing...that and 1v1'ing something with more mobility like Daredevil/deadeye. Even reapers put up a hard fight most of the time. Strength sigil goes great with GS ambush...esp when there are multiple ppl to hit. I feel like there is 1 more change I need to make, to weps

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

Team fights is def another thing...that and 1v1'ing something with more mobility like Daredevil/deadeye. Even reapers put up a hard fight most of the time. Strength sigil goes great with GS ambush...esp when there are multiple ppl to hit. I feel like there is 1 more change I need to make, to weps

I'd swap some of that valk for zerker or sin to get over the 50% crit threshhold. With a single source of fury,

@ThatOtherAlt.2984 said:

I'd swap some of that valk for zerker or sin to get over the 50% crit threshhold. With a single source of fury,

Thinking on trying DPS scepter. Only use I get in sword so far is mainly OOC for the ambush. Scepter I have the block and can still attack from range so im not locked out of ranged attacks for 8 seconds lol

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

Thinking on trying DPS scepter. Only use I get in sword so far is mainly OOC for the ambush. Scepter I have the block and can still attack from range so im not locked out of ranged attacks for 8 seconds lol

Scepter can work for power, however, when I tried that here is what I thought. The damage is meh and many currently use unblock-able skills to attack which makes the block only semi useful and kinda hit or miss. Also once you go with scepter IMO the best part of scepter was always the torment on block which would suggest condi is a better choice. Also the clone generation on scepter is slower and no longer provides 2 clones on block just 1 and the other clones from auto are often too slow to spawn for wvw combat. The slower clone generation means having less ways to get a first clone out which is key for using the Self-Deception to get 3 clones up before they can be destroyed. So I would say axe or sword are probably going to work better. The other thing I find hard to deal with on scepter now as mirage is we cannot afford to sit and wait to get hit for the block now anyway because 1 dodge doesnt allow for as many ways to benefit from the situation and also makes it harder to escape when they hit with unblockable and you get low on damage while hoping for the block to help. These and other reasons are why I just went to core for power now in wvw and if I run Mirage I only run condi.

@Moradorin.6217 said:

Scepter can work for power, however, when I tried that here is what I thought. The damage is meh and many currently use unblock-able skills to attack which makes the block only semi useful and kinda hit or miss. Also once you go with scepter IMO the best part of scepter was always the torment on block which would suggest condi is a better choice. Also the clone generation on scepter is slower and no longer provides 2 clones on block just 1 and the other clones from auto are often too slow to spawn for wvw combat. The slower clone generation means having less ways to get a first clone out which is key for using the Self-Deception to get 3 clones up before they can be destroyed. So I would say axe or sword are probably going to work better. The other thing I find hard to deal with on scepter now as mirage is we cannot afford to sit and wait to get hit for the block now anyway because 1 dodge doesnt allow for as many ways to benefit from the situation and also makes it harder to escape when they hit with unblockable and you get low on damage while hoping for the block to help. These and other reasons are why I just went to core for power now in wvw and if I run Mirage I only run condi.

Something I question is how well does a DPS staff work for damage and utility compared to axe/torch

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

Something I question is how well does a DPS staff work for damage and utility compared to axe/torch

Not sure I mean u would get better results from retaliation, staff has good 1st clone generation and a combo field. Staff also can give some weakness, and for sure better mobility vs GSso I think it may work better than scepter for a weapon when you swap off GS. Im not suggesting staff is necessarily the best choice but it does arguably offer a better option than scepter. scepter = burst on 3, block,but slower clones no weakness no combo field, staff = some extra mobility good 1st clone generation, weakness, no block but does randomly offer some aegis.

I just noticed you said compared to axe torch.I would say axe is nice forthe clone gen but for the fact you have to be up close which is often undesireable esp on a 1shot build. Also, although axe provides evade and detarget its tied to a clunkly 900 range skill that doesnt work outside that range, both staff and sword have the advantage of working better out of range imo vs axe and torch is only good forthe stealth and cover condi for a power setup (and a little cc but not very time-able cc)

So not sure axe may be the better choice if you expect to be in 900 range, otherwise sword, staff, scepter may give more benefit.

Staff as a dps weapon, only works as condi PvE and it’s still far behind ax/X.Scepter got nuked into oblivion. Sc3 lands the same amount as ax3 does now. One being a 2 sec channel, the other being a .5 aftercast, instant skill with detarget and evade attached.You don’t need a Phd to figure out which is one is better in that particular case.

@ThatOtherAlt.2984 said:Staff as a dps weapon, only works as condi PvE and it’s still far behind ax/X.Scepter got nuked into oblivion. Sc3 lands the same amount as ax3 does now. One being a 2 sec channel, the other being a .5 aftercast, instant skill with detarget and evade attached.You don’t need a Phd to figure out which is one is better in that particular case.

Personally on power I would still opt for sword not axe or scepter, but what I was trying to get at is it some what depends on how you intend to use it (play style&build + terrian&opponent matters). I would agree mostly with what you say but it totaly ignores that axe is limited to only being able actually work when you can be closer than 900 and to be willing to step right to your opponent. If the opponent is in wvw that can mean stepping into a huge stack of AE, into a crowd, up close to a trapper, etc. In other words , its not always better to have axe's burst vs scepter's burst, even with the evade and detarget. Scepter's block can work from any range and swords evade again isnt depenent upon being in 900 range with them targeted, etc. therefore, in at least some situations that axe burst, evade, detarget wouldnt even trigger would literlally be useless compared to scepter or sword, similarly staffs phase retreat adds mobility with or without a target.

@Moradorin.6217 said:

@"ThatOtherAlt.2984" said:Staff as a dps weapon, only works as condi PvE and it’s still far behind ax/X.Scepter got nuked into oblivion. Sc3 lands the same amount as ax3 does now. One being a 2 sec channel, the other being a .5 aftercast, instant skill with detarget and evade attached.You don’t need a Phd to figure out which is one is better in that particular case.

Personally on power I would still opt for sword not axe or scepter, but what I was trying to get at is it some what depends on how you intend to use it (play style&build + terrian&opponent matters). I would agree mostly with what you say but it totaly ignores that axe is limited to only being able actually work when you can be closer than 900 and to be willing to step right to your opponent. If the opponent is in wvw that can mean stepping into a huge stack of AE, into a crowd, up close to a trapper, etc. In other words , its not always better to have axe's burst vs scepter's burst, even with the evade and detarget. Scepter's block can work from any range and swords evade again isnt depenent upon being in 900 range with them targeted, etc. therefore, in at least some situations that axe burst, evade, detarget wouldnt even trigger would literlally be useless compared to scepter or sword, similarly staffs phase retreat adds mobility with or without a target.

Thats my concern too is the PbAoE / Melee monsters (ie reaper). The less I stay melee, the better. I feel like when I swap to sword in a fight, its usually for stealth on torch as well as MAYBE the torch 5, then im locked out of my ranged option for another 7ish seconds where i have to facetank or blow some CD's. GEtting away sword is awesome, cant deny that, however thats the best use for me for sword.

Wish mesmer had more ranged MH or pure ranged (ie shortbow)

Axe I used when I had no choice to melee and had no CD's left. Axe used to have good DPS snd using 2 twice and then #3, f1 that and you had a hard to dodge burst as all clones were super close. It was a "final burst" that was a make or break the fight. Either I won and they downed, or it wasnt enough damage and I was done. Rarely did I have an escape option up (well...semi rarely as I try to keep a jaunt for such a thing). The break targeting from it was a bonus and i believe helped.