Can we get the /roll emote back from guild wars 1?

I would love this. Right now I have 36 characters that I play. It's too many to choose from so I use a random number generator to decide who I'm going to play at various times. Right now I'm using random.org, but it would make my life simpler if that functionality was in game.

@Ohoni.6057 said:It's called "evade" in GW2. I have mine bound to a mouse button and it's very handy.

That's a completely different thing. /roll didn't make your character move. It was more a command than an emote, like /age./roll simulates rolling a die with however many sides you type. So "/roll 100" generates a number, visible in the emote channel, between 1 and 100.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@Ohoni.6057 said:It's called "evade" in GW2. I have mine bound to a mouse button and it's very handy.

That's a completely different thing. /roll didn't make your character move. It was more a command than an emote, like /age./roll simulates rolling a die with however many sides you type. So "/roll 100" generates a number, visible in the emote channel, between 1 and 100.

That sounds like something I recall people doing in FFXI back in Jeuno to gamble money.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Roll

/roll was ... a tactic used in Hero Battles to determine the winner before that arena was removed from the game.

That's probably one reason they never enabled it in the first place.

Disabling methods doesn't help in any way or form. Exploiters will find a way and regular players get the short end of the stick. There was also event days aptly named as "Red Resigns" where the red team, can you guess it, resigned. You don't need a die for that and the other team is red by 50% chance. Also Hero Battles were the real deal. I got the first tier of the Commander title before they removed it.

@Shard.4791 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

/roll was ... a tactic used in Hero Battles to determine the winner before that arena was removed from the game.

Disabling methods doesn't help in any way or form. Exploiters will find a way and regular players get the short end of the stick. There was also event days aptly named as "Red Resigns" where the red team, can you guess it, resigned. You don't need a die for that and the other team is red by 50% chance. Also Hero Battles were the real deal. I got the first tier of the Commander title before they removed it.

me too! got rank 3.

think about all the giveaways we could do in Role play on lfg for the roll ! twitch streamers would be amazed!

@Shard.4791 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

My point is that ANet thinks it helps. It might even have been true during GW1 and when they were designing GW2. At this point, it seems like effort on ANet's part to cater to a small part of the community, when there are third party work-arounds.

I don't mean that this is an ideal situation, simply that it might not be the best use of ANet's limited resources.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Wasn't /roll disabled in Guild Wars long, long ago? It never worked for me, and I played Guild Wars from January 2006 on. Of course, I might not have tried it right away.

Yes... there was actually a gambling controversy back in Guild Wars 1 as a result of /roll. Somehow I think it triggered concerns of legal action if it was perceived as unlawful online gambling... Back in 2005-6, that was a credible concern that the game could have been shut down over an accusation by some District Attorney looking for a promotion. These days I think the law knows a little more clearly where the line between 'gambling online' and 'not gambling' is... but there might still be a zealous DA or two out there.

And that just means that adding this would also mean paying some lawyers some fees to make sure everything is safe in every single region Guild Wars 2 allows accounts to be made.

Archived