Starter bagpack to 32 slots

Vajra.3914

Just have them double it to 40 slots right away, why stop at the arbitrary number at which craftable bags have their current max. The probably could switch it to 80 slots too if they wanted to. Most likely the influx of new items from the next content will eat up any increase immediately anyways.

@"Hevoskuuri.3891" He did not say "let us switch the starter bag for one with 32 slots" but "it would make sense for the starter bag[..] to HAVE 32 slots". No switching by the user involved.

@Shikigami.4013 said:Just have them double it to 40 slots right away, why stop at the arbitrary number at which craftable bags have their current max. The probably could switch it to 80 slots too if they wanted to. Most likely the influx of new items from the next content will eat up any increase immediately anyways.

@"Hevoskuuri.3891" He did not say "let us switch the starter bag for one with 32 slots" but "it would make sense for the starter bag[..] to HAVE 32 slots". No switching by the user involved.

Since all the random junk you have to carry around with you that you get for literally playing the game takes about 40 inventory spaces anyway, yeah, i second this. Anet should double the starter backpack to 40 slots. And as you said, with new living world, we'll just get more junk to carry around with us.

@Shikigami.4013 said:@"Hevoskuuri.3891" He did not say "let us switch the starter bag for one with 32 slots" but "it would make sense for the starter bag[..] to HAVE 32 slots". No switching by the user involved.

erm...no. He specifically said "it would make sense for the starter bagpack to have 32 slots as well, since it can't be switched out with better bag". So yea can it be switched out or not? I honestly thought you could but now I'm confused as I've never actually had a reason to try.

@Shikigami.4013 said:@"Hevoskuuri.3891" He did not say "let us switch the starter bag for one with 32 slots" but "it would make sense for the starter bag[..] to HAVE 32 slots". No switching by the user involved.

Ah, I misunderstood. With all the junk the game keeps spitting at you (not to mention the level up rewards alone), the started pack should definitely be doubled to a 40-slot one.

@YoukiNeko.6047 said:I'm not sure that lvl 1 players get so much junk to need 32 slots bags.And once you reach lvl 80 you should have enough mats to just craft couple of 20 slots bags and be done with it.

It's actually not enough. 10 slots are occupied by key items from HoT (crowbars shovels etc.) And that's just the beginning. The 5 20 bag slots yoi get are filled to the brim with random junk that xou can't destroy cause you need it for something obscure. When i get home i'll post a picture of what i'm talking about.

Having starter backpack be 40 slots is the fair thing to do.

Don't understand the bad space issue, you can deposit crafting materials and sell things on trading post right from the bag, how do people still run out of space? Just make another character or use the bank and take notice of your bag space. The only time I fill my bags is during meta events and you can take a minute to salvage/sell your items, which I do. That being said a collection to get a bigger started bag would be very welcome.

Now people who just make a reasonable suggestion to have more space in the starter bag (which did not grow by a single slot in 5 years) are potential trolls? If you seriously cannot tell this reasonable post apart from a troll post please never apply for a forum moderation job ever. And yes, you can swap it out. And no, this does not mean it is unreasonable to want to have its size be increased after 5 years of playing and adding thousands of items that you may want to carry with you. Making life easier for starters is generally not a bad idea for a 5 year old game.

@Shikigami.4013 said:Now people who just make a reasonable suggestion to have more space in the starter bag (which did not grow by a single slot in 5 years) are potential trolls? If you seriously cannot tell this reasonable post apart from a troll post please never apply for a forum moderation job ever. And yes, you can swap it out. And no, this does not mean it is unreasonable to want to have its size be increased after 5 years of playing and adding thousands of items that you may want to carry with you. Making life easier for starters is generally not a bad idea for a 5 year old game.

Inventory space is one of the things that you can increase by buying more slots from the Gem Store or go after 32 slots bag.I don't see how are we trolling given that you can do fine with 5x20 slots bags. You just need to learn how to manage it (stack the pouches that can stack). Open and salvage the items that cannot. From time to time visit a NPC to sell the junk runes.

Now if you decided to carry 50 tonics and toys, then you need to buy more slots.

I'm currently completing specializations for alts, and I can do full HP run from VB to DS + DS meta and couple of PoF HPs (first 2 maps) with 1 starter bag and 3 - 15 slots bags without running out of space.

@YoukiNeko.6047 said:

Inventory space is one of the things that you can increase by buying more slots from the Gem Store or go after 32 slots bag.I know that.I don't see how are we trolling given that you can do fine with 5x20 slots bags.I never said anyone was trolling, the poster 10 minutes before me said he was not sure if the OP was trollingYou just need to learn how to manage it (stack the pouches that can stack). Open and salvage the items that cannot. From time to time visit a NPC to sell the junk runes.My post was not about how to get rid of items, it was about carrying items around with you that you may want to carry around.Now if you decided to carry 50 tonics and toys, then you need to buy more slots.Or you need to ask Arenanet politely if they would be willing to give the players a bone and increase the starter bag to make it easier for starters (and of course for everyone else at the same time). You can still buy more slots as you can never have enough unless they add a wardrobe system for "fun things" you mentioned yourself. All those items were not designed and put into the game so that they rot in your bank or on a storage alt, they were put in for people to have fun with.I'm currently completing specializations for alts, and I can do full HP run from VB to DS + DS meta and couple of PoF HPs (first 2 maps) with 1 starter bag and 3 - 15 slots bags without running out of space.That's great for you but offtopic. This is about starter bags, not about how great people can do when they play alts on which they don't carry anything around with them people may want to carry around on a char played regularly, probably not even a second armor set to switch to.

@Shikigami.4013 said:

@YoukiNeko.6047 said:

Inventory space is one of the things that you can increase by buying more slots from the Gem Store or go after 32 slots bag.I know that.I don't see how are we trolling given that you can do fine with 5x20 slots bags.I never said anyone was trolling, the poster 10 minutes before me said he was not sure if the OP was trollingYou just need to learn how to manage it (stack the pouches that can stack). Open and salvage the items that cannot. From time to time visit a NPC to sell the junk runes.My post was not about how to get rid of items, it was about carrying items around with you that you may want to carry around.Now if you decided to carry 50 tonics and toys, then you need to buy more slots.Or you need to ask Arenanet politely if they would be willing to give the players a bone and increase the starter bag to make it easier for starters (and of course for everyone else at the same time). You can still buy more slots as you can never have enough unless they add a wardrobe system for "fun things" you mentioned yourself. All those items were not designed and put into the game so that they rot in your bank or on a storage alt, they were put in for people to have fun with.I'm currently completing specializations for alts, and I can do full HP run from VB to DS + DS meta and couple of PoF HPs (first 2 maps) with 1 starter bag and 3 - 15 slots bags without running out of space.That's great for you but offtopic. This is about starter bags, not about how great people can do when they play alts on which they don't carry anything around with them people may want to carry around on a char played regularly, probably not even a second armor set to switch to.

I see. So again why do lvl 1 players need 40 slot starter bag?It makes more sense if people ask for easier access to 24-28 slot bags than to have 32-40 slots starter bag.

P.S.

I'm currently completing specializations for alts, and I can do full HP run from VB to DS + DS meta and couple of PoF HPs (first 2 maps) with 1 starter bag and 3 - 15 slots bags without running out of space.

If lvl 80 with 65 slots can run all HoT maps + DS meta chain and still have free space in its bags.Then surely characters that don't have access to this maps can do even better with the bag space.

@YoukiNeko.6047 said:I see. So again why do lvl 1 players need 40 slot starter bag?Who said they need one? The game ran for 5 years without them. Who said we need mounts in the new expansion, or a new living story? We did't have them when the game was released and we could still play. Who are you to dismiss a suggestion because you feel it is "not needed"? Nothing is "needed".It makes more sense if people ask for easier access to 24-28 slot bags than to have 32-40 slots starter bag.Makes more sense because? Because you feel new players don't "need" more space? Or because you don't think anyone "needs" more space? Or because you think noone should get anything for free, everyone should have to pay for expensive gemstore upgrades or expensive craftable bigger bags? None of them "make more sense" than a bigger starter bag, It is just a different and not free way of getting more space, and who will be the people who will most likely be able to buy them? Not the starters.If lvl 80 with 65 slots can run all HoT maps + DS meta chain and still have free space in its bags.Then surely characters that don't have access to this maps can do even better with the bag space.Now you quote yourself and then basically say the same thing as you said before, what was the point of that? My reply "That's great for you but offtopic. This is about starter bags, not about how great people can do when they play alts on which they don't carry anything around with them people may want to carry around on a char played regularly, probably not even a second armor set to switch to." is the same to this as before. Also, you do not stop being a starter at the moment you have your first level 80, that level does not make you a veteran, neither does it make you experienced in the game or rich enough to fill up slots with huge bags. You can be 80 in a matter of days or you can even use those instant level 80 items that come free with expansions. They will still be starters and wil have access to those maps just like you.

PS: I am done with this. You have said nothing that justifies your rejection of the suggestion and your arguments make no sense. No further reply coming.

@Shikigami.4013 said:

@YoukiNeko.6047 said:I see. So again why do lvl 1 players need 40 slot starter bag?Who said they need one? The game ran for 5 years without them. Who said we need mounts in the new expansion, or a new living story? We did't have them when the game was released and we could still play. Who are you to dismiss a suggestion because you feel it is "not needed"? Nothing is "needed".

Well the OP wants them and he is the one who need one. I wanted mounts and living story actually. And we did have living story at the very beginning, it is one of the things they advertised (you know living breathing changing world). I don't really dismiss his suggestion I only join the discussion.

It makes more sense if people ask for easier access to 24-28 slot bags than to have 32-40 slots starter bag.Makes more sense because? Because you feel new players don't "need" more space? Or because you don't think anyone "needs" more space? Or because you think noone should get anything for free, everyone should have to pay for expensive gemstore upgrades or expensive craftable bigger bags? None of them "make more sense" than a bigger starter bag, It is just a different and not free way of getting more space, and who will be the people who will most likely be able to buy them? Not the starters.

Makes more sense because it enhances the experience. -> You progress in the game your character lvls up you upgrade your bags and get more of them.About the free part well we do receive a 20 slot bag for free and then some small bags again for free from the story and leveling up. Do you want ascended set with 10 32 bags for free for every alt you create? I thought that part of the game is actually playing it and getting to the point where you earn this items. Progression again?

Now about the expensive stuff I by no means support any of them. All my bags are 20 slots or less and I don't have the gold for bigger one. I would be happy if in future releases we get additional ways of obtaining bigger bags but I won't really mind if we don't.The gem store items are 50/50 as ANET do need money to keep the game running, then again you might buy them with gold when there is a bank/bag slot promotion. It might not be cheap for everyone but at least we are given an option here.

If lvl 80 with 65 slots can run all HoT maps + DS meta chain and still have free space in its bags.Then surely characters that don't have access to this maps can do even better with the bag space.Now you quote yourself and then basically say the same thing as you said before, what was the point of that? My reply "That's great for you but offtopic. This is about starter bags, not about how great people can do when they play alts on which they don't carry anything around with them people may want to carry around on a char played regularly, probably not even a second armor set to switch to." is the same to this as before

PS: I am done with this. You have said nothing that justifies your rejection of the suggestion and your arguments make no sense. No further reply coming.

The comment about the alt is that most starter zones and new accounts don't even compare to the loot that old accounts on HoT / PoF zones get when running meta events and such. I actually create new characters from time to time. And while there are some occasions that my inventory might fill up usually there is NPC nearby that I use to sell the junk items.

Let's face it the inventory space and management in this game is one of the best.

@YoukiNeko.6047 said:Let's face it the inventory space and management in this game is one of the best.

As an old player trying to get back into the game, I'd disagree. There's a reason people refer to GW as Inventory Wars 2. Even SWTOR which tries to rinse money from its playerbase gives you a 30 slot inventory up front and an 80 slot bank.

You may have got your inventory skills honed to perfection, but for new players it's not just about the space, it's about knowing what's worth keeping and what's not. There's a dizzying amount of items in this game. I played a lot at release and only recently came back, and I still struggle. At the end of the day, do you want new players to potentially struggle with their inventory space (and pretend that that's an essential skill that we play video games for), or get on playing the game and having fun? :)

@Kelarq.7894 said:

@YoukiNeko.6047 said:Let's face it the inventory space and management in this game is one of the best.

As an old player trying to get back into the game, I'd disagree. There's a reason people refer to GW as Inventory Wars 2. Even SWTOR which tries to rinse money from its playerbase gives you a 30 slot inventory up front and an 80 slot bank.

You may have got your inventory skills honed to perfection, but for new players it's not just about the space, it's about knowing what's worth keeping and what's not. There's a dizzying amount of items in this game. I played a lot at release and only recently came back, and I still struggle. At the end of the day, do you want new players to potentially struggle with their inventory space (and pretend that that's an essential skill that we play video games for), or get on playing the game and having fun? :)

Actually a friend of mine started playing recently on free account, and he is praising the inventory system and deposit all materials.And when I started GW2 I was really impressed with how easy and how much space we got.

You say you are returning player, did you start again from scratch on a new character or jumped to old 80?

@Kelarq.7894 said:

To be completely honest, I want new players to have fun when playing this game. That being said, inventory management is a skill one needs to have/develop not only for this game but for the real world as well. Why not get the practice one needs in a virtual world where the only consequence is not being able to pick up the next shiny for a little bit?

And as for my earlier comment (this is directed at Shikigami) the reason I mentioned trolling is because if people were just given a 32 slot bag whenever they started a new character, that would invalidate the money and work invested by those who crafted their own bag/s to that level. Unless of course the OP was talking about a game-wide change. I could get behind something like that.

@Vajra.3914 said:As the title suggest, since the new cap of the inventory bag has been brought to 32, it would make sense for the starter bagpack to have 32 slots as well, since it can't be switched out with better bag.

Or at least making some kind of scavenge hunt to improve it.

I don't understand why people want to trench in and fight tooth-and-nail over every little idea. OP's suggestion is great. How would it hurt anybody to make the starter bag 32 slots?? It wouldn't "invalidate" the work of people who have already crafted 32-slot bags. Because there are ten bag-slots. And then... it starts all over again with each alternate character.

I've never played a game in my life that showers you with so much worthless garbage. I actually took the time to unlock ten bag-slots and to craft ten 32-slot bags. And I would enthusiastically WELCOME this change.

@YoukiNeko.6047 said:I'm not sure that lvl 1 players get so much junk to need 32 slots bags.And once you reach lvl 80 you should have enough mats to just craft couple of 20 slots bags and be done with it.

They do.

And I get so much random junk at 80 that I certainly need bigger bags. Or Anet needs to stop making so much junk drop and start making coins and coin tokens drop instead. 20 slot bags also should not cost an arm and a leg considering that map events only reward 1 silver 55 copper and 20 slot bags (more) are actually a NECESSITY.

Here's the thing, this is a game, it is meant to provide light entertainment. So if you are saying something like, "inventory management is a skill one needs to have/develop not only for this game but for the real world as well. Why not get the practice one needs in a virtual world," THEN I'M AFRAID YOU'VE MISSED THE POINT ENTIRELY.

There is no reason why we should even have a finite inventory, let alone such a ridiculously and unacceptably small one as we have at the moment.

Me and my friends were actually just discussing whether the next Bethesda game would even have inventory weight restriction because it seems like Bethesda is removing a lot of the content which produces an unnecessary restriction on the player while also requiring an unnecessary amount of time for the developers to implement and try balancing when the player is still just going to resent the system anyways no matter how much time the devs spend on it.

Archived