mounting is getting REALLY bad

Ayakaru.6583

for the last few weeks I haven't once been able to mount properly. The camera freezes in place and I watch myself ride of into the sunset like some bad Lucky Luke parody, except the sunset is usually a swarm of enemies, or the sulphur of Joko's domain.I'd say 80% of the cases it only takes 3-4 seconds, but I've seen it take up to almost half a minute before the camera returns to me.PLEASE fix this, I can't use mounts properly like this. This waiting time resets everytime you use a waypoint, or haven't used a mount for a minute since dismounting....I'd provide pictures for showing the problem, but you've disabled uploading images on the new forum, when will that be fixed?

@Dawdler.8521 said:Repaired the client? You can upload to imgur and post the image instead.

I know for a fact its not a clientside problem as many people complain about it.

Imgur sounds like a good parttime fix, but its kinda silly we have to use a 3rd party image station, i guess anet just loves involving 3rd parties in their own proper functioning..

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:Repaired the client? You can upload to imgur and post the image instead.

I know for a fact its not a clientside problem as many people complain about it.

Imgur sounds like a good parttime fix, but its kinda silly we have to use a 3rd party image station, i guess anet just loves involving 3rd parties in their own proper functioning..

it never happens for me, but then again I don't mind doing some basic house cleaning on my system as I don't purport to "know for a fact" that it's not my client or my internet, but good luck to you

It happens for me pretty much anytime I mount after loading into an area. It usually lasts for 20-60 seconds for me.

What really irks me is that the mounts of everyone around me load up instantly when I load in (even the super flashy ones), yet I'm stuck sitting in the dirt for ~30+ seconds while I watch other people waypoint in and run off right away on their fully loaded mounts.

Either I run off on foot for 20-60 seconds after I waypoint/map/load into an area before I mount up (and hope it loads), or I sit at the waypoint for 20-60 seconds before I try to mount up (and hope it loads). As there are so many enemies absolutely freaking everywhere in PoF zones, even at some waypoints, I'm pretty much fighting constantly since I cannot spawn in mounted or mount up and run off right away.

But again, at least I get to watch everyone else load in and run off on their fully rendered mounts for ~30+ seconds while mine loads.

It actually does appear to be a client-site issue with asset loading. And by that I mean the game client itself, not a more general PC issue. I think mounts, particularly the new skins, are loading at a much lower priority than most other assets. Other players' mounts seem to appear faster, perhaps because they use different (likely lower quality) graphical assets that are loading before our own mounts.

For me, this only happens with non-default mount skins. The standard ones load up instantly, or with an extremely short delay that is easily missed. The new skins usually take a few seconds extra, but it can be longer under some circumstances. It's definitely worse when loading into an area with a lot of other players, or a higher than usual number of buildings and other objects. The delay is much shorter if I watch disk activity and don't try to mount until it has settled back to normal idle levels after loading nearby assets. Though even after waiting, there is still a more noticeable delay with the new skins, which makes me think that they are not loaded at all until you actually mount.

I'll take a guess that most people not having this issue are either using standard mount skins or have the game installed on a fast SSD. If you have a slower HDD (like the 5400RPM models in many low/mid-range notebooks) the problem will likely the worse. It might help to defragment the HDD the game is on (or defrag just the .dat file with a program like Contig or Defraggler), move the game to a different physical disk than your operating system, or close/disable any other programs that could be causing higher than normal disk usage.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:for the last few weeks I haven't once been able to mount properly. The camera freezes in place and I watch myself ride of into the sunset like some bad Lucky Luke parody, except the sunset is usually a swarm of enemies, or the sulphur of Joko's domain.I'd say 80% of the cases it only takes 3-4 seconds, but I've seen it take up to almost half a minute before the camera returns to me.PLEASE fix this, I can't use mounts properly like this. This waiting time resets everytime you use a waypoint, or haven't used a mount for a minute since dismounting....I'd provide pictures for showing the problem, but you've disabled uploading images on the new forum, when will that be fixed?

Why they took away our ability to link a picture directly from our computers is beyond me...

Mounting and dismounting are now 'maybe' things.

My dismount left me with no mount but skills to dive and nothing more.

Mounting/dismounting is in dire shape.

Archived