Why no achievements? - Hungry Cat Scavenger Hunt

Cronospere.8143

@zombyturtle.5980 said:Yes please. It would be really useful for keeping track of which ones you have already unlocked too. I unlocked some ages ago and forgot which ones ive already done.

There's a widget on the Wiki page for keeping track of what's unlocked, and what's not: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hungry_cat_scavenger_hunt#Hungry_cat_locations

Good luck.

@Cronospere.8143 said:These days the hungry cat scavenger hunt, has become pretty big. Why isnt there any achievements attached to those?I would suggest to add hidden achievements, titles and items for unlocking the cats (and maybe dogs in the future?)

They stated a while ago that they don't want to add any achievements to this, as they don't want anyone to feel compelled to gather the cats, and achievements/titles would make some players feel compelled to do so. This is meant to be a purely fun exercise for players to complete, not something you should feel like you have to grind.

The reward for unlocking the cats is the cats themselves.

I think it's a great system - if you want them you can go and unlock them, if you don't then you can ignore them with no downsides. If you're willing to do some research first you can even pick and choose which cats to unlock and skip any you don't like having.

Please no, its at least one of the things that is fun to do that doesnt have this "MUST COMPLETE because its in my achievements" crowd hanging over it.

Its become so standard that everything needs an achievement for the sake of completionism, that the actual pure enjoyment of the tasks themselves get lost at times.

Ofcourse some tasks do feel better with the hand holding of achievements. (theres text there, guiding the player) and others are more interesting with no (hidden) achievements so that people pay attention to the world. (like the way you find the griffon area... which is more indicated through items and dialogue)

I personally like it when the world itself gives you the hints or lets you figure it out by observing the world and a reasonable amount of trial and error.

The cats personally could give a bit more of a hint as to which food they want (in their dialogue)... as finding them is hard enough.Ofcourse if its intended to be more of a Community effort thing (like some mystic forge recipes were at first) then this works out pretty well as you can find guides these days that point you in the right direction.

Where is the achievement in following a dulfy guide and collecting cats? far to many achievements in this game are already close to impossible without using a guide, which in my opinion is terrible design. All these 30 coins here 30 coins there achievements need to stop, they are not fun in the slightest, they are just lazy design that Anet thinks they can call content, and the longer people let them get away with it they will.

I find it weird that people feel like they have to do achievements..If you want to do all achievements, then you actually want to complete the entire game. Why would the cats be any different, as it is a part of the game?I don't care about the culture armor as an example... but there is a way to track them.Why should I use other programs (ofcourse i used it, to track this) when we have ingame possibilities that can do the same?

I did find achievements more fun when there wasn't any real reward associated with completing them. I understand why games need extra carrots to help some types of players keep mainlining endorphins from getting attaboys|attagirls|atta[tbd], but surely it's okay to have some things in the game that are major accomplishments that aren't noted by the game?

I would like it if they add achievement for the cats. The achievement can be just a list of all the cats and can give 0 AP and nothing else.It would be useful when I'm trying to track if I'm missing any cats.And yeah I know there are third party tools but if it can be done inside the game I don't see any reason to use tool X or tool Y.I'm playing the game not some random tools.

@OriOri.8724 said:

@Cronospere.8143 said:These days the hungry cat scavenger hunt, has become pretty big. Why isnt there any achievements attached to those?I would suggest to add hidden achievements, titles and items for unlocking the cats (and maybe dogs in the future?)

They stated a while ago that they don't want to add any achievements to this, as they don't want anyone to feel compelled to gather the cats, and achievements/titles would make some players feel compelled to do so. This is meant to be a purely fun exercise for players to complete, not something you should feel like you have to grind.

Wow, ANet. That's a stupid reason not to give something achievements/AP. So they're saying that someone with OCD or something that needs to have completionism on achievements should be forced to pay 1000g for a P.O.S. title and a few AP because it's there... but cats given achievements, or heck perhaps a title like "Crazy Cat Lady" or something would make it not fun for those people who would collect them?

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Are you wishing no more cats/dogs/whatever be added over the years? Or, where should the cut-off for the proposed Achievement be? Catmander? Pot of Soup? Familiar? Ghostly? Those requiring HoT? Just the first three?

Kinda like how no more minis can ever be added to the game because they have achievements for an arbitrary set of minis in a collection... Set I, II, etc.? It's kind of too bad they can no longer add minis because of those pesky achievements! :(

Also, if they don't give the achievement any AP, I don't see why they can't just keep appending the achievement to have an updated list of cats/dogs/whatever. Like how they handled adding the Ellen Kiel's Office POI for map completion. Amazingly having something keep track of map completion didn't make it so they couldn't handle ever adding additional POIs, etc.

Archived