What's up with these 10.xx.xx.xx servers in wvw?

Shazmataz.1423

@Shazmataz.1423 said:My ping has jumped 100-150ms on these 10.xx.xx.xx servers. Not fun in wvw.

ANet is renting server space from Amazon WS. Those servers are located in Virginia, which is enough to account for a 10-30 ms increase, but not 100-150, compared to the original data center in Dallas. Use pingplotter (or equivalent) to find out what's going on and work with either your ISP or ANet after finding the location of the problem.

The dev networking guru does systematic checks. He's said (in answer to similar questions on Reddit) that more players have reduced latency overall and the overall ping is less for the community as a whole. He also says that he can measure the increase for his own account(s), but he hasn't found that its mattered for gameplay.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Shazmataz.1423 said:My ping has jumped 100-150ms on these 10.xx.xx.xx servers. Not fun in wvw.

ANet is renting server space from Amazon WS. Those servers are located in Virginia, which is enough to account for a 10-30 ms increase, but not 100-150, compared to the original data center in Dallas. Use pingplotter (or equivalent) to find out what's going on and work with either your ISP or ANet after finding the location of the problem.

The dev networking guru does systematic checks. He's said (in answer to similar questions on Reddit) that more players have reduced latency overall and the overall ping is less for the community as a whole. He also says that he can measure the increase for his own account(s), but he hasn't found that its mattered for gameplay.

Gee, that's telling a lot about Anet's lack of care for servers that are optimized for gaming traffic.

How insane.

How very evil.

How selfish.

My ping was going there and higher - Anet has destroyed local US traffic and now it's going to make it impossible for OCX and later players who can'tcatch a break with less than a 1k ping.

Anet is shooting itself in the foot in more ways than one.

@starlinvf.1358 said:I'm sitting here wondering how many people know what a 10.x network is.

:DI actually find it interesting that people get local IP from /ip command ( i am assuming that this is what they are using). On EU you get public IP with the command.

@Cynz.9437 said:

@starlinvf.1358 said:I'm sitting here wondering how many people know what a 10.x network is.

:DI actually find it interesting that people get local IP from /ip command ( i am assuming that this is what they are using). On EU you get public IP with the command.

I made a thread about the 10.x.x.x ip's a few months back before pof dropped and was surprised too that it showed up as internal network ip's but found out it was aws servers or so (this was on EU).

@DemonSeed.3528 said:

@Cynz.9437 said:

I made a thread about the 10.x.x.x ip's a few months back before pof dropped and was surprised too that it showed up as internal network ip's but found out it was aws servers or so (this was on EU).

Odd, i still get public IP from /ip command.

If it was a constant 10-30s ping, that would have been annoying but bearable. The average for me is much closer to ~150ms increase (last night was even worse).

Anecdotal, the main issue for me is running into opponents that spike your lag factor immensely and are able to hit with melee attacks while you are far away from their position (on thief last night, I was hit continuously for ~4 seconds (blocking and dodging) after teleporting 1200 range away). I've never seen this behavior before in this game since the network change. This type of behavior is not alone as I've seen projectiles fly through objects when you are clearly LoS the opponent.

If you think 10.x.x.x is bad /ip, you should try the old 64.25.x.x ip range now, I jumped to over 1200-2000 from sub 70-200 last night. There is severe packet loss at the hop starting at AWS and ANet to boot.

Ping is one thing but it's not worth playing the game with the high level of packet loss right now during NA primetime. Completely frustrating to play.

EDIT: I did a pathping -w 500 -q 50 -4 auth1.101.arenanetworks.com last night during NA prime time and got 100% packet loss at one point. From then on, I was rerouted through 64.25.x.x and had huge latency swings. I'm 3-4 US States away from AWS servers which should improve my connection. Logged off.

There has been alot of screwy stuff going around since before PoF with many people complaining of lag and skill lag, disconnects and other weird things happening and it seems to be getting worse with every patch tbh.I also notice that all the wvw map ips in T1 this week are the old 64.xx servers and my ping has dropped 100ms or more, it's much more playable.As to the comment about what Anet thinks about OCX.....sadly I think it is exactly that "too bad" but they are still happy to take our $$ and screw us over. Rude really cos we are actually quite nice people ;)

@atheria.2837 said:

My ping was going there and higher - Anet has destroyed local US traffic and now it's going to make it impossible for OCX and later players who can'tcatch a break with less than a 1k ping.

Anet is shooting itself in the foot in more ways than one.

Agree, If they want to move their servers. Why not pick somewhere close to the west coast where OCX/Asia players can get a better ping?We have been playing with 250-300ms ping, and it has increased to 350ms now. It is very often that the latency pike to 1000ms+ in WvW.

Look at Blizzard, they have opened a WoW server in Australia after years players have been asking, but it is too late now.Anet has got the advantage that there is no other casual MMORPG competitor, while it is true and I will continue playing. But if there is a good new casual MMO that has better ping, I will mostly be jumping ship.

I like this game, but the ping is very important due to most of my gameplay is in WvW/PvP.

Archived