Mini Pet Battles

Bengrey.2790

If u out of the loop, it looks like Anet has a new staff member for community feedback. So I think we should revisit ideas of the past. One of which is Mini Pet Battles.I think it would be a good addition to the game. Anet did play with the idea:mini1+copy.jpg?format=1000w, but was scrapped, maybe cause deadline.So I was wondering, if a bit of effort, could Anet add to the existing formula, tweak it a bit and release it. Maybe the current event team or the festival team.What do u think?

I think if they did add mini pet battles they'd probably have to do it like ranger pets - group minis into 'families' and give all the ones within a family the same stats and skills. Firstly because there's over 500 mini pets in the game already and more are added with each update. Assigning them all individual stats and trying to balance them would be a huge amount of work. (It couldn't just be based on the real things because otherwise anyone with a mini Tequatl is basically guaranteed an instant win.)

But also because at the moment there is no consistency with mini pets. There is huge variation in how they're obtained, from being very common drops that are therefore extremely cheap to buy on the TP (Mini Professor Mew) to some of the hardest/most expensive/time consuming etc. items in the entire game like the Mini Lavish Gold Llama (win at least 1 automated tournament, grind hundreds of PvP league chests), Oxidecimus the Shadow Raven (120 candy corn cobs, only during Halloween), Mini Blademaster Diarmid (250 crystalline ore, only obtainable in Dragon's Stand), various raid minis etc. And then there's ones which aren't available at all any more. What if someone worked out that one of the best mini battle teams is Liadri the Concealing Dark, Mr. Sparkles and the Mini Risen Abomination? There's not even any consistency with the rarity - a masterwork mini can often be harder to get than an exotic one (in fact many of the cheapest ones on the TP are exotics).

If they were grouped then it would not only make it easier for Anet to build and balance the system but it'd be fairer for players too. You could still use really rare or hard to obtain minis if you wanted to, but you could also start out with some of the most easily obtainable ones and stand an equal chance of winning. (Which I think would be important since there's probably a lot of people interested in mini pet battles who currently have no interest in minis and so haven't been collecting them.)

@"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:Not interested.Already find costume battles pointless and this is just another step in that direction.As long as it's "for fun" and they don't like anything behind this mini battle stuff, then waste resources on it all they want.Just don't hide items and precursors and whatever behind them.

I think costume brawl is supposed to be pointless. It's something to do when you want to kill some time - hanging around in town or waiting for an event to start or whatever.

The same is true of the activities like Keg Brawl and Belcher's Bluff. Apart from a few achievements there's no need to do them except because you enjoy them. This could be the same.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:Not interested.Already find costume battles pointless and this is just another step in that direction.As long as it's "for fun" and they don't like anything behind this mini battle stuff, then waste resources on it all they want.Just don't hide items and precursors and whatever behind them.

I think costume brawl is supposed to be pointless. It's something to do when you want to kill some time - hanging around in town or waiting for an event to start or whatever.

The same is true of the activities like Keg Brawl and Belcher's Bluff. Apart from a few achievements there's no need to do them except because you enjoy them. This could be the same.

Which is the only way I'll support them somehow finally releasing it.Just make it a time waster and not actually hide anything behind it.

Maybe every so often the Ogre in me can go "Let my spider to and smash someone's mini insert human thing here that always looked wrong to me and then get bored and not do it for another year or so.... or if they made it into a daily or something.

Archived