Remember when people thought Firebrand was trash in PvP

jul.7602

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Jinks.2057 said:

@Vagrant.7206 said:Nobody ever thought it was trash. On the preview weekend, everybody noticed its burning was ludicrous.

Took a bit longer to recognize the healbot spammer potential, but nobody ever thought it was trash.

Guessing you didn't ready the Guardian forums huh?

Foooo, profession forums are always biased befoynd belief in Quaggans experiance.

@Ryan.9387 said:And still people have their heads in the dirt when it comes to good firebrand builds.

This coming from someone who I basically just 500-50'd like 15mins ago in an AT because he ran mender's firebrand with axe AND took 1v1s against necros on their nodes. Its on stream too btw. You my good sir have your head in the dirt when it comes not only to firebrand builds, but the firebrand role aswell.

@Vagrant.7206 said:

Took a bit longer to recognize the healbot spammer potential, but nobody ever thought it was trash.

It also required some cooldown and cast time reductions as well as fixing the scaling on F2 tome. The problem with support Firebrand during the preview weekend was the crap scaling and that it was too easy to lock them down and prevent casts.

@"Vagrant.7206" said:Nobody ever thought it was trash. On the preview weekend, everybody noticed its burning was ludicrous.

Wrong. Some people still think it's garbage and they want healing on staff 1 to "make firebrand less garbage".

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/6962/guardian-staff-needs-a-serious-rework-suggestions/p1

@Alehin.3746 said:

@"Vagrant.7206" said:Nobody ever thought it was trash. On the preview weekend, everybody noticed its burning was ludicrous.

Wrong. Some people still think it's garbage and they want healing on staff 1 to "make firebrand less garbage".

That's more of a staff revamp, which is kinda a good thing and less of a problem with FB and more of a problem with the weapon itself. Staff works with FB because FB offers on-demand stability for staff channels/casts. Staff doesn't work with core + DH because of that lacking. Also, the auto on staff is just baddd.

@Ludhriq.5490 said:

@"Ryan.9387" said:And still people have their heads in the dirt when it comes to good firebrand builds.

You might want to get your own head out first before making that statement.This is you on FB on your own stream getting 1v2'd by mirage (?!?!?! HOW)

has f2 tome off cooldown & elite mantra charged

gets low on hp in 1v2

tries to cast symbol of punishment, gets interrupted

tries to charge heal mantra

dies

LvSxuKQ.jpg

@Alehin.3746 said:

It's almost like these suggestion have pve in mind, you know the mode where support firebrand is a meme?

And it's about staff, a weapon that has no clear identity or use, not about firebrand specifically.

@RabbitUp.8294 said:

It's almost like these suggestion have pve in mind, you know the mode where support firebrand is a meme?

And it's about staff, a weapon that has no clear identity or use, not about firebrand specifically.

A meme because of lack of stuff like spirits + might generation, not healing. You asked for more healing on staff 1 instead of mantra QoL/buffs. That wouldn't make it less of a meme. kek

@Abelisk.4527 said:That's more of a staff revamp, which is kinda a good thing and less of a problem with FB and more of a problem with the weapon itself. Staff works with FB because FB offers on-demand stability for staff channels/casts. Staff doesn't work with core + DH because of that lacking. Also, the auto on staff is just baddd.

Yeah but the OP from that thread and @RabbitUp.8294 said healing firebrand was a bad support, and it NEEDED staff buffs to be a good healer (healing-wise) like druid or ele, which isn't true, because FB support is a very good off-meta healer. Firebrand support side is overpowered as fuck in PvP/WvW and need nerfs, theres no point in giving staff more healing just because "it isn't good enough for core guard", it will just make heal FB even stronger.

@Abelisk.4527 said:

That's more of a staff revamp, which is kinda a good thing and less of a problem with FB and more of a problem with the weapon itself. Staff works with FB because FB offers on-demand stability for staff channels/casts. Staff
doesn't
work with core + DH because of that lacking. Also, the auto on staff is just baddd.

This isn't the reason people want staff buffs. The reason is because for guards currently, staff is a garbage weapon that is underperforming in all 3 game modes.

On FB being garbage: it actually was garbage until the pre-PoF balance patch. During the demo weekend, I tried a build with 1400 healing power and was about as supportive as a full marauder's druid... the healing on f2 was abyssmal and was one of the things I as well as other guards pushed for the hardest when giving feedback.

Staff in pvp is used for all of 1 skill on its bar, the warding line, and the only reason that shit works is because of the quickness FB gives when exiting tomes and the stab spam which also lets you finish an empower channel every now and then.

replace staff on support FB with literally another mace/shield set and the performance wouldn't drop off by more than like 10% for the spec overall.

@"Arcaedus.7290" said:This isn't the reason people want staff buffs. The reason is because for guards currently, staff is a garbage weapon that is underperforming in all 3 game modes.

Underperforming in all 3 game modes you say?

That's funny, I look at Metabattle and the only meta PvP and WvW builds run staff, there must be some mistake? Because if I'm not mistaken, you have no idea what a garbage weapon is. (Necromancer Focus, Warrior offhand Mace, Engineer Shield)

That's like me saying they should buff the Engineer's Rifle Hip shot damage by 50% because the weapon is objectively and arbitrarily "bad", but highly represented in meta builds.

@Darknicrofia.2604 said:Staff in pvp is used for all of 1 skill on its bar, the warding line, and the only reason that kitten works is because of the quickness FB gives when exiting tomes and the stab spam which also lets you finish an empower channel every now and then.

replace staff on support FB with literally another mace/shield set and the performance wouldn't drop off by more than like 10% for the spec overall.

@Darknicrofia.2604 said:Staff is used in the only meta build because its literally one of only 3 support weapons a guardian has and the other 2 are already being used on the swap (mace/shield)

Staff would still be used in 100% of the meta builds for support if all it had was skill 4 and 5 with 1-3 disabled.

Agility Sigil on Staff makes Line of Warding or Empower often not reliant on exiting tomes. Altruistic Healing builds utilize the Symbol of Swiftness for self-healing, pre-buffing in PvP and group swiftness in WvW is useless too am I right? I'm not really empathizing with you if you don't want to double tap your Orb of Light even as a .5s cast filler attack when it gives a 2.5k heal and 4s Light Aura in 240 radius.

Poor, poor Staff Firebrands, comprising 20% of WvW and competitive PvP when there's 9 professions.

Poor, poor Staff Firebrands, forced to use these dumb filler abilities like Orb of Light and Symbol of Swiftness.

I hope it's sinking in how spoiled and petulant complaining about "underperforming" Staff (as Arcaedus.7290 puts it) makes you seem, seeing as any net positive power changes will just make the game even more unbalanced.

What is it you want from Staff, let's hear your suggestions?

@Chaith.8256 said:

@Darknicrofia.2604 said:Staff in pvp is used for all of 1 skill on its bar, the warding line, and the only reason that kitten works is because of the quickness FB gives when exiting tomes and the stab spam which also lets you finish an empower channel every now and then.

@Darknicrofia.2604 said:Staff is used in the
only meta build
because its literally one of only 3 support weapons a guardian has and the other 2 are already being used on the swap (mace/shield)

Staff would still be used in 100% of the meta builds for support if all it had was skill 4 and 5 with 1-3 disabled.

Agility Sigil on Staff makes Line of Warding or Empower often not reliant on exiting tomes. Altruistic Healing builds utilize the Symbol of Swiftness for self-healing, pre-buffing in PvP and group swiftness in WvW is useless too am I right? I'm not really empathizing with you if you don't want to double tap your Orb of Light even as a .5s cast filler attack when it gives a 2.5k heal and 4s Light Aura in 240 radius.

Poor, poor Staff Firebrands, comprising 20% of WvW and competitive PvP when there's 9 professions.

Poor, poor Staff Firebrands, forced to use these dumb filler abilities like Orb of Light and Symbol of Swiftness.

I hope it's sinking in how spoiled and petulant complaining about "underperforming" Staff (as Arcaedus.7290 puts it) makes you seem, seeing as any net positive power changes will just make the game even more unbalanced.

What is it you want from Staff, let's hear your suggestions?

I'm not even on the "make staff lootstick again" bandwagon, I think it serves its purpose just fine, but not to the extent of the "end all be all" pinnacle of support kit you're making it to be.

Make Empower not self root and front load the swiftness on the symbol is the only change I'd suggest.

Archived