Cannot manage conditions

MardyVain.4823

Hey guys, I started playing herald short time ago and honestly, I really enjoy the class mechanics.I do mainly WvWvW roaming, and as you can imagine I face a lot of scourge and condi dd and I figured out I cannot really manage the condition damage.I'm obiously inexperienced, so I just wanted to ask: what's the best way to deal with condi pressure?

Actually I'm using berserk trinkets and weapons, and got just 2 pieces of Marauder armor. Also, I don't have yet sll 6 rune of Durability, just 2.I'm using Glynth/Shiro, and as specializations Invocation-Devastation-Herald.

I know this may sounds like a stupid request, but if an experienced herald wants to give me some advices, u're all welcome!Thanks in advance :>

Dodge and kill them before they kill you. That is all you really can do as even if you spec for heavy removal with ventari and salvation it is still not a lot of cleanse and then you do no damage. Malyx resistance is sort of an option but does nothing against scourge, while Condi thief and mes have ways to strip the resistance as well.

For facing thief, you'll need to learn to play it. It's the only way you'll ever defeat them imo. The most important thing to dodge/block is steal, an instant cast ability on a 20-30 second cooldown. If you can avoid the first steal (which is often executed with a condi ability) You'll have greatly lowered their burst and can then stay ahead of their application until then next steal. My advice is to play the builds that give you trouble and see how people beat you down.

Scourge is actually really easy outside of pvp. You are best off bringing a hammer, but I've found with careful execution you can dodge/block all their aoes and slowly wear them down with the staff+sw/sw. Herald has amazing sustain, but is vulnerable to condi. IF you can avoid enough of it (which should be easy when there is nothing guiding you into them like pvp conquest), you should easily out sustain them. (unless a bunch of nubs are feading the necro life force) Some classes are easier to 1v1 than 2v2 or sometimes even 2v1. (spellbreaker)

Truth is, a single condi bomb will wreck you if you can't pop off your herald full-heal. Then you need to avoid another one for 30 seconds. It's so unpleasant that I've given up on Herald... But in wvw, it's much more manageable.

I've also made some builds that can 1v1 really well on Renegade surprisingly. But it can't get away (no shiro), so you're left hoping to not get outnumbered. With Jalis, and Kalla, you can out sustain even the most vile condi bombs in 1v1. Once you get into a rhythm of making their big burst into tiny misquito bites, you can counter pressure and eventually come out ahead. It was actually a great feeling after being destroyed by condis so much, but this build is more vulnerable to really good thieves (which are quite common in wvw), and the lack of mobility (outside swiftness) really renders the build less useful for roaming. But I never lost (without making some mistakes) a 1v1 in pvp with this build. (Renegade, Retribution, Invocation or Devastation). It's also a little weaker to big outnumbered scenarios. Not a great build overall, but if you want to stand in a scourges aoes and beat him down, it feels nice.

@ArthurDent.9538 said:Dodge and ~~kill them before they kill you. That is all you really can do ~~ as even if you spec for heavy removal with ventari and salvation it is still not a lot of cleanse and then you do no damage. Malyx resistance is sort of an option but does nothing against scourge, while Condi thief and mes have ways to strip the resistance as well.

FTFY. Applies to almost every fight thanks to power creep and balance devs encouraging twitchy gameplay.

@Justine.6351 said:Even on glass hammer it's a hard fight against condi facetank scourge. Idk why they cry about needing support. Well I know why, most scourge players are on npc level of play.

My tactic,Hit and run.Lame but effective. They deserve nothing better.

Hit and run works very well on necros throughout GW2 history because of the nature of shroud/barrier. Won't work very well vs a mirage or other condition build though.

if you are playing zerk power rev then you have to play like a thief, you have to surprise attack and kill them in 10 seconds, if you cant you have lost the fight as you can't stealth run away and the damage you receive is too high to tank.

the zerk power rev build is only good when you fight 2v1, so look for fights were you can+1 and bring the damage. once you start taking condi damage LEAVE, don't try to cleanse or tank it, it will never end. Leave, let them focus on some one else come back and cc/burst them.

coward play but the only effective way in this meta.

I soley play rev in wvw atm and yeah it's real tough but it's worth sticking with it because it has some plus sides.

My advice is stick to herald/shiro and take cleansing sigil/legend swap removal, make smart use of staff 4 and you can even try leadership runs or lyssa (cheaper).I personally prefer more dmg orientated runes.The main thing is go full yolo either zerk or marauders and kill before your killed. I'm probably the only person who likes OH sword because a good 5 into 4 can really win as an opener.Mallyx is trash imo it does nothing except delay the inevitable and if you get corrupted it's game over.

Positioning is key and you need to know your limits, you can beat condi but it is your hard counter atm so don't feel too bad.

Trait wise it's what I'm running but I'm thinking of trying retribution over devastation but it's still early days.

Be real careful about using sword 3 as you can get dragged into a real bad situation into shades/through portals etc.

Rev really shines for me when you have someone with you especially someone who can cleanse or can counter the cancer. Soulbeast vs Necro for e.g.

Keep up with the rev though it's great.

Thank you all for your time, thought I was missing something important but in the end seems that heavy condi build are just a slighty overperforming (hanged around as a scourge during the last few days, indeed is quite easy to pull some big numbers).Guess I just have to practice alot more then :)Take care guys!

Archived