Recent news and guild slots

Swagger.1459

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:I am pretty sure they would love to sell them to you, but as always with gw2, technical limitations (aka bad design of guild system blocking further developement) are the reason they can't.

First time I hear this argument. Do you have anything to back it with (like a quote, or an explaination why it is technical limited)? Would be awesome to understand this!

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:I am pretty sure they would love to sell them to you, but as always with gw2, technical limitations (aka bad design of guild system blocking further developement) are the reason they can't.

First time I hear this argument. Do you have anything to back it with (like a quote, or an explaination why it is technical limited)? Would be awesome to understand this!From what i understand, their whole user database is in a blob form. Each character data in it has a set size, and changing that size requires rebuilding the whole database (not a trivial matter, especially on a running system). There
are
"free spaces" that were reserved in that data for possible future use, but it doesn't mean those spaces can be used for everything. For example, there are still some free slost for possible addictions to the bank crafting materials tab (but not too much, so they aren't so eager to expand in what goes in there), but it doesn't mean there are any free slots available in the part of the data where the guild membership is contained. And so it happens, it seems there actually
isn't
any free space there.Now, all of the above is just a bunch of guesses, as we know practically nothing really solid about GW2 code, database desing etc, but those are guesses based on a multitude of different dev statements from the past, so they should be at least partially accurate.

So, from what we know, while it might be possible to add a new guild slot, it may require a lot of work - more that they'd be willing to assign to that project.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

First time I hear this argument. Do you have anything to back it with (like a quote, or an explaination why it is technical limited)? Would be awesome to understand this!From what i understand, their whole user database is in a blob form. Each character data in it has a set size, and changing that size requires rebuilding the whole database (not a trivial matter, especially on a running system). There
are
"free spaces" that were reserved in that data for possible future use, but it doesn't mean those spaces can be used for everything. For example, there are still some free slost for possible addictions to the bank crafting materials tab (but not too much, so they aren't so eager to expand in what goes in there), but it doesn't mean there are any free slots available in the part of the data where the guild membership is contained. And so it happens, it seems there actually
isn't
any free space there.Now, all of the above is just a bunch of guesses, as we know practically nothing really solid about GW2 code, database desing etc, but those are guesses based on a multitude of different dev statements from the past, so they should be at least partially accurate.

So, from what we know, while it might be possible to add a new guild slot, it may require a lot of work - more that they'd be willing to assign to that project.

Thanks for your constructive explaination. Never heard a bout it, but as I work in real life with a blob form, it does make sense for performance and data integrity. Never seen a blob for such a complex blob (well complex in usage, the blob at my work is much more complex, but in usage it is not as it requires just base HTTP methods to work). I'm not sure if I would have made the same choice for the GW2 user database, but I understand the arguments for this choice.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@Lexi.1398 said:For sure, i wanna guild with a bunch of my wvw server but i have 5/5 slots, oops.

Make an alliance.

It won't be possible for everyone with a small guild to find a suitable alliance. There will be limits to the number of players in the alliance, limits to the number of guilds in the alliance. Savvy alliance leaders are going to use those slots carefully.

In the coming weeks, we'll see some new types of guild emerge. The two most obvious types already exist (and might become more popular): GvG and hardcore WvW.

Some new types I expect to see: Scouts, Roamers, and Loose Militia. We've all seen how important small groups can be to turning the tide of battle, so clever Alliance leaders are going to look for a way to include those people on their team, on whatever maps they end up on. One way to do that will be for those that march to the beat of a less-zergful drummer to group up and move together. (I don't know whether this will work out in practice; too few details are available to evaluate it.)

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Lexi.1398 said:For sure, i wanna guild with a bunch of my wvw server but i have 5/5 slots, oops.

Make an alliance.

It won't be possible for everyone with a small guild to find a suitable alliance. There will be limits to the number of players in the alliance, limits to the number of guilds in the alliance. Savvy alliance leaders are going to use those slots carefully.

In the coming weeks, we'll see some new types of guild emerge. The two most obvious types already exist (and might become more popular): GvG and hardcore WvW.

Some new types I expect to see: Scouts, Roamers, and Loose Militia. We've all seen how important small groups can be to turning the tide of battle, so clever Alliance leaders are going to look for a way to include those people on their team, on whatever maps they end up on. One way to do that will be for those that march to the beat of a less-zergful drummer to group up and move together. (I don't know whether this will work out in practice; too few details are available to evaluate it.)

Well, if you play with them a lot of the time it won't be hard to convince them to take you up. And the number of player slots are decided by how many are active on WvW. So 1000 members might allow for you to have in actuality 100 000 in those guilds.

There is a big potential for bandwagoning during a specific season though, but that will be sorted out in the next one. And that's the important part. Because it reshuffles regularly, the imbalances are addressed always on the next season.

Archived