How Will World Restructuring Affect Things Not WvW?

Ashabhi.1365

Ok, so, it looks like there are big changes coming for WvW. (Thread here.)

Short version is that the World Selection option at Character Select will go away, and we will be assigned new "worlds" every eight weeks, if I am reading it correctly. Not sure about the timeline. I have a few concerns and questions about this restructuring as it pertains to PvE, so I made this thread instead of adding to an already inflated thread that mostly concerns WvW.First, the questions:

1. Will this change affect PvE at all, or is it solely a new mechanic to redistribute players in WvW? If so, why remove the world choice at character selection?
  2. Will it destroy the world we play on now? If so, how are you going to keep primarily PvE guilds together on the same world?
  3. Will there be a manual way to change worlds (such as guesting) that will allow us to play on another world with friends, even if we go to WvW?

The concerns:If you do away with existing worlds altogether, and randomly redistribute players across worlds, I am afraid that some guilds who are large, but are primarily PvE will be split among worlds with no way to "get together" for activities. Right now, we can guest on other worlds, and see friends who have gone on to other things, but how are we suppose to do that if we can't "choose a world?" While the changes are great for WvW and I can see how having players more evenly distributed would be a good thing, I just don't see how it will help the sense of community that is needed in an MMO to keep people from what amounts to playing a solo game with random people in the map. On the other hand, the way it worked in GW1 was brilliant. If I wanted to play with a friend, all I had to do was "warp" to whatever instance of the world he or she was on. If it will work that way, then there shouldn't be that much of an issue.

All of this may have been addressed somewhere, but truthfully, I didn't see it. Please clarify for us?

It wouldn't because we already have the mega server system in PvE. Everyone you see running around with you in any zone now are people from many different servers. If you are in a guild now, they aren't all people from the same server, most likely. I suppose some really old guilds that have continued to play after mega server and never left and never accepted new people might be entirely from the same server, but I bet that would be rare.

Do people still use that guest feature? I remember it, but I can't think of a reason why you would use it now?

Worlds haven't been relevant to PvE for the last few years, ever since they introduced the meta-server system. All EU worlds share PvE (and structured PvP) maps and all NA ones share them - that's the only split. Which world you're on is one of the factors that determines which copy of the map you're in (if there's more than 1 with space) but it's not even the first one on the list. If I remember correctly it's - people in your party/squad, then people in your guilds, people on your friends list, then your server, then (EU only) other servers with the same language tag.

That's why they're removing it from the Character Selection screen - because it won't mean anything until you start playing WvW. It already confuses people who are new to the game and think they have to be on the same world as their friends to play together in PvE. This way no one has to worry about which world they're on unless it's actually relevant.

Which means that it won't affect PvE guilds, or PvE 'worlds'. The people you see regularly in the game are already from all different servers and your guild members may all be on different servers. If I've understood correctly it will actually make it easier for guilds because they'll be able to play WvW together without paying a transfer fee. (One of my guilds is mainly PvE but some people do play WvW, all on different servers, and it's always a bit awkward when you realise you've just killed a guild mate.)

@notebene.3190 said:It wouldn't because we already have the mega server system in PvE. Everyone you see running around with you in any zone now are people from many different servers. If you are in a guild now, they aren't all people from the same server, most likely. I suppose some really old guilds that have continued to play after mega server and never left and never accepted new people might be entirely from the same server, but I bet that would be rare.

Do people still use that guest feature? I remember it, but I can't think of a reason why you would use it now?

Only occasionally for the purpose of trying to hop to a different instance before I realized there was a slightly more important thing than guesting.

Archived