How to make staff ele invulnerable or hard to kill for several seconds but be able to use skills?

Annihilator.2617

@Annihilator.2617 said:Is there a way to make staff ele invulnerable or very hard to kill for several seconds but be able to use skills? It also should be usable in WvW.

Sadly, no. The elementalists' staff is a supportive weapon from top to bottom. There is nothing you can do to make a staff elementalist invulnerable or hard to kill. Another thing that kills the staff in PvP are the slow casting skills. If you've ever played core elementalist, tempest or weaver, you would notice just how slow and sluggish it feels to use the staff.

For invulnerability you use focus for Obsidian Flesh, for sustain you use scepter for Water Trident. In PvP, the staff is lackluster when it comes to 1v1. It's great for supporting allies, but once you get in a 1v1 situation, you're done for. For WvW, I guess you could try and use it, but I wouldn't use the staff anywhere other than PvE where it is useful for keeping your allies alive.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

@Annihilator.2617 said:Is there a way to make staff ele invulnerable or very hard to kill for several seconds but be able to use skills? It also should be usable in WvW.

Sadly, no. The elementalists' staff is a supportive weapon from top to bottom. There is nothing you can do to make a staff elementalist invulnerable or hard to kill. Another thing that kills the staff in PvP are the slow casting skills. If you've ever played core elementalist, tempest or weaver, you would notice just how slow and sluggish it feels to use the staff.

For invulnerability you use focus for Obsidian Flesh, for sustain you use scepter for Water Trident. In PvP, the staff is lackluster when it comes to 1v1. It's great for supporting allies, but once you get in a 1v1 situation, you're done for. For WvW, I guess you could try and use it, but I wouldn't use the staff anywhere other than PvE where it is useful for keeping your allies alive.

Supportive from top to bottom? Staff on weaver is the most damaging weapon in both pve and wvw.

Sustain with scepter? What game you playing?

@steki.1478 said:

Supportive from top to bottom? Staff on weaver is the most damaging weapon in both pve and wvw.

Sustain from Shatterstone, duh.

@steki.1478 said:

I'm talking from a core elementalists' perspective. I'm not a Weaver, so I don't know if it's the most damaging weapon, but I've seen videos of Weavers using it.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

I'm talking from a core elementalists' perspective. I'm not a Weaver, so I don't know if it's the most damaging weapon, but I've seen videos of Weavers using it.

Staff is the highest damage weapon regardless of the spec. Provided you build for pure damage. Core, Tempest, Weaver, the choice is always staff. Of course, pure damage specs don't work that well in pvp. But this is why you can't go invuln on it.

What you can do is (if you're earth/fire attuned) while beginning your meteor shower, change attunement to double earth so you have access to magnetic aura and use that. It won't interrupt your meteor shower cast. It's no invulnerability but it does protect against projectiles. The double attunement also gives bonus damage to MS if traited for it.

Well with staff it's hard to achieve but there are some options varied in effectiveness and very situation dependant:-arance shield+arcane shield trait-magnetic aura will give you projectile immunity...-standing in glyph of storms earth should give you some melee immunity

If you looking for something similar to endure pain...then answer is no.

@kybraga.7103 said:

@"Dahir.4158" said:We need staff buffs, Arena-Net. Listen to us for once.

Weaver is the solution. We're one of top DPS specs because of it, PvEly.

I use Weaver all the time, but when using staff as a whole, a gust of wind can easily take you out. It lacks something that'll keep you alive. You have Burning Retreat, okay. Mist Form and Twist of Fate... then what?

@"Dahir.4158" said:

@"Dahir.4158" said:We need staff buffs, Arena-Net. Listen to us for once.

Weaver is the solution. We're one of top DPS specs because of it, PvEly.

I use Weaver all the time, but when using staff as a whole, a gust of wind can easily take you out. It lacks something that'll keep you alive. You have Burning Retreat, okay. Mist Form and Twist of Fate... then what?

You walk into squad to get some heals and go back to what you were doing.

Hi, Annihilator.2617You just can´t. What i can think of is....only by using a mount and land over the enemies with the mount giving us a couple seconds to proceed fighting and if we are doing this with a team of players at the same time it gives a lot of damage over the enemies (group mount damage bonus).

! I'm an ele staff fire arcane weaver for a significant time. I've tried with all weapons and all sorts of armor but only one result gave me the satisfaction of having a power damage ele to kick ass. I haven´t got any ascendant armor now and i don´t use potions by the tons like the most players do (i´m in a short budget yet). We can Pve / WvW 30+ (your survive is about self positioning in a good way, but were really squishy). The Biggest DPS of the game, only power. The Biggest AOE / Multi target of the game. Small heal / Low survability. Selfish, don´t heal / boon allies (the only support we can bring to allies is Water field + some condi clean). Not efficient solo, need a group to heal / protect / buff you. Its a DPS role (insane amount and covering a very large static zone from a 1200 range). I can tell its a very fun build to play solo or in a team...i use power / precision / ferocity armor with superior rune of divinity (+18 to all stats); marauder ascendant staff with superior sigil of the stars; superior sigil of accuracy and 2x 4+ precision precise infusion. Marauder ascendant trinkets each with mighty infusion +4 power. The attributes are very good and even with 14.505 health bar, the power (2750 with recharge rate of 95%) with 236% critical damage and critical hit chance settled around 67.95% are insane to land, burst and smoke enemies to the mists. In dungeons i rarely help guys with arcane resurrection buff because changing from arcane 3-3-2 to 3-1-2 (only to grant 10% revival speed and 7% increase of revival) reduces my survivability (from blocking 3 attacks) a great deal which i compensate a lot by using only the water attunement to the guys and myself when necessary. I do really attack a lot which for most of the guys its a surprise because they think ele its only good for a passive supporting role...and so squishy that can die with one single hit...yes but when you play it with the perfect rotation and positioning its not true. I like to use arcane brilliance, arcane wave, arcane blast, signet of fire and conjure fiery greatsword. Fire 2-1-1, arcane 3-3-2, Weaver 1-2-1

vaxjani.9073 is perfect correct with the focus 5 solution for 4s invulnerability but with staff main weapon we cant do nothing about invulnerability. We can only change weapons by disengage from the battle moving more then 1200 and return back the same distance resulting in traveling 2400...or teleport (dying on purpose or not) to a given WP...time consuming....4s gives time for the siege gets back to its full force. Ele its bad for siege but has got alternative rotations for efficiency...casting meteor and then casting arcane brilliance combo with arcane blast, arcane wave and blast again, earning time for the cd of meteor to end, using more other alternatives in between earth / fire...activating the signet of fire, casting the meteor and immediately pull out the conjure fiery greatsword could give a better result. Landing over the siege with a mount to start would give that necessary invulnerability just from the mount bonus attack itself - i am not sure each mount provides it better, if not the rabbit may be the wolf...

! I've noted that the ele build attributes towards the power recharge rate goes from 80% up to 95% - a 15% difference that changes a lot the way ele delivers. The only way to get those 95% power recharge rate is by using fire / arcane / weaver. Using weaver with any other sorted options sets the mentioned power ele attributes straight back to 80%.

@Louro.2810 said:vaxjani.9073 is perfect correct with the focus 5 solution for 4s invulnerability but with staff main weapon we cant do nothing about invulnerability. We can only change weapons by disengage from the battle moving more then 1200 and return back the same distance resulting in traveling 2400...or teleport (dying on purpose or not) to a given WP...time consuming....4s gives time for the siege gets back to its full force. Ele its bad for siege but has got alternative rotations for efficiency...casting meteor and then casting arcane brilliance combo with arcane blast, arcane wave and blast again, earning time for the cd of meteor to end, using more other alternatives in between earth / fire...activating the signet of fire, casting the meteor and immediately pull out the conjure fiery greatsword could give a better result. Landing over the siege with a mount to start would give that necessary invulnerability just from the mount bonus attack itself - i am not sure each mount provides it better, if not the rabbit may be the wolf...

! I've noted that the ele build
attributes towards the power recharge rate goes from 80% up to 95%
- a 15% difference that changes a lot the way ele delivers. The only way to get those 95% power recharge rate is by using fire / arcane / weaver. Using weaver with any other sorted options sets the mentioned power ele attributes straight back to 80%.

What a complete bunch of nonsense, every bit of it.

Ele is amazing at clearing siege, arcane skills have nothing to do with meteor shower, activating signet is never good unless you're playing condi (which staff isnt built for). There's no mounts in wvw.

That recharge rate has nothing to do with power, it's just recharge of your attunements which changes because of weaver and arcane minor traits...

Please don't give advices if you're new to the class unless you're completely sure what you are saying.

Archived