ANets teams

Alga.6498

How many teams are there exactly? What I mean by teams is for an example… cinematics team, raid development team.. etc.Just curious and fun to know. :)

I know that they have disbanded two teams already, the Dungeon and Guild teams, right?If someone can confirm how many people are in one single team, that would be cool to know too, :tongue:

@"Alga.6498" said:How many teams are there exactly? What I mean by teams is for an example… cinematics team, raid development team.. etc.Just curious and fun to know. :)

I know that they have disbanded two teams already, the Dungeon and Guild teams, right?

Kinda? One thing to understand is that in software development generally, you have teams like that which are just temporary. I've worked on a number of different teams that were ultimately "disbanded" over the years, because we achieved the set goal, and then everyone went their separate ways to do whatever other thing at the company.

It is probably (though not assured) that ANet have done similar things here. People moved on from the "dungeon" team, but work on other things.

If someone can confirm how many people are in one single team, that would be cool to know too, :tongue:

You can get some ideas from these:

@"Hybarf Tics.2048" said:You're asking the wrong company they can't even talk about armors openly.

Oddly, you will probably find this is easier to get them to talk about, because number of staff doesn't contain data that might be misinterpreted by players -- the core reason why ANet don't talk about things in development any more. They did, in prehistory, and people got very upset when "might" became "will" in the public mind, and then it turned out it wasn't after all.

Answers likely vary since a lot of what they do seems to be quite fluid (to be expected with so many cogs and projects varying in size and importance as they develop). I imagine there are teams for everything which either interlink or fall under larger teams like Living Story, expansion etc (eg the CAT team I think works on festivals and current events, but prob works on other things too).

Could be a question for the next appropriate Forum Chat at the end of a given month. Or maybe in Gaile's post to notify us about the forum chat.

@Randulf.7614 said:Answers likely vary since a lot of what they do seems to be quite fluid (to be expected with so many cogs and projects varying in size and importance as they develop). I imagine there are teams for everything which either interlink or fall under larger teams like Living Story, expansion etc (eg the CAT team I think works on festivals and current events, but prob works on other things too).

Could be a question for the next appropriate Forum Chat at the end of a given month. Or maybe in Gaile's post to notify us about the forum chat.

Yeah I did asked ANet forum chat/Gaile how many active GW1 employees and GW2 employees in total, she did not know but was going to look it up, I think, but still haven't replied… nothing serious, just fun to know, especially how many GW1 employees are still working under ANet.

@Alga.6498 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:Answers likely vary since a lot of what they do seems to be quite fluid (to be expected with so many cogs and projects varying in size and importance as they develop). I imagine there are teams for everything which either interlink or fall under larger teams like Living Story, expansion etc (eg the CAT team I think works on festivals and current events, but prob works on other things too).

Yeah I did asked ANet forum chat/Gaile how many active GW1 employees and GW2 employees in total, she did not know but was going to look it up, I think, but still haven't replied… nothing serious, just fun to know, especially how many GW1 employees are still working under ANet.

I doubt there are any employees actually full-time dedicated to gw1.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

I doubt there are
any
employees actually full-time dedicated to gw1.

Me neither, but what I meant was how many actual GW1 employees are still working in GW2.

Question is are you just talking about on the development side or over all, because we know there are 3 Living World teams that work concurrently on episodes in sequence, but you also have to keep in mind that from various Guild Chats all teams help out other teams depending on the needs at the moment.

@Alga.6498 said:

I doubt there are
any

Me neither, but what I meant was how many actual GW1 employees are still working in GW2.

You can look at the GW1 wiki's list of ANet employees and compare with GW2's. Clearly, not every employee is known to the community in the first place, but we can get idea of people who were. We know that some people, like Gaile Gray and Linsey Murdock are there, as well as some of the network peeps. Mike O'Brien remains, as another high profile example.

@Alga.6498 said:

@Alga.6498 said:Yeah I did asked ANet forum chat/Gaile how many active GW1 employees and GW2 employees in total, she did not know but was going to look it up, I think, but still haven't replied… nothing serious, just fun to know, especially how many GW1 employees are still working under ANet.

I doubt there are
any

Ah, right! That would be fun to know!

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@Alga.6498 said:Yeah I did asked ANet forum chat/Gaile how many active GW1 employees and GW2 employees in total, she did not know but was going to look it up, I think, but still haven't replied… nothing serious, just fun to know, especially how many GW1 employees are still working under ANet.

I doubt there are
any

Ah, right! That
would
be fun to know!

For anyone else as confused as I was, I'm pretty sure @Alga.6498 means "how many people who were employees while GW1 was the product, remain now when GW2 is the product".

As other people have said the number of teams and the number of people in each team probably changes regularly depending on what they need doing. I know that's how it works for other software developers, but each company tends to have their own way of doing things.

It might also depend on how you define teams. Some things might have a team working on them, in the sense that there's more than 1 person doing it, but it might not have a name or any kind of official designation. Some teams might be made up of many smaller teams each working on different parts of a big project (a festival for example will probably have different teams doing events, creating new enemies, making items, planning gem store stuff etc.) - do you count that as 1 team or several?

It's also probably something no one at Anet knows exactly. It's the same with my work. I could tell you how many departments there are at head office and how many regional offices there are and I could find out how many people work in each. But trying to track down every project team, planning committee, advisory group etc. and count them all? I wouldn't know where to start and by the time I got an answer it would probably have changed.

Archived