Combo fields effects.

Jski.6180

@Khisanth.2948 said:Combos sounded good on paper but in practice they are not very reliable.

Maybe always having it prioritize your own field over other people's field would help but I definitely haven't thought of the drawbacks to doing that.

From what i can tell combos start out strong in games like gw2 (ff11 as well) but over time as other skills get added in that cover the combo effect it seems that the combos them self start to become pointless. I loved the old skill chains / magic burst from ff11 (its the reason why i started playing gw2 the combos) but over time skill started to hit hard enofe on there own to make that tick pointless and there by ppl forget they are even in the game. I see the same thing happening in this game. I love the team work of combos and the ability to make an hit stronger then the sum of 2 skills to crate that combo.

@Jski.6180 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:Combos sounded good on paper but in practice they are not very reliable.

Maybe always having it prioritize your own field over other people's field would help but I definitely haven't thought of the drawbacks to doing that.

From what i can tell combos start out strong in games like gw2 (ff11 as well) but over time as other skills get added in that cover the combo effect it seems that the combos them self start to become pointless. I loved the old skill chains / magic burst from ff11 (its the reason why i started playing gw2 the combos) but over time skill started to hit hard enofe on there own to make that tick pointless and there by ppl forget they are even in the game. I see the same thing happening in this game. I love the team work of combos and the ability to make an hit stronger then the sum of 2 skills to crate that combo.

Problem is that at the moment it is less teamwork and more let see who will stomp on who's toes.

Combo fields actually work better in solo than in team play. If I want to use blasting light fields as the only condi cleanse I carry that is a viable option for solo content but not in group because your allies' fields are going to be interfering all the time.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

Problem is that at the moment it is less teamwork and more let see who will stomp on who's toes.

Combo fields actually work better in solo than in team play. If I want to use blasting light fields as the only condi cleanse I carry that is a viable option for solo content but not in group because your allies' fields are going to be interfering all the time.

So it takes more condensation that is more team work. It may not be better but it lets you have more effects the more ppl you have. If your doing it by your self your going to be more limented on the effect.

As for how to update them i would like to see more effects from them maybe not stronger version of what they have now but on the lines of what we see from some classes such as fury from blasting fire but more then just fire. I would love to see ele get a lot more effects from blasting , leap etc.. then just fire.

The majority of players will not use them, many do not understand them and I think you will never be able to interest the majority to get into the more complex combat mechanics, I mean, even CC checks are a fail half of the time. Also, as most content includes so many players you can barely see even the boss model, a coordinated effort on combo fields is mostly impossible. Place fire field in burn phases, possibly place lightning fields against blue bar or light field when you see the poison clouds flying. I don´t think it does get any better than that outside of instanced small group content.

@Jski.6180 said:

So it takes more condensation that is more team work. It may not be better but it lets you have more effects the more ppl you have. If your doing it by your self your going to be more limented on the effect.

As for how to update them i would like to see more effects from them maybe not stronger version of what they have now but on the lines of what we see from some classes such as fury from blasting fire but more then just fire. I would love to see ele get a lot more effects from blasting , leap etc.. then just fire.

"More coordination" comes down to "alright all of you stop using your skills except autoattack for a while so we can clear the off all the combo fields so I can put down mine"

Doesn't matter what you add to it. When you try to blast your fire field and end up with AoE weakness because someone dropped choking gas for the CC then combo system is useless.

Edit: Oh right I guess there is an option that would work for both. Have finishers combo with multiple fields. That would automatically strengthen them by stacking effects.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

"More coordination" comes down to "alright all of you stop using your skills except autoattack for a while so we can clear the off all the combo fields so I can put down mine"

Doesn't matter what you add to it. When you try to blast your fire field and end up with AoE weakness because someone dropped choking gas for the CC then combo system is useless.

Edit: Oh right I guess there is an option that would work for both. Have finishers combo with multiple fields. That would automatically strengthen them by stacking effects.

Skill base game play should requires some level of skill and combo field placement and timing is part of that.

@Imperadordf.2687 said:

@Airdive.2613 said:Leaps are good. But projectile and whirl finishers are meh at best.

Projectile finishers are OK in my opinion because many can be spammed (thief unload, stealth pistol attack), shot in quick succession (ranger shortbow 3, 4, 5), bounce (mesmer mirror blade, thief dancing dagger), or randomly proc in a bulk (ranger rapid fire, path of scars). Whirl finishers are indeed meh: most of them shoot what seems to be 3 bolts in random directions with modest chances to even hit any target (thief elite skill really shines as a whirl finisher, though).

And if they want to make combos good, they must remove Auras from combos or buff Auras. They are literally crap.

This is exactly what I meant when I said to buff leap finishers.Those auras (and the poison trail) don't last nearly enough to make them valuable, and unlike projectile finishers, leaps are few and far between. It's highly impractical to try to chain leap finishers to prolong auras.

@Airdive.2613 said:

@Airdive.2613 said:Leaps are good. But projectile and whirl finishers are meh at best.

Projectile finishers are OK in my opinion because many can be spammed (thief unload, stealth pistol attack), shot in quick succession (ranger shortbow 3, 4, 5), bounce (mesmer mirror blade, thief dancing dagger), or randomly proc in a bulk (ranger rapid fire, path of scars). Whirl finishers are indeed meh: most of them shoot what seems to be 3 bolts in random directions with modest chances to even hit any target (thief elite skill really shines as a whirl finisher, though).

And if they want to make combos good, they must remove Auras from combos or buff Auras. They are literally crap.

This is exactly what I meant when I said to buff leap finishers.Those auras (and the poison trail) don't last nearly enough to make them valuable, and unlike projectile finishers, leaps are few and far between. It's highly impractical to try to chain leap finishers to prolong auras.

So projectiles are ok for dmg but are bad for support as they need to pass though a player to land the support hit. But not every class in the game has fast attking projectiles. Slower projectiles need to have aoe vs fast one not.

Whirl is too rng it needs to be a set strong the whirl more shots vs smaller whirl less shots.

Leaps do not chain all that well as auras do not stack any more making them kind of pointless for chill light and fire.

Blast have fallen behind big time for effects 3 might is nothing in this game now swiftness is worthless of a boon for the most part and the heal from water blast just dose not hit well enofe.

@Jski.6180 said:So projectiles are ok for dmg but are bad for support as they need to pass though a player to land the support hit. But not every class in the game has fast attking projectiles. Slower projectiles need to have aoe vs fast one not.

Oh, I didn't think of projectile finishers as of support skills. Personally, I'm quite satisfied with them working for their user (cleanse conditions on self, apply regeneration to self), but I guess you're right.

Whirl is too rng it needs to be a set strong the whirl more shots vs smaller whirl less shots.

Every whirl finisher is already unique in the number and the frequency of combo bolts.It is certainly too random. Would be interesting to see every skill shoot bolts in a hard skill-specific pattern (not random) or simply every bolt's hitbox increased.

Leaps do not chain all that well as auras do not stack any more making them kind of pointless for chill light and fire.

Furthermore, a lot of leap finishers are skills designed for you to not get hit (either help you run away or evade attacks) which sort of defeats the purpose of already short-lived auras.

Blast have fallen behind big time for effects 3 might is nothing in this game now swiftness is worthless of a boon for the most part and the heal from water blast just dose not hit well enofe.

In my opinion, blast finishers in general are perfectly fine. Even AoE swiftness can be of great utility at the start of every sPvP game. And even 3 might on fire fields allow me to stack additional 6 might (blast my own fire field twice) on both me and my pet when I'm playing solo druid.

Archived