Does anyone think engineer should get a one-handed core power weapon?

Arimas.3492

I'll preface this by saying yes I'm an Engineer main, its the only class I can play all the time and not get bored and honestly the only class that keeps me playing GW2 at all, so I'm a bit bias in agreeing with my own post, but anyway what do you guys think? Engineer only has pistol to compliment shield currently as a core engineer and pistol is a condition damage weapon. I don't browse the other profession's forums much but here on the engineer forum there's a lot of talk about reworks mostly on Scrapper but also core engi, would adding a new weapon to go with shield for power build users be too much?

Engineer only has pistol to compliment shield currently as a core engineer and pistol is a condition damage weapon.

shield is a defensive CC weapon not a power dps weapon, so i don't see what the issue is.

i think they should fix the issues with what engi already has before adding more stuff

Scrapper uses hammer and Holosmith uses the rifle, both weapons that benefit mostly from power damage. This leaves core engineer with the pistols, a weapon set that has been butchered to death thanks to the power creep and currently is about as useful as Spirit weapons.

Core engineer benefits the most from hybrid/condition damage compared to the elite counterparts. Having a one handed power weapon would very likely come with elite specializations like a mace. For core weapons, it comes down to either buffing the pistols which I highly doubt will ever happen or buffing the kits to allow core engineer to apply conditions more frequently. I'd much rather see the kits buffed than the pistols because core engineer relies on them a lot.

@Hoodie.1045 said:Scrapper uses hammer and Holosmith uses the rifle, both weapons that benefit mostly from power damage. This leaves core engineer with the pistols, a weapon set that has been butchered to death thanks to the power creep and currently is about as useful as Spirit weapons.

Core engineer benefits the most from hybrid/condition damage compared to the elite counterparts. Having a one handed power weapon would very likely come with elite specializations like a mace. For core weapons, it comes down to either buffing the pistols which I highly doubt will ever happen or buffing the kits to allow core engineer to apply conditions more frequently. I'd much rather see the kits buffed than the pistols because core engineer relies on them a lot.

Yeah I think it's near impossible we'd actually get a new weapon for any core class since they went the elite spec route. Would be cool though if they could make mainhand pistol a good power option comparable to sword on Holosmith. They could make a trait that changes the skills on pistol to have different effects for a more power oriented playstyle though similar so how they made the Necromancer scepter skill work differently.

@derd.6413 said:

Engineer only has pistol to compliment shield currently as a core engineer and pistol is a condition damage weapon.

shield is a defensive CC weapon not a power dps weapon, so i don't see what the issue is.

i think they should fix the issues with what engi already has before adding more stuff

Well the issue I was getting at is if you want to use the shield as core engineer you are forced to use pistol which is not meant for power. At that point you're whole weapon set becomes utility and you rely on kits to have any type of power build with those weapons.

So if there was to be a mainhand power weapon be it a new one like mace or if they made a second skill set for pistol then you could have a build using shield and not have to rely on utilities to make up for the lack of weapon power.

@Arimas.3492 said:

@Hoodie.1045 said:Scrapper uses hammer and Holosmith uses the rifle, both weapons that benefit mostly from power damage. This leaves core engineer with the pistols, a weapon set that has been butchered to death thanks to the power creep and currently is about as useful as Spirit weapons.

Would be cool though if they could make mainhand pistol a good power option comparable to sword on Holosmith. They could make a trait that changes the skills on pistol to have different effects for a more power oriented playstyle though similar so how they made the Necromancer scepter skill work differently.

Or they could change certain traits in core specializations like Iron Blooded to benefit kits and that's what I think would make core engineer better. Make more traits to benefit kits and make Holosmith the specialization with the least amount of build options.

Also, I'll never get the sword weapon on Holosmith. It just doesn't fit the profession theme wise.

@Arimas.3492 said:

@"derd.6413" said:

Well the issue I was getting at is if you want to use the shield as core engineer you are forced to use pistol which is not meant for power. At that point you're whole weapon set becomes utility and you rely on kits to have any type of power build with those weapons.

So if there was to be a mainhand power weapon be it a new one like mace or if they made a second skill set for pistol then you could have a build using shield and not have to rely on utilities to make up for the lack of weapon power.

i Always saw kits as engi's "twist" on weapons, all i really want to see (for power engi) are better power kit(s). (talking about better design, not better dps)

also:

@Arimas.3492 said:

Yeah I think it's near impossible we'd actually get a new weapon for any core class since they went the elite spec route. Would be cool though if they could make mainhand pistol a good power option comparable to sword on Holosmith. They could make a trait that changes the skills on pistol to have different effects for a more power oriented playstyle though similar so how they made the Necromancer scepter skill work differently.

wouldn't 2 weapons with the same function on the same class just be redundant (even if seperated by an elite spec)note that both scepter 3 on necro do the same thing (mainly boon corrupy) one is just single target while the other is on target aoe (all damage on the skill is also higher) it didn't change function, just effectiveness.

@derd.6413 said:

i Always saw kits as engi's "twist" on weapons, all i really want to see (for power engi) are better power kit(s). (talking about better design, not better dps)

also:

wouldn't 2 weapons with the same function on the same class just be redundant (even if seperated by an elite spec)note that both scepter 3 on necro do the same thing (mainly boon corrupy) one is just single target while the other is on target aoe (
all
damage on the skill is also higher) it didn't change function, just effectiveness.

Yeah I was more thinking like the skills would function similarly but get rid of the current condition applications and increase the power damage. So the auto would get rid of bleed and do more damage, PDV would get rid of poison and increase power damage and apply vulnerability and static shot could become ricocheting shot and bounce to targets applying weakness and doing more damage than current but no more blind and confusion. Bumping up the damage to make it a viable power option but getting rid of the conditions as a trade for taking the trait. The Necromancer skill was just a recent example of how they changed a skills attributes with a trait.

Only thing that would suck about that option is you'd have to take a trait in (presumably firearms) a line so the builds would be limited anyway but that's still more valuable options than not having the trait at all.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

Would be cool though if they could make mainhand pistol a good power option comparable to sword on Holosmith. They could make a trait that changes the skills on pistol to have different effects for a more power oriented playstyle though similar so how they made the Necromancer scepter skill work differently.

Or they could change certain traits in core specializations like Iron Blooded to benefit kits and that's what I think would make core engineer better. Make more traits to benefit kits and make Holosmith the specialization with the least amount of build options.

Also, I'll never get the sword weapon on Holosmith. It just doesn't fit the profession theme wise.

I think the sword works but the skills are pretty lame, nothing special about it. Mace could have been cooler IMO playing into the Smith part of holosmith and have some AoE abilities on it.

Yes. There's 3 professions with 'gaps' to fill their core weapon sets:

• Engineer 1h melee weapon: a mace would be perfect for it.
  • Warrior 1h ranged weapon. A pistol or a 1h spear as a "Javelin" would fill that gap.
  • Revenant 1h ranged weapon and a second main hand condition weapon: A ranged axe with condition skills would fix that.
    • They also had missing a second underwater weapon, but that was marvelously fixed with the perfect set of trident skills. It's never too late.

I agree engi lack a power 1h and definitely mace or axe.

Sword feels really off for me as we already got the holo sword which is just awesome so when using the normal sword it just feels like a weaker version, much more fun to have the rifle stuff to go through with leaps shotgun blast cc etc than what you have with sword, the heat part of sword also feel like an attempt to make it interesting but since it didnt really change anything other than numbers it still feels exactly same, except maybe 2 skill with heat between 100-150.

Heres an idea. Make a weapon swap option for engineer, instead of giving it a weapon, give its currents weapons different modes.

EX:Pistol Normal -> Condi.Weapon Swap - Mode ChangePistol -> Power Weapon.

Rifle Normal -> Shotgun/ControlWeapon Swap - Mode ChangeRifle -> Rifle/Damage

Only works with Mainhand. So that is about 5-6 new skills needed to make it a functional idea.

I really don't think they will ever add additional core weapons. If they do it for one profession they'll be obligated to do it for all professions, even if some professions really don't need one. I think one of the reasons they created Elite specs in the first place was to solve the problem of giving out more weapons. Handing out additional core weapons just gives them a headache they don't really need as you are never going to be able to find an agreement on what an additional core weapon should be. I think in the end it would just create more bickering as people lobby to get their prefered weapon pushed forward and the folks who didn't get the weapon they thought should have been added being bitter.

@Arimas.3492 said:

I think the sword works but the skills are pretty lame, nothing special about it. Mace could have been cooler IMO playing into the Smith part of holosmith and have some AoE abilities on it.

Yeah ...... except Holosmith was clearly just meant to be Jedi/Sith and the smith part having no real bearing on the inspiration of what they were doing. Sometimes it's just best not to take things to literal.

I think one of the reason you don't play sword on Holo is because you don't really have any good choices for your off-hand, obviously the sword also has issues of its own, but generally the lack of power off-hand weapon/main-hand is I think very limiting for current and future e-specs as it means one-handed weapon have rather poor synergies with each other, because the shield is for sustain/CCs and pistol for condition, limiting you to dual wielding weapons.

Therefore having a mace (wrench) or a torch (welding torch) as power weapons would be more than appreciated.

Edit: Also Engineer is the class with the less weapons in the game (1 dual, 1 main, 2 off), so I think it's justified and doesn't force Anet to implement new weapons to core classes unless it's necessary, and I'd argue only Engineer and Revenant would benefit from having more weapons for their core.

@wiazabi.2549 said:I agree engi lack a power 1h and definitely mace or axe.

Sword feels really off for me as we already got the holo sword which is just awesome so when using the normal sword it just feels like a weaker version, much more fun to have the rifle stuff to go through with leaps shotgun blast cc etc than what you have with sword, the heat part of sword also feel like an attempt to make it interesting but since it didnt really change anything other than numbers it still feels exactly same, except maybe 2 skill with heat between 100-150.

I think this is pretty much acting as intended, however misplaced that intent might be. Sword allows the player to essentially double down on the holosmith playstyle, continuing to lightsaber after dropping out of holoforge. Doing so is often not a wise move without combining with a ranged kit, however: holosmiths don't really have the defenses to stay in melee indefinitely in most situations. Rifle works much better in practice since it allows you to go in to melee with holoforge while retaining the option to back off when you turn it off.

Reaper greatsword works on a similar principle, but reapers could better afford it due to reaper generally having good sustain in HoT (even if they were susceptible to attracting called target markers in sPvP).

Archived