Will GW2 run better on Win 8.1 or Win 10?

I don't think the OS will have much of an impact on your GW2 performance. The difference between Windows 8 and 10 is also really small (mostly UI stuff).

Things that have a big impact on GW2 performance:

• Harddrive (SSD has significantly shorter loading times)
  • 32-bit vs 64-bit OS (32-bit GW2 client used to run out of memory and crash)
  • CPU (GW2 needs high single-core performance and doesn't really benefit from more than 4 cores)

The Windows Pattern theory postulates that every other windows major milestone in the home versions of windows tends to be horrible:

• 2: Gasp
  • 3.1. That's the stuff.
  • 95: Meh
  • 98: Decent
  • ME: MEEEH.
  • XP: Passable
  • Vista: Boo.
  • 7: Nice
  • 8: Blegh.
  • 10 for some reason wasn't named 9, but it's the next one on the pattern.

If one trusts the pattern, then 7 and 10 would be preferable over 8.

although i would personally vote 10, i would recommend going around google on how to turn off the game bar and lower down the bandwidth reserve for windows updates. these two can be a make or break for anybody using the os any system. voting on 10 is just my personal opinion since it's new and currently has good support with companies. (considering the hardware you mentioned, make sure your devices have windows 10 drivers. some might not and you might have trouble if you jump the gun).

I saw that you have a 440 gt. I used to own a gt 630 just earlier this year. And i'm sure we're at the same boat here, or at least I was. gt 440 should have reached the end of support. Nvidia doesn't develop drivers for it anymore. The last i believe was sometime around...april? Take this into consideration before you change os. If you go with the older driver or change the card is up to you.

Archived