Possible Twisted Marionette Comeback? [LS4-4 Spoilers]

The twisted marionette fight was one of the most popular boss-fights ever created. Sadly it was a LS1 thing, so it can't be played anymore. Players have asked for its return and the implementation of bosses with similar mechanics for some time after the story moved on and the event became unavailable.

With the current living season I feel ANet has the means (story wise) to bring the marionette back. In the new map we already have a bubble where we can see a scene from the past play over and over again. I believe a similar bubble could pop up (possibly on the LS4-5 map) that features the marionette fight.

What do you think? Do you want the marionette to be brought back in an upcoming LS release?

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Isn't Vinewrath the same mechanics, basically?

In a very reduced way, yes. Vinewrath is three paths that feed into a free for all against one of three bosses. Marionette was five paths that fed into five separate groups of one of five bosses with special attacks happening from the Marionette itself in the middle of it. It was far more epic, and far, far easier for some random person or group to screw the whole thing up for everyone.

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:

In a very reduced way, yes. Vinewrath is three paths that feed into a free for all against one of three bosses. Marionette was five paths that fed into five separate groups of one of five bosses with special attacks happening from the Marionette itself in the middle of it. It was far more epic, and far, far easier for some random person or group to screw the whole thing up for everyone.

At the time of release, a lot of fans wrote that Vinewrath was how the Marionette should have been:

• Success of the event isn't stopped by the failure of any single lane.
  • Success of the event isn't random based on who is selected to help at each boss.
  • Everyone still has to work together on different aspects of the right.

It no longer feels epic because it's part of a major farm, so there are always (or nearly) always people who understand the mechanics and it was tuned for core builds (modern builds do much more damage, making many of the mechanics less important).

Although we can only speculate, I think it's a safe assumption that the five-path Marionette fight would also feel less epic if it were permanent content that was more than a few years old. Although temporary content is bad (for the game, for the community, for ANet developer sanity) in a lot of ways, it did add an urgency to everything going on, made makes even minor stuff seem thrilling, and truly thrilling things were off the charts.

Regardless, the Marionette, Vinewrath model for ultimate map events is really good. And we see it in a number of existing fights, including the Octovine/AB fight, the TD meta, Dragon's Stand meta, the much-maligned Serpent's Ire, the much-maligned Desolation spikey spike spike meta, etc.

The other model, the zergfest single-path assault, is also well-used in Istan, ley-line anomaly, most traditional WBs, the brandedededed shattererererer in the new map.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

At the time of release, a lot of fans wrote that Vinewrath was how the Marionette should have been:
  • Success of the event isn't stopped by the failure of any single lane.
  • Success of the event isn't random based on who is selected to help at each boss.
  • Everyone still has to work together on different aspects of the right.

It no longer feels epic because it's part of a major farm, so there are always (or nearly) always people who understand the mechanics and it was tuned for core builds (modern builds do much more damage, making many of the mechanics less important).

Although we can only speculate, I think it's a safe assumption that the five-path Marionette fight would also feel less epic if it were permanent content that was more than a few years old. Although temporary content is bad (for the game, for the community, for ANet developer sanity) in a lot of ways, it did add an urgency to everything going on, made makes even minor stuff seem thrilling, and truly thrilling things were off the charts.

Regardless, the Marionette, Vinewrath model for ultimate map events is really good. And we see it in a number of existing fights, including the Octovine/AB fight, the TD meta, Dragon's Stand meta, the much-maligned Serpent's Ire, the much-maligned Desolation spikey spike spike meta, etc.

The other model, the
zergfest
single-path assault, is also well-used in Istan, ley-line anomaly, most traditional WBs, the brandedededed shattererererer in the new map.

I can understand that, but my consideration is, I never really found the Vinewrath to be epic, even from the beginning. It seemed to a watered down thing. Fewer mobs attacking, fewer bosses. The bosses were more mechanically complex, at the time, but it was still less going on. Also it didn't feel like you were actually making any real progress as you progressed through the event. You just did some stuff then won. In the Marionette you were absolutely making progress because you were dismantling it piece by piece as you moved up the levels to the head. Even after the time was almost done and I wasn't doing it every day anymore because I didn't care, the whole experience still seemed epic.

I feel like the three HoT metas are generally pretty epic, but they only loosely connect to the Marionette and it's design. Basically in they they include different paths doing different things for the same goal. I would love/hate to see a return of the Marionette. It was awesome, but it cost too much to work. It took the whole zone. Reducing it in almost any way to make it work for less would just give us what we already have, so why bother. The only thing that could possibly do it justice, despite being severely reduced would be a Fractal, and even that is questionable at best. Maybe if they made some kind of special timed Fractal that could be lost?

Though they are similiar, they are not the same. Plus, VW of today has something Marionette never had. MEGA server!

If Marionette, being the 5 lane, 5 group all at once (and if memory serves limit of 5 people per chain attack platform) assault type event were created or brought back, chances are it would be much more successful more often than it was during its short run all those years ago because of the similarities it has with VW, but it'd still be a different type of fight with more people because of mega server.

I loved the rage Marionette induced in elitists and would like to see it return not only for that reason but for the presentation of that event in general. Sure, it failed quite often and was frustrating. But the number of people bathing in and gloating about their superiority were very high in these events too so many people got exactly what they deserved.

Vinewrath is fun too, although it is very simple and nearly a no-brainer when there are a handful of competent people involved.

@Torolan.5816 said:I loved the rage Marionette induced in elitists and would like to see it return not only for that reason but for the presentation of that event in general. Sure, it failed quite often and was frustrating. But the number of people bathing in and gloating about their superiority were very high in these events too so many people got exactly what they deserved.

Vinewrath is fun too, although it is very simple and nearly a no-brainer when there are a handful of competent people involved.

Ah, I remember those elitists. On one hand there were the real elites who would tag up before the event, count players to make sure every lane has roughly the same amount of players, explain the encounter to anyone who might be new and recommend skills that would be useful for a successful run. And then there were the wannabe-elites who would do nothing of the sort but flame the chat once the event went downhill.

I believe the Twisted Marionette was one of the earlyest events where PvE commanders really made a difference. I like events like that where people coordinate and talk with each other.

• 4 months later...

@"BunjiKugashira.9754" said:The twisted marionette fight was one of the most popular boss-fights ever created. Sadly it was a LS1 thing, so it can't be played anymore.Each day that I live I'm thanking all the gods that I don't have to do this again. I spend around 50 fights on this think AND never mange to win it. Each time there was ONE platform that disconect/wiped/changechars to make the event failed. So we spend 10 minutes waiting on the other platform till the marionette did kill us. This was mainly the reason why I quit Guild Wars for 2 years.

It was an absolute stupid mechanic punish others without being able to do anything about it.

Archived