So when will the asura go to space?

Kovac.4372

I mean, technically, they already did since The Mists is space.

But if you mean create rockets that are capable of escaping atmosphere, as well as creating an artificial environment with oxygen, I rather doubt they have that tech (no evidence of rockets, and their levitating cube cities all touch the water with no sign of being able to move let alone rise up; smaller cubes never go higher than their surroundings as well).

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:But if you mean create rockets that are capable of escaping atmosphere, as well as creating an artificial environment with oxygen, I rather doubt they have that tech (no evidence of rockets, and their levitating cube cities all touch the water with no sign of being able to move let alone rise up; smaller cubes never go higher than their surroundings as well).

I'd say combustion technology is a few steps below AI and levitation (fundamental forces manipulation) ... not to mention teleportation and inter-dimensional travel.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:no, not lower. Different.

Essentially, this. Asura technology relies on magic, which means that they can achieve some things that are futuristic from our perspective, but where the technology is actually relatively primitive... they're just skipping over things that are hard to do with pure technology by using magic instead.

A functional space rocket would probably require charr-asura collaboration. Heck, charr-human collaboration might not even need the asura (although they would probably still benefit from an asura contribution).

Another issue is having a drive to go into space and touching the moon or other celestial bodies. Not to say that asura are interested in such things, but they are currently a bit preoccupied with the dragons that are currently trying to destroy all their labs. I don't think any asura is ready to give up on the planet just yet, even if they had to be sent to the surface. And that's another thing: they were underground for years, and astronomy is a newer study for them relative to all their other scientific pursuits. It's likely asura have never thought going higher than the surface is even possible.

@Kovac.4372 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:But if you mean create rockets that are capable of escaping atmosphere, as well as creating an artificial environment with oxygen, I rather doubt they have that tech (no evidence of rockets, and their levitating cube cities all touch the water with no sign of being able to move let alone rise up; smaller cubes never go higher than their surroundings as well).

I'd say combustion technology is a few steps below AI and levitation (fundamental forces manipulation) ... not to mention teleportation and inter-dimensional travel.

It's not really "lower" so much as "a completely different field". One is combustion, the other is data.

Charr are more likely to get atmospheric escaping rockets before asura, TBH.

@Rognik.2579 said:Another issue is having a drive to go into space and touching the moon or other celestial bodies. Not to say that asura are interested in such things, but they are currently a bit preoccupied with the dragons that are currently trying to destroy all their labs. I don't think any asura is ready to give up on the planet just yet, even if they had to be sent to the surface.

What if some impending doom on the world (maybe the Elder dragons proving more dangerous than currently anticipated) would force them to establish escape plans from this world ... the races from the previous cycle barely survived (dwarves, forgotten, mursaat, seer ...). If we consider current Mars projects being worked on partially so we have somewhere to go in case our planet turns on us, might not the asura feel sufficient drive to seek similar means of escape because of the many dangers already active in Tyria? I think so.

And about the means, what others said, the spacecraft wouldn't have to be propelled by combustion or rocket fuel ... I'm sure the Asura have more powerful magical gizmos available that could propel their vessels ... or at least they could figure those out easily ...

@Kovac.4372 said:

@"Rognik.2579" said:Another issue is having a drive to go into space and touching the moon or other celestial bodies. Not to say that asura are interested in such things, but they are currently a bit preoccupied with the dragons that are currently trying to destroy all their labs. I don't think any asura is ready to give up on the planet just yet, even if they had to be sent to the surface.

What if some impending doom on the world (maybe the Elder dragons proving more dangerous than currently anticipated) would force them to establish escape plans from this world ... the races from the previous cycle barely survived (dwarves, forgotten, mursaat, seer ...). If we consider current Mars projects being worked on partially so we have somewhere to go in case our planet turns on us, might not the asura feel sufficient drive to seek similar means of escape because of the many dangers already active in Tyria? I think so.

And about the means, what others said, the spacecraft wouldn't have to be propelled by combustion or rocket fuel ... I'm sure the Asura have more powerful magical gizmos available that could propel their vessels ... or at least they could figure those out easily ...

In a case of "we need to leave the planet" it is easier, and already achieveable, to simply go into the Mists to find another world. This was how humanity and the Forgotten arrived on Tyria, and how the mursaat escaped the Elder Dragons, after all.

Archived