A Different Kind of Shatterer needs amount of imprisoned soldiers to be increased.

That is just unacceptable. In a map that has a high population, to get an event to fail is almost impossible. When it does fail, the crystals are destroyed almost instantly by people who don't watch map chat, or have no idea that others need it as well. For about 4 hours each day, I try to get the event to fail. I ask in map chat, local chat. I pop my Commander tag and try to guide others away, and to instruct them on what the achievement requirements are. Either I am ignored completely, with a "lol ur dumb" reply, or I am listened to; we get absolutely no progress on the defense, and it fails as required. However, once the event sets up for the retaking, the 10 soldiers are immediately freed without anyone having giving others the courtesy of getting in a hit or two for credit.

I understand; achievements are supposed to be challenging. But when an entire map is ready to assist, are all grouped around you, and the achievement requirements are stolen by some random runarounds who don't care that they are robbing others' time and effort, it gets incredibly frustrating. I pride myself in-game for being a mentor, a commander, a person who helps others out, be it in classes, skill management, combo fields, attribute choices, Hero Points, Dungeons, Fractals, etc. I want to be able to help others get this, and perhaps the amount of imprisoned could be increased, or the amount to be freed decreased. In any case, thank you for your time. I do appreciate the time you put into the chapter. It's just the completionist in me that is irked by this.

Tried this achievement and barely even got to 1 crystal and hit it before all 10 were already destroyed... and got 0/10 for the achievement! Have heard of others having the same issue where hits do not count when they should on the event, so trying this one just seems like a waste of time for me atm. Can really see this as being a problem rn if an organized group tries to get everyone a chance and people troll and break crystals before the group can even reach them. There should be more crystals and/or much more health per crystal so that everyone participating gets credit without having to repeat it 10+ times.

I was in a map earlier today with a dev who said the difficulty with this cheeve was the result of a known bug that they were working to fix. Apparently there are supposed to be crystal-imprisoned soldiers during the rift event as well as during the event following a failed rift event . . .

But I have another problem with this event and I wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar. On my first attempt I only tagged one crystal, and just barely bc I wanted to give other ppl a chance to tag as well. So yay, 1/10. I've had two additional attempts since then where I tagged 3 or 4 crystals and haven't gotten credit for any of them. On most of these failed attempts to tag I have done much more damage than I did on the first, successful, attempt bc I thought it might be an issue of my doing too little damage to register but that doesn't seem to be the case. The only other thought I had was that perhaps my second two attempts were significantly upscaled and the greater amount of damage I did on those attempts was proportionally less than the first, successful, tag. That theory does not seem to be consistent with the environment as I perceived it during those events however. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else had run into any similar issues . . ?

EDIT: One last important thing to note that I forgot to mention if any players are trying to keep track of this. Sometimes when you break a crystal, the imprisoned soldier has already been branded and that does not count towards the cheeve. You have to actually save the soldier for it to count. But I haven't seen a timer or anything on that, it may just be rng . . .

My reaction to seeing that this achievement is hidden behind a failed event was literally a facepalm.My reaction to seeing that the crystal prisons are gone within a blink of an eye after the event starts and that hardly anyone even gets credit is just speechlessness.At this point it is hard to believe that they did something like this by mistake. Again.

I have yet to see the event fail. It is disappointing that an achieve is tied to a fail event. A lot of folk are out and about doing this event and the crystals if they spawn will be gone too fast for people to get them. I have yet to be on any map where the crystals have spawned. I would think ANet could come up with an alternative way to accomplish this event. I do not mind working for an achieve but this one seems impossible the way it is structured now.

Just did another try and despite pleading from a lot of folk a few ignored and made the achieve impossible yet again by completing the event. This achieve is plainly a bad design. Putting it behind a fail just is not working if anyone wants this achieve.

Yes, this achievement is troublesome for two reasons. First, it requires an even to fail (which should never be the case, not doing content should not equal greater rewards). Second, getting credit for freeing soldiers seems to be very hit or miss. I just attempted this achievement for the first time about an hour ago. It was my first time attempting it because ever other time, people would complete the preceding event. This time, however, the event was let to fail, and everyone who had been waiting patiently went around and tagged the crystals. I was able to tag four crystals before they were all destroyed, yet I only got credit for one.

It's quite discouraging as there are so many hurdles you need to jump for successful completion of this achievement. First you need to wait for the preceding event to spawn, then hope the event fails so the "freeing" even will spawn, then you need to do that however many times it takes until you get credit for freeing 10 soldiers. In my experience, that would mean going through that whole rigmarole at least 10 times, which is.... not something I'm looking forward to, to be honest. Removing the necessity for the preceding event to fail could rectify this.

Edit: Three hours later I was able to find an instance in which the preceding even was allowed to fail. This time I was only able to tag two crystals, and got credit for neither. Not fun. Along with being tied to a failed event, I think the criteria for getting credit for freeing soldiers should be looked at as well.

One final edit: A group of 20+ players managed to let the event fail, and again many people were not able to progress the achievement. I sincerely hope the devs take a look at this. I'm all for challenging achievements, but this is just frustrating to make zero progress after finally letting the preceding event fail.

Time for a novel suggestion, let's see if any dev at anet, or anyone at all, has the courage to stand up and accept responsibility. We all know that hiding achievements behind the need to fail group events has long been shown to be a critical design error, and yet still they do it. Secondly, making achievements competitive has been shown to be a critical design error, and still they do it. But it isn't just the frustration in the user community that needs addressing, both of these will require a fix, costing anet design and developer resources that could have been directed elsewhere [or even channeled into shareholder profits]. So here's the challenge. Responsible anet developer stand up and explain how this came to pass.

@Aaralyna.3104 said:I just did this event after patch, crystals were there but despite attacking 2 of them from start till end (killed with someone else) nothing counted. So there still has to be done something about this.

I got credit for one without trying hard. Someone else on the same map says they got credit for 10. So it might be getting in early hits, i.e. the usual problem with getting credit from a target (so joining a party or squad probably helps).

@Aaralyna.3104 said:I just did this event after patch, crystals were there but despite attacking 2 of them from start till end (killed with someone else) nothing counted. So there still has to be done something about this.

One thing to consider is whether the crystal releases a live or branded soldier. If it doesn't release a live soldier, it won't count. As far as I can tell there is no way to know in advance whether a crystal will release a live or branded soldier . . .

That said, I have def had occasions where I did the vast majority of the damage to a crystal which released a live soldier and I still didn't get credit. This was pre-patch, so idk if that problem persists. Several ppl in map have said that only the person who delivers the last physical hit to the crystal can get credit, and if the crystal shatters to condi then no one gets credit, but I can't believe anet would actually design it that way intentionally so I am dubious . . .

I have done it today again (now it doesn't matter if event fails or succeeds, they will be there regardless). Yesterday someone mentioned, try to attack melee only as ranged doesn't seem to work. So today I killed the crystals (5 of them) melee and all of them counted for me (even if they did not show npc inside). So maybe thats the trick, kill crystals melee.

@Jethro.9376 said:I can't even seem to hit the crystals with my axe auto (necro) because they're obstructed. The crystals i did manage to damage (wells/shouts) got me no credit torwards the achievement.

I don't think those count (wells/shouts). Same as condi damage not counting (at least my shatters don't work). Mesmer clones/illusions, necro adds and pets also don't seem to count. Only raw player based melee damage. The crystal is still a structure and not a mob. If it shows obstructed, make sure you don't have any object between (elevation of ground can be one of those).

@Aaralyna.3104 said:I have done it today again (now it doesn't matter if event fails or succeeds, they will be there regardless). Yesterday someone mentioned, try to attack melee only as ranged doesn't seem to work. So today I killed the crystals (5 of them) melee and all of them counted for me (even if they did not show npc inside). So maybe thats the trick, kill crystals melee.

Just did the achievement with my staff ele, so ranged does seem to work.

Archived