Why Legendary weapons are better than anything else?

So yesterday I've seen a cool looking sword and whispered the guy and asked him to show me which weapon is that.But looking at the stats of that legendary sword it's the same as my exotix one I got with the boost?

6O9i5n0.png

The damage range is the same, it has 2 slots too and my regular sword even has +Power, toughness and vitality.

What am I missing here?

The important thing to notice is the text "Transmuted" and "Exotic Greatsword". That player used an exotic greatsword and applied the legendary skin to it. It is still an exotic greatsword. I do agree though, that items using the skin's rarity instead of the item's to determine text colour is confusing.

As to why the Power, Toughness, etc stats are missing: Reaper's Greatsword is a weapon where you can choose it's stats freely the first time you acquire it. Stat-selectable items don't show their stats when posted into chat. I guess because of technical limitations. It's a weird and counter-intuitive behaviour.

You can see the actual stats (and all the other info) for Twilight on it's Wiki page: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Twilight

But legendary weapons don't have higher stats than everything else, they're equal to ascended weapons of the same type. There are two things which make them better:1) Selectable stats - at any point you can right-click a legendary and change the stats, choosing from every stat combination in the game and you can swap the sigils without losing the ones already in there. This is useful for people who like to change their build a lot, especially if they want some of the rarer stat combinations which are hard to get otherwise.2) The skins. Legendaries have more complicated skins and special effects than other weapons - as well as the weapon itself which is always something unique and fancy they have special effects when they're drawn, an aura around the character in combat, special projectiles and footstep effects.

GW2 is designed to be a very casual game where 'vertical' character progression - getting higher levels and more powerful equipment - is kept to a minimum and instead uses a lot of 'horizontal' progression. This can either be things with situational and therefore largely optional benefits like a lot of the masteries (e.g. you only need the first 3 mounts and the first 3 tiers of each one's mastery to finish PoF) or, most often it's cosmetic benefits - unlocking new skins and effects to make your character(s) look cool.

That's exactly how legendaries are designed. No one will ever need a legendary weapon to complete anything in this game, but if you really like one of those skins and you want a long-term goal to work towards while playing you can make one.

@"BunjiKugashira.9754" said:Stat-selectable items don't show their stats when posted into chat. I guess because of technical limitations. It's a weird and counter-intuitive behaviour.

It is because the chat link format doesn't support a itemstat field. This is because back when the format was created stat selecting didn't exist yet. They could update the format but they haven't. There was even talk of doing so but that was quite a while ago and obviously nothing has come of it either. It would just need another field that contains one of the ids from https://api.guildwars2.com/v2/itemstats

@Tyrick.9805 said:

@"melandru.3876" said:the full soldier warrior returns

I'm a Guardian :)

I know your question has been answered, but probably worth having a look here on stats/gear acquisition:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User:Tanetris/So_You_Want_To_Gear_a_Character

P.s. the approach GW2 has of making exotics use legendary colours confuses me too. Keep trying to stats select when it's not possible.

@Tajiseed.7831 said:

@"melandru.3876" said:the full soldier warrior returns

I'm a Guardian :)

I know your question has been answered, but probably worth having a look here on stats/gear acquisition:

P.s. the approach GW2 has of making exotics use legendary colours confuses me too. Keep trying to stats select when it's not possible.

This article is really helpful, thank you!

My advise would be: Don't go full zerker on boosted guardian, strait away. Get ascended trinkets, berserk and see how it goes for you, then work on ascended weapons zerker but keep your soldier armor for open world, see how you doing. 11k HP guardian in any spec takes time to learn to deal with. I have seen may that boosted, got after meta, went out to OW died dozen times, lost confident and interest in the class.