Starting out with a new MMO player.

Hey guys. I am going to be playing with someone who is new to MMO's she wants to try the Necro out first then maybe the Ranger if she doesn't like the Necro.
I am trying to narrow my selection down and would like to know if a Mesmer or Revenant would make a better pair to help out. I only ask cause I want to make it as easy as possible for her to pick how to play an MMO. I have the heart of the thorns xpac from a while ago not sure if that makes a difference it been a few years.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

I agree that something you're comfortable with is important, if you want to focus on helping her you don't want to be spending too much time trying to work out what's going on with your own skills.

But I'd also suggest something with good support abilities, both to help her out directly and to get her into that mindset of playing together with other people - making sure you're in range to share boons, healing each other etc. Maybe an elementalist or guardian? Mesmer would also be a good choice, especially since, as @maidiance.6920 said you'll be able to offer portals too. (Although I'd definitely encourage her to try getting to places herself and only use portals as a last resort, because it does take practice to get the hang of it and if you never get a chance to practice you'll never be any good and always have to rely on someone else doing it for you.)

When i need to carry someone i always hop on mesmer, to be honest i'm not a fan of this class but the portal and a right build make mesmer really good at guiding/helping others out but only if you have enough knowledge and mastery to actually "move around". I will also take rev/herald into heavy consideration because they offer so many useful boons + boon duration and if by chance you gain access to PoF rev can provide massive alacrity uptime, in case you don't know alacrity is a boon can helps reducethe cooldown on any skills and utilities.

for levelling, anything will do. After reaching 80 and heading into the jungle (if you skip LS2), than it matters more to have a support build to save your partner while they discover the joys of the jungle such as pocket raptors or smokescales.

Something that can provide group protection plus healing would probably be the most noob friendly support you can provide (and that can be provided by herald, ranger, engineer/holo/scrapper, as far as I can recall).

Wow thanks for all the tips did not expect that many reply's.I played back when the game first came out I have an 80 ranger, engi, and necro so I am not wanting to relevel one of those. I have played all the other classes (except Revenant) mostly in WvW though so I am a little clueless PvE wise when it comes to the classes.The ones that interest me to play on the PvE side are the Revenant, Mesmer, and Guardian the first because well its a new class to me and the second two because I enjoyed them while playing WvW so one would assume they would be enjoyable in PvE?

Guardian is probably a good one to level with your friend. It offers healing and buffs, even at core. Once you start the expansions, I suggest firebrand for a team player build. Lots of buffs and heals. For open world stuff, I tend to run in Marauder's gear mixed with Beserker's to keep my dps and add some vitality (guards tend to be low health). For dungeons I switch to healing gear and a healbrand setup.

I would also suggest guardian, as the core version will allow you many options to be mostly supportive, mostly offensive, or a mix of both.

Mesmer... is fun, can hit hard, and has a lot of utility, but I think it would assume too much about your ability to excel at this game (not just combat, but in-depth knowledge of how the game works) to say that it would be a great support class. The Heart of Thorns elite version of mesmer (the chronomancer) does indeed have a very supportive build, but that won't be until you both reach 80.

Revenant/herald is a great supportive class as well, but adds energy management to the support side of things. I have a full support herald that is great at pumping out heals and boons, but I still find it inferior to almost any form of guardian I could bring to group content. I think it's just easier for a guardian to maintain the proper mix of support and offensive assistance to make encounters smoother.

I think the Mesmer's portal ability alone makes it the best choice for helping your friend out.

Honestly, playing a necro, she won't need much combat help. Her minions will rofl-stomp everything in core Tyria, no sweat. But she might get stuck on jumping puzzles and stuff. Having her own Mesmer buddy who can portal her up to key spots will be really helpful.

@"Irensaga.6935" said:I think the Mesmer's portal ability alone makes it the best choice for helping your friend out.

Honestly, playing a necro, she won't need much combat help. Her minions will rofl-stomp everything in core Tyria, no sweat. But she might get stuck on jumping puzzles and stuff. Having her own Mesmer buddy who can portal her up to key spots will be really helpful.

The portaling can be covered by https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Watchwork_Portal_Device which conveniently becomes purchasable on Tuesday for karma and snowflakes although it can be crafted as well.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@"Irensaga.6935" said:I think the Mesmer's portal ability alone makes it the best choice for helping your friend out.

The portaling can be covered by
which conveniently becomes purchasable on Tuesday for karma and snowflakes although it can be crafted as well.

Also, remember Thieves than portal too, now.