Raid Power reaper - focus or warhorn — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Raid Power reaper - focus or warhorn

I'm new to Necro... When looking at snowcrows, metabattle they suggest warhorn with impact sigil with 7% dmg on stunned foes but the stun on skill4 is just 2 secs ...

But the trait cold shoulder in reaper line gives 15% dmg against chilled foes... Focus skill5 gives 6 secs of chillness and skill4 gives 15% life force

And looking at some forum threads (2018 threads) suggest that focus is trash

Also the rotations doesn't seem to include warhorn skills at all in snowcrows... Like the skill4 never used at all for triggering the 7% dmg.

Maybe focus got buffed recently and snowcrows didn't update it?

Someone plz explain...

Comments

  • Dadnir.5038Dadnir.5038 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Well, raid don't take into account what you read litterally. The contest between focus and WH is a war of utility and, in raids WH will often offer you better utility.

    WH is favored over focus because it give you more ability to break the breakbar and Impact sigil give you more damage while in breakbar phase. (This won't be included into the dps rotation but it is what make it more optimal as an offhand)

    In raid you won't be a solo hero, you'll have more than enough players with you to make the chill on focus skill#5 unneeded.

    That said, in a raid fight against a boss that don't have a breakbar phase, you'll favor focus because it can offer you better LF management. (anyway, neither focus nor warhorn are valid as dps tools since the life leeching calamity that fell on them.)

  • Methuselah.4376Methuselah.4376 Member ✭✭✭

    I use warhorn for all encounters except Dhuum where I take focus to help remove boons.

  • Lahmia.2193Lahmia.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

    To clarify, the +7% from Impact only works on bosses if the break bar is broken since the effect of breaking is 5 seconds of Stun.

    "Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death."

  • Methuselah.4376Methuselah.4376 Member ✭✭✭

    @Lahmia.2193 said:
    To clarify, the +7% from Impact only works on bosses if the break bar is broken since the effect of breaking is 5 seconds of Stun.

    Also note that the Keep Construct triggers the extra 7% during burn phases.

  • Xxnecroxx.4039Xxnecroxx.4039 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2019

    @Crystal Paladin.3871 said:
    I'm new to Necro... When looking at snowcrows, metabattle they suggest warhorn with impact sigil with 7% dmg on stunned foes but the stun on skill4 is just 2 secs ...

    But the trait cold shoulder in reaper line gives 15% dmg against chilled foes... Focus skill5 gives 6 secs of chillness and skill4 gives 15% life force

    And looking at some forum threads (2018 threads) suggest that focus is trash

    Also the rotations doesn't seem to include warhorn skills at all in snowcrows... Like the skill4 never used at all for triggering the 7% dmg.

    Maybe focus got buffed recently and snowcrows didn't update it?

    Someone plz explain...

    if you are doing raid necro, here is my top, bring and different DPS. you will perform better more than likely since DPS necro is a joke tbh unless you are corrupting boons

  • Sigmoid.7082Sigmoid.7082 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2019

    @Xxnecroxx.4039 said:

    @Crystal Paladin.3871 said:
    I'm new to Necro... When looking at snowcrows, metabattle they suggest warhorn with impact sigil with 7% dmg on stunned foes but the stun on skill4 is just 2 secs ...

    But the trait cold shoulder in reaper line gives 15% dmg against chilled foes... Focus skill5 gives 6 secs of chillness and skill4 gives 15% life force

    And looking at some forum threads (2018 threads) suggest that focus is trash

    Also the rotations doesn't seem to include warhorn skills at all in snowcrows... Like the skill4 never used at all for triggering the 7% dmg.

    Maybe focus got buffed recently and snowcrows didn't update it?

    Someone plz explain...

    if you are doing raid necro, here is my top, bring and different DPS. you will perform better more than likely since DPS necro is a joke tbh unless you are corrupting boons

    Don't really get what corrupting boons has to do with DPS. Protection doesn't need removing that often.

  • Asum.4960Asum.4960 Member ✭✭✭

    Necromancer Offhands in PvE, aside from Torch on Scourge, are in such a bad state that they are basically just stat sticks and you won't actually use the abilities on them much.
    The reason Warhorn was chosen over Focus is because you can contribute to breakbars with Warhorn 4.

    Impact Sigil always provides a 3% modifier, additionally the 7% doesn't require you personally to CC, nor does it rely on the duration of your CC's and is active on any breakbar, with duration of CC's just increasing their contribution to Breakbar damage to get it broken.

    In group content conditions like Chill will most likely be covered, but even if there should be some downtimes, Focus 5 with it's one second cast time as well as slow aftercast over all would be a DPS loss, which is why it isn't used.

    "As you know, those who you once called friends have become enemies." ~Glint

  • Xxnecroxx.4039Xxnecroxx.4039 Member ✭✭✭

    @Sigmoid.7082 said:

    @Xxnecroxx.4039 said:

    @Crystal Paladin.3871 said:
    I'm new to Necro... When looking at snowcrows, metabattle they suggest warhorn with impact sigil with 7% dmg on stunned foes but the stun on skill4 is just 2 secs ...

    But the trait cold shoulder in reaper line gives 15% dmg against chilled foes... Focus skill5 gives 6 secs of chillness and skill4 gives 15% life force

    And looking at some forum threads (2018 threads) suggest that focus is trash

    Also the rotations doesn't seem to include warhorn skills at all in snowcrows... Like the skill4 never used at all for triggering the 7% dmg.

    Maybe focus got buffed recently and snowcrows didn't update it?

    Someone plz explain...

    if you are doing raid necro, here is my top, bring and different DPS. you will perform better more than likely since DPS necro is a joke tbh unless you are corrupting boons

    Don't really get what corrupting boons has to do with DPS. Protection doesn't need removing that often.

    depending on the boon you corrupt you can get increased damage, like if you corrupt vigor into bleed, that is turning a boon into a DoT, so you gain some damage

  • Sigmoid.7082Sigmoid.7082 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Xxnecroxx.4039 said:

    @Sigmoid.7082 said:

    @Xxnecroxx.4039 said:

    @Crystal Paladin.3871 said:
    I'm new to Necro... When looking at snowcrows, metabattle they suggest warhorn with impact sigil with 7% dmg on stunned foes but the stun on skill4 is just 2 secs ...

    But the trait cold shoulder in reaper line gives 15% dmg against chilled foes... Focus skill5 gives 6 secs of chillness and skill4 gives 15% life force

    And looking at some forum threads (2018 threads) suggest that focus is trash

    Also the rotations doesn't seem to include warhorn skills at all in snowcrows... Like the skill4 never used at all for triggering the 7% dmg.

    Maybe focus got buffed recently and snowcrows didn't update it?

    Someone plz explain...

    if you are doing raid necro, here is my top, bring and different DPS. you will perform better more than likely since DPS necro is a joke tbh unless you are corrupting boons

    Don't really get what corrupting boons has to do with DPS. Protection doesn't need removing that often.

    depending on the boon you corrupt you can get increased damage, like if you corrupt vigor into bleed, that is turning a boon into a DoT, so you gain some damage

    Not really all that relevant for what this thread is about , power reaper .

  • Nimon.7840Nimon.7840 Member ✭✭✭✭

    The only time I use focus:

    Is on quadim 2.0

    Sounds weird right? Using scepter+focus/torch to be pylon dude.
    Here's why:
    Better lf generation than torch on range and helps removing boons in endphase

    Else warhorn is much more useful for the cc it provides.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.