Give us missing elites, please?

The Boz.2038

I know this idea has been thrown around a lot recently about fleshing out the remaining healing and elite skills to cover all skill types for each class. I don’t remember the usually consensus I’ve seen about though.

I did have an idea about introducing them, but still keeping the power of elite specs in check. What if they were added solely as a base class feature? Obviously pretty much every base class is overshadowed in almost every way by an elite spec, especially since the “trade off” idea that Anet is attempting to use never feels as big as it should be. The synergy from gaining a new trait line tailored specifically for a certain play style along with any 2 base trait lines is significantly more powerful than any 3 base trait lines. Outside of disallowing the class mechanic trait line (ie, Virtues, Invocation, Discipline, Tools, Beastmastery, Trickery, Arcane, Illusions, Soul Reaping), fleshing out the skill types for the base specs is a simple way to add power back into the base class without affecting the elite specs. Possibly allows for some base classes to at least have some niche builds rather than “this is the best you can do without an expansion”, and is potentially easier to design and implement due to no longer needing to worry about how it would interact with the 18 (to be 27) different elite specs or whether it would significantly increase the power for different builds.

Obviously some issues with this approach (and finishing out the skill types in general) is that Engineers have only 4 skill types (instead of 5) with more skills per type (5 skills each instead of 4) and that all they would get is a gadget elite. In addition, Revenant as a whole, where their skills are obviously based on legends and they have all they need per legend. The only options I can see for those are:

-Engineer: redesign the base skills to be in line with how the rest of the classes are (extremely unlikely to happen)

-Revenant: add in a 4th utility skill for the base legends that is only available to be chosen as a base Rev. This will probably be lackluster due to how the base Revenant has always been criticized for being designed with elite specs in mind rather than as a base spec like the other classes have.

Due to the disparity with Engineer and Revenant compared to other classes, I doubt we’re going to see an idea like I described implemented, let alone simply adding the remaining skill types to begin with.

Oh yes two new elites for the mesmer, please.

- Type Clone:
Phantasmal Babysitter: Summons Phantasmal Babysitters who cradle enemies in their arms, putting them to sleep for X seconds while the mesmer plays an instrument singing a pleasant lullaby, gaining protection and  stealing XXX health from each one of the foes affected per second.
Number of targets: 5
(Purpose: Pacify enemies while gaining an advantage for itself and allies.)

- Type Mantra:
Mantra of Eternity:

* Restores 75% of  the remaining life of foes' health and 100% the remaining life of the allies' health in the area. (PvP/WvW) 

* Restores XX% the remaining life of the allies' health.  (PvE)

Note: The number of players affected will always be the highest common denominator that is equal in both sides, allies and foes, calculated on the number of players in each side in the area of the skill up to the maximum numbers of targets affected by the skill. (Due to be balanced it in PvP/WvW.  Of course, in PvE it will always being the maximum number of targets. And foes restored health is removed, you don't want to heal enemies there or due tooltip purposes it could be 0% to foes. lol)

Maximum health after healing is 100%.
Maximum count: X 
Maximum number of targets: X- XX
Radius: XXXX
Count recharge: XX seconds.
(Purpose:

- PVP/WvW: To make the foe end up bored and encourage him to leave to dedicate himself to do something more productive (PvP/WvW)

-PvE: To defeat the foe faster and to give the mesmer the sustain it lacks meanwhile, others, can refill its health bar every few seconds without sacrifice damage.)
I was tempted to call it ... "Mantra of The Neverending Story" or as it's an elite... "The Neverending Story Mantra"  to make it looks cooler .  😋)

To: @Fire Attunement.9835 @Cal Cohen.2358 @Cal Cohen.3527

In fact, the way of balance Mantra of Eternity i explained previously could be the solution for the Mirage's endurance in PvP/WvW instead of do a full rework of the specialization. The idea is to make the endurace fill rate variable and adaptable depending on the number of enemies that attack you.. If in the 1vs1 case two dodges are too much...  put this on the equation of the Mirage's endurance bar:

- PvE:    endurance fill rate  100% + vigor % as it has two dodges.

- PvP/ WvW  endurance fill rate = 1XX% + vigor % per second,  where XX is relative to the number of enemies when you are outnumbered, being XX additional quantity per foe around you in XXXX radius area.  So in 1vs1 scenery it will  change nothing and works like now, but when you are outnumbered in XXX area around you, your endurance will be filled faster to compensate the "one dodge man"  cr*p and unfair nerf to the Mirage's mechanic in PvP/WvW).

It is not the most comprehensive way to balance facing the player and to describe it in the wiki... But it should work and be effective if you really have no idea how to balance properly the Mirage Cloak in competitive modes. At least, it will be more fair than cripple the Mirage until you find a final proper solution.

As an engineer I always try to find the simplest and most economical solution that is optimal for the client. But, if only the complex one works... as long as the problem is completely solved, that will be the appropriate one.  You always try to find the most elegant solution, but sometimes the best one is not so pretty until you find a better one. So you apply it and there will be time to improve, but it will always be better than the sh*t that was previously active or working.

For the third expansion I doubt that the idea of this topic can be fulfilled because there is little time left. But it would be an interesting addition for the fourth expansion to add new elites and healing skills for all types of utilities to have their respective elite and healing type completed. Also fix the lack of underwater versions of a lot of skills...  

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Zoser.7245
  • Like 2