Why doesn't GW2 have the option of 1x1 duels??

Here we go again:

2 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

1. going by your own argument, those duelists would need their own special place. You said yourself: they would/should not interfere with vistas, merchants, events, etc.

They don't need a special place. They just need to block the feature near those places. Exactly how it happens now that you cannot mount near some vistas/jumping puzzles.

3 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

2. yes, spaces on the map occupied by players are places lost for other intents on this map. This already happens in WvW for example and is an issue there. This already happens in PvE via other players who area idle, etc. There is 0!!! reason to make this problem larger

Again, as I said, is okay to occupy "server" space if you are going to roleplay or gather resources, but is not okay if my friend and I are going to be dueling... You could say I'm being selfish with my "type" of play. I could say you are the one being selfish wanting me out of Tyria in order to duel....

6 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

3. we know that which balance and skills are in effect (Spvp, PvE or WvW) is map specific and can NOT, as far as we know, be mixed. In short: it is techincally not possible to have a pvp ruleset in a pve map

Of the very few players that we are asking for duels, fewer are asking for balance. Dueling in open world is not about balance. Is  just a easy and quick way of having some fun. If you want that type of hardcore dueling, you can go to the options the game already offers.

8 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

4. high skill usage creates lag. We just now had a patch released where the developers INTENTIONALLY reduced precast skills to fight skill lag. We know this is map wide from high skill usage in WvW or high population pve maps

This is the same as point 2. It is okay to have 80 people fighting and casting spells against IA, but it's not okay to have 2 players fighting each other because they are stealing the server resources. From your point of view, I'm the selfish, and from mine you are the one that is being selfish.

Again, I'm pretty aware that duels getting implemented have little to no chance. But atleast we can have this conversation and please try to undertand each others wants.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Naxian.9823 said:

And that is why we are discussing it on the forums, see? Is not a tool to go to someone else and say "You are wrong". Is a tool useful to share points of view.

I never said "you are wrong."  Please don't attribute such statements to me.  This comment seems rather snarky to me.

As for your dueling, how would you propose to find players against whom you could duel in OW, especially if it is an opt-in system?  Please elaborate on how you believe such a system would work.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Naxian.9823 said:

Again, as I said, is okay to occupy "server" space if you are going to roleplay or gather resources, but is not okay if my friend and I are going to be dueling... You could say I'm being selfish with my "type" of play. I could say you are the one being selfish wanting me out of Tyria in order to duel....

hmmm... it's almost as if the game is designed for role-playing and/or gathering resources.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I never said "you are wrong."  Please don't attribute such statements to me.  This comment seems rather snarky to me.

You are right. Sorry about that. English is not my main language and sometimes I don't interpret things right, and thus I reply wrong.

2 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

As for your dueling, how would you propose to find players against whom you could duel in OW, especially if it is an opt-in system?  Please elaborate on how you believe such a system would work.

I don't want to duel randoms. I want to duel my friends while we play the rest of the game. I will know which of my friends have bought it.

5 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yes it is all the 3 people you listed play the game without altering it at all open world duels alter it in a bad way since you want spvp balance when you duel right?

5 minutes ago, Naxian.9823 said:

Of the very few players that we are asking for duels, fewer are asking for balance. Dueling in open world is not about balance. Is  just a easy and quick way of having some fun. If you want that type of hardcore dueling, you can go to the options the game already offers.

1 minute ago, Naxian.9823 said:

Here we go again:

They don't need a special place. They just need to block the feature near those places. Exactly how it happens now that you cannot mount near some vistas/jumping puzzles.

You are assuming that every map will have enough space.

No, that is what you are reading into what I said.

I'm saying that as far as map metas or big events, none of the other aspects and players who are not participating are productive. There is no reason to add another group on top of that.

There is a difference between accepting something which is in place, and accepting something which adds on top. In some cases the developers actively prevented unproductive play, for example by locking out specific adventures, hero points, etc. while a map meta is in effect, especially visible in HoT.

In short:

The amount of players who want this are so insignificant small, why bother?

This is the same as point 2. It is okay to have 80 people fighting and casting spells against IA, but it's not okay to have 2 players fighting each other because they are stealing the server resources. From your point of view, I'm the selfish, and from mine you are the one that is being selfish.

Yes. If those 80 players are already having issues with lag, have 2 more some where in nirvana adding to that lag is NOT beneficial. Those 80 players are on that map following the map main objective: PvE.

The appropriate comparison would be to demand that Spvp maps have PvE sections where players can farm, causing lag for Spvp players. Let's do that shall we?

Again, I'm pretty aware that duels getting implemented have little to no chance. But atleast we can have this conversation and please try to undertand each others wants.

We are having a conversation. I'm just pointing out that you do not get to make the claim that this would have no negative effect.

• Like 1

Just now, Imba.9451 said:

The point is that things can change.

Yes, but for the health of the game not just for the sake of change.  Mounts provided a relatively new way to explore Tyria.  OW dueling probably wouldn't.  Also, why implement such a change when dueling modes already exist?  That's not really a change, in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, kharmin.7683 said:

Yes, but for the health of the game not just for the sake of change.  Mounts provided a relatively new way to explore Tyria.  OW dueling probably wouldn't.  Also, why implement such a change when dueling modes already exist?  That's not really a change, in my opinion.

The same argument can be turned around:

Things can change for the health of the game, and not just stay the same for the sake of staying the same.

Countless of people still complain about mounts, how they take away challenge from many areas of the game and how they prefer to explore without rushing on with their mount. And yet, mounts are here, most people enjoy them (even if the critiqs may have a point on a few things), and the game still exists and people enjoy it, despite the way how you explore and interact with many elements of the world has changed drastically.

1 minute ago, Obtena.7952 said:

That's a rather trivial point considering EVERYTHING can change. The question isn't IF it can change, the question is why it should. 

I agree on this, but the point made very often is that "GW2 was created with XY in mind" or "Other games have this, play those", wich simply are non arguments.

Personally, I really do not see the need for Duels. I am not interested in duels. Just some of the arguments in this threat are mind-blowingly frustative. And I don't mean the ones like "Go to private lobbies" or "Go to Guild Hall arena", because those are perfectly reasonable way to engage in 1v1, if one wishes to do so. Also, agree that demand for this feature is probably way too low for Anet to consider.

But drawing the devil on the wall goes way beyond that.

Can we stop trying to make this game into WoW...for 5 seconds? Lately all the posts have been "I want this X feature to make this game be more like WoW".

The game is fine without duels. I don't wanna be spammed with duel requests, be chased by people and then be spammed "noob" or be sweared in private messages for not accepting, like it happened in other games.

Edited by Crono.4197
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Imba.9451 said:

I agree on this, but the point made very often is that "GW2 was created with XY in mind" or "Other games have this, play those", wich simply are non arguments.

Personally, I really do not see the need for Duels. I am not interested in duels. Just some of the arguments in this threat are mind-blowingly frustative. And I don't mean the ones like "Go to private lobbies" or "Go to Guild Hall arena", because those are perfectly reasonable way to engage in 1v1, if one wishes to do so. Also, agree that demand for this feature is probably way too low for Anet to consider.

But drawing the devil on the wall goes way beyond that.

Reasonable. Personally, I think the argument against this feature is that it's not an implementation that fits in OW (story-wise). I don't see a compelling reason from the POV of the story that would make one player fight another in OW ... so why would Anet implement that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Reasonable. Personally, I think the argument against this feature is that it's not an implementation that fits in OW (story-wise). I don't see a compelling reason from the POV of the story that would make one player fight another in OW ... so why would Anet implement that?

There's dozens of hero points in the OW of npcs wanting to fight the player just "for practice"...

4 minutes ago, Crono.4197 said:

Can we stop trying to make this game into WoW...for 5 seconds? Lately all the posts have been "I want this X feature to make this game be more like WoW".

The game is fine without duels. I don't wanna be spammed with duel requests, be chased by people and then be spammed "noob" or be sweared in private messages for not accepting, like it happened in other games.

We have said throught this post dozens of ways we could prevent that. Having to unlock the ability to duel throught the gem store for example.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Naxian.9823 said:

There's dozens of hero points in the OW of npcs wanting to fight the player just "for practice"...

We have said throught this post dozens of ways we could prevent that. Having to unlock the ability to duel throught the gem store for example.

I realized during the thread that english isn't your first language.

So i try to keep it simple and short.

You are aware that this feature has no chance of being introduced.

Still you want to have a discussion about it.

On the other side you have the PvE people who don't want this feature in their game mode.

This is why they don't even talk about it. There is not just zero interest, they don't even want to start a discussion.

With that said, every week the same persons pop up a new thread about dueling,

which makes everyone super annoyed.

Best way to handle this would be to talk to your PvP buddies but leave the PvE people alone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Naxian.9823 said:

OK .. that has NOTHING to do with 1 vs. 1 PVP duels in OW. You realize that you are elaborating on MY point not yours right? Because fighting an NPC in OW IS part of the story and 1 vs. 1 duels AREN'T.

I mean, if you really want to support what I'm saying even though it contradicts your own position ... be my guest. I'm happy to oblige.

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

OK .. that has NOTHING to do with 1 vs. 1 PVP duels in OW. You realize that you are elaborating on MY point not yours right? Because fighting an NPC in OW IS part of the story and 1 vs. 1 duels AREN'T.

I mean, if you really want to support what I'm saying even though it contradicts your own position ... be my guest. I'm happy to oblige.

It's basically a "make your own story" thing. Duel because of training, because of roleplay, because of spilled milk.

I don't really see a problem with this as an explanation, considering the reasons we get to fight NPC's are pretty much the same. I dunno why they shouldn't also apply to players.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Imba.9451 said:

It's basically a "make your own story" thing. Duel because of training, because of roleplay, because of spilled milk.

I don't really see a problem with this as an explanation, considering the reasons we get to fight NPC's are pretty much the same. I dunno why they shouldn't also apply to players.

No the reasons aren't the same ... one reason is related to the story Anet created. The other reason isn't. 

So you are saying it's an RP feature. I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say that it's even more likely that RP people don't want their activities interrupted by unwanted PVP duels than the casual OW non-RP player ... but that's just my take on it. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

No the reasons aren't the same ... one reason is related to the story Anet created. The other reason isn't. 

Well, if it's traing, then the actual reasons are the same. Only difference is NPC's reason is given to them by ANet. And if Anet came along and said: Hey, new feature, you can brawl against other players because of training/roleplay-rivalry, then even that would fall away.

4 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

So you are saying it's an RP feature. I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say that it's even more likely that RP people don't want their activities interrupted by unwanted PVP duels than the casual OW non-RP player ... but that's just my take on it. 

No idea. I am not a roleplaying guy, so I wouldn't know.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Imba.9451 said:

Well, if it's traing, then the actual reasons are the same. Only difference is NPC's reason is given to them by ANet. And if Anet came along and said: Hey, new feature, you can brawl against other players because of training/roleplay-rivalry, then even that would fall away.

No idea. I am not a roleplaying guy, so I wouldn't know.

I don't see how fighting an NPC is training for PVP ... it's not even close. In fact, it's a little absurd to think fighting an NPC even comes close to what you need to know about fighting a real player, in terms of skill or knowledge. Maybe if the bot situation in PVP is so bad that it equates to fighting an NPC you have a point. 

Whether you are an RP guy or not, you are suggesting 1 vs. 1 dueling to be considered an RP feature if it's about 'making your own story'. That's what RP is ... and I'm suggesting that from an RP standpoint, this might also not be a desirable thing for that community of players. In fact, I would see this as a tool that could be used to grief my RP sessions ... not an enjoyable experience. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I don't see how fighting an NPC is training for PVP ... it's not even close. In fact, it's a little absurd to think fighting an NPC even comes close to what you need to know about fighting a real player, in terms of skill or knowledge. Maybe if the bot situation in PVP is so bad that it equates to fighting an NPC you have a point. 

You got that wrong.

We were discussing the reason why the commander fights Hero-Point NPC's around the world story-wise. And the reason usually is training, or any variation of "Hey, you really so tough? Prove it!"

And this reason could basically applied to 1v1 situation, if asked for a story reason to do 1v1: To people, soldiers, whatever, duking it out. In no way I wanted suggest that bashing an NPC's head in is in any way a training for PvP. That would be absurd.

5 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Whether you are an RP guy or not, you are suggesting 1 vs. 1 dueling to be considered an RP feature if it's about 'making your own story'. That's what RP is ... and I'm suggesting that from an RP standpoint, this might also not be a desirable thing for that community of players. In fact, I would see this as a tool that could be used to grief my RP sessions ... not an enjoyable experience. 

I do not know the reason behind RP-people. And unless you are an RP-person, you can only guess as well. And if both of us happened to be RP-persons, we could only speak for ourselves.

Regarding your argument, the opposite could also be true though: It could enhance RP session by being able to 1v1 quickly, if the other person accepts the duel invite.

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Imba.9451 said:

Regarding your argument, the opposite could also be true though: It could enhance RP session by being able to 1v1 quickly, if the other person accepts the duel invite.

You guys don't get it.

RP is already a part of the PvE world and has always been.

How difficult is it for you guys to understand that nobody wants you PvP in the PvE world.

It is really as simple as that regardless of how nicely you color dueling