Hyperaggressive map closing

Pheex.8932

1 minute ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

I guess I could write it down, but how much easier is for them behind the system to keep logs and analyze all those data sets rather than some guy on the forums saying "last Wednesday at 3PM GMT I was asked to change map 3 times in Timberline Falls."

As I mentioned, I am not intimately familiar with how the system works, I am just an outside observer, and from the outside my conclusion was that it seems like it's trying to keep too many shards open.
Why would it put me and a party member on a different shard when we go into a map? And ask us to change seconds after and still place us in different shards then only to ultimately after a manual join ask us to change yet again?
The only way this could happen is if it has too many running, the system should be more intelligent as to flag all but 1 shard to close and put everyone in there, instead it seems to be closing one (or too few) at a time and dealing those players between the others like a deck of cards only to find there are still too few and flag those to close as well, re-shuffling those players yet again.

I don't think that you need to be quite that specific; however, you managed a fair amount of detail in your previous post.  Would it have been too much to ask for the map name?  Sure the devs might be able to comb through the volumes of logs, but they may be more willing to do so if we, as players, can help hone in on the issue.   /shrug

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 6:45 PM, DaFishBob.6518 said:

Oh but this happened to me when we only had the first half of the map, therefore one meta.

Yes. Since there's a lot of time in-between first and second meta in which there's not much to do, people leave as soon as they do one meta. Which triggers map closing.

(and it works the same in-between the second and the first as well).

Edit: Oh, you mean it has been happening before second part of the map was even released? Then it is still the same - there was simply nothing to do in-between metas, and no incentive for sticking to the same map over a longer time. So, once meta started, people were just bandwagoning to the first LFG on the list.

Edited by Astralporing.1957

On 9/16/2021 at 5:50 AM, Healix.5819 said:

That's because volunteering doesn't actually mean your map is empty, it means the map(s) that overflowed to create the one you're in has enough room for everyone in your map.

Oh that's very interesting, thanks. Still kind of a pain lol. I hope it gets streamlined a tiny bit in the future. The idea of the system is great and being able to postpone it at will is fantastic. Just a bit less often would be pretty sweet.

Edited by Pheex.8932

On 9/17/2021 at 2:36 PM, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

pie charts

No one, who is the least bit competent at their job, uses these things.  No one.  The only people who use them are those who really have no clue what they're doing.

Pie charts do not give any useful information.  It is a horrid method to visually present data and it's just ... evil.  

Sorry, but I must step in and destroy any semblance of pie charts being useful wherever I can.  I hate them and every professional I know hates them as well..

Oh and, yeah map changing isn't annoying to me.  As I said earlier, it gives me more nodes to gather than I usually would have access to.

Pie charts are evil and should never be used, much less spoken of🤮 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

No one, who is the least bit competent at their job, uses these things.  No one.  The only people who use them are those who really have no clue what they're doing.

Pie charts do not give any useful information.  It is a horrid method to visually present data and it's just ... evil.  

Sorry, but I must step in and destroy any semblance of pie charts being useful wherever I can.  I hate them and every professional I know hates them as well..

Oh and, yeah map changing isn't annoying to me.  As I said earlier, it gives me more nodes to gather than I usually would have access to.

Pie charts are evil and should never be used, much less spoken of🤮 

Time management people use them a lot.

• Haha 1

I really think they miss the mark with map closing in general. I'd like to see map closing become a major event on most maps. When map closing is triggered; waypoints detonate opening rifts from the Realm of Torment and floods of creatures from there advance on the map wiping anything living out including map services. Players are giving a general creature count and remaining farming nodes available for each player. They have to clear the map before the timer runs out for higher rewards. They could even replace the farming nodes with corrupted material nodes. This wouldn't work on non-core meta maps like Auric Basin but would be a blast on core maps.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

If you'd have ever run a successful large business you know how important time management is.

I've never used pie charts with project management,  to which time management is a huge problem to solve.  There are much better ways to present information that could be understood much more meaningfully and much quicker than pie charts..  gantt charts and pert charts are far better, and there's even better ways to present information at a glance.

I just hate pie charts 😜

• Like 2
  • Confused 1