Always blame the thief?

Kuzuryu.7359

I seriously thought this is a meme until today. 

Doing 5v5, from silver 2 to gold 3, I get fair share amount blames as a thief players, basically anyone on my team can demand me to +1 to them. I always thought is more a meme because I get these blames even when steamrolling the other team or me doing 90% of the things correctly. 

Today I think I struck gold in a 2v2, my berserker is constantly dying right out of the gate and claim he's lagging (Make sense since a lot of the time he just stood there)

The he says this "I'm lagging, thief useless af" "can you do something else other than shoot?"

So why is it like this? Why do thief gets blamed for everything? As a thief main, I try to play with a thick skin, but saying this has no effect on my enjoyment of the game is lying. There are days I would hop on a support guard and people don't say anything about me even if I'm playing bad. 

• Like 2

It's probably a visibility thing. When playing as thief I need to keep an eye on every part of the map and my surroundings and have a good idea where all enemy players are when not shown on the mini-map because I have the ability to get somewhere in need quick enough to help.

Other builds that just run for the mid-fight don't need to know anything other than who dares approach them. So if they see anything go wrong (like the other team capture a point) they'll see that as a misplay on my part cause I could have done something about it, they couldn't cause [insert arbitrary reasons here]. And since the midfight can often be very chaotic they won't notice obvious misplays from people next to them.

+1 support also requires working out another player's intention and supporting that, being the 1 that gets plused requires only making your intentions obvious, not trying to sync up with the support.

You'll see similar complaints on the brain dead midfighter from anyone playing primary healer, cause the midfighter will just wander off and out of the support's field of influence.

• Like 4

On 9/29/2021 at 9:57 PM, Overworld.9613 said:

It's probably a visibility thing. When playing as thief I need to keep an eye on every part of the map and my surroundings and have a good idea where all enemy players are when not shown on the mini-map because I have the ability to get somewhere in need quick enough to help.

Other builds that just run for the mid-fight don't need to know anything other than who dares approach them. So if they see anything go wrong (like the other team capture a point) they'll see that as a misplay on my part cause I could have done something about it, they couldn't cause [insert arbitrary reasons here]. And since the midfight can often be very chaotic they won't notice obvious misplays from people next to them.

+1 support also requires working out another player's intention and supporting that, being the 1 that gets plused requires only making your intentions obvious, not trying to sync up with the support.

You'll see similar complaints on the brain dead midfighter from anyone playing primary healer, cause the midfighter will just wander off and out of the support's field of influence.

It's this.  Thief match duties and expectations are very different from those of most other team members.  A good thief tends to be taken for granted, and a bad (or simply out-played) one's errors or weaknesses are far more visible to their teammates than those of most other classes.  Thief is also often highly team dependent -- if my team is constantly wiping and losing teamfights the enemy is free to come harass me and undo my efforts, which is extremely visible to them while they wait to respawn and makes me an easy scapegoat for a loss.  A thief can keep an entire team afloat to a victory, but is forced to rely on her teammates to keep the enemy tangled up enough for her to perform.  That is the part a lot of non-thief players seem to forget.

After years of this dynamic it's also simply ingrained in many players to finger the thief as their weakest link, regardless of the match realities.

• Like 2

Happens to every decapper/roamer, thief or not. Number of times I've gone to check a point as a roamer - thief, mesmer, ranger, whatever - seen an enemy bunker or bruiser camping the point, and decided it just wasn't worth engaging, moved to another point, same thing. I'm not getting close enough to the enemy for their icon to show on the minimap, so as far as the rest of the team is concerned I'm not doing anything. Usually happens when the rest of the team is being steamrolled so badly by the enemy team that they can afford to keep watch on all of the points even if there's not an active combat on those points, especially on maps like Coliseum, Foefire, and Khylo where it's reasonably easy for one player to keep watch on both home and on one side.

Becomes a bit of a case of condemned-if-you-do, condemned-if-you-don't. If you commit to teamfights, your failure to decap is the reason the team's losing, while if you don't but the enemy has so much map control that you don't succeed at stealing any points, they'll claim that you're running around doing nothing and therefore the reason the team is losing. When nine times out of ten the problem is that they're being so outclassed on the teamfights that the enemy can afford to keep watch on all the points just in case you try to steal one, because the rest of your team just isn't putting up enough of a fight to force the enemy team to commit.

• Thanks 4

On 10/1/2021 at 12:37 AM, Grebcol.5984 said:

1. Rule

Its always the thiefs fault

Hey that's my line 😂

On 9/30/2021 at 4:46 AM, Zacchary.6183 said:

I think if all thieves just stopped showing up in pvp and wvw, perhaps our problems would get solved.

NoNoNo people will still blame us to not be there for +1.

I actually had one time a match without a thief and a guy blame "thief" to not rotate/+1 🤣

• Haha 1

Honestly, I'm like a robot every 5v5 match.

I start with "I'm going to focus on capping nodes. I will head to home first, and then to mid to support. Unless you all wipe, and then I will head to far node. I only fight if I have to and that's mostly to get the cap". 

It sounds stupid, but I took this from business, set expectations up front, under promise, and over-deliver.

Normally, I'll have the most offensive points, most kills, or most outgoing damage with 0-2 deaths. When I just roam the entire time, and take my kills as I roam, the team typically wins.

I'll straight up, show up, kill whoever needs to be killed, cap and then leave. Rinse, repeat.

I hate getting the whiny player who is like, "go far, go far, just get the decap, just decap, it's so pivotal right now. We don't need your support." Meanwhile it's that same player who gives the other team 30 points for dying so much. Then I show up and finish the kills while they are downed in mid, they rally and say "don't stay here, just roam. Thief is useless in the fight." 

I sometimes think it's a joke or maybe those players are just super stressed out when they play pvp.