I had a little too much fun with Mechanist so I made a meme PvP montage

Lethion.8745

This video made me depressed.
I mean, it is fun. And playing engi in this way is fun. But it is fun for very-very wrong reason - poor balance. And sadly - it is the only reason why it is fun.
It definitely will be fixed and nerfed to the ground. It will be balanced. But it will not be fun anymore(

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Bomboed.5697 said:

I mean, it is fun. And playing engi in this way is fun. But it is fun for very-very wrong reason - poor balance. And sadly - it is the only reason why it is fun.
It definitely will be fixed and nerfed to the ground. It will be balanced. But it will not be fun anymore(

yep, i felt exactly the same. back when grenade barrage got bugged and proced twice was also alot of fun. years ago in WvW when the siege golem bug made people crit for 20k+ was fun. When the asura racial elite golem pet hit for 40k on players was fun aswell. For the exact same reason. 

Edited by Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Good one, the sudden nyan cat "intense gameplay" killed me. ^^

I am glad you've enjoyed 🙂

10 hours ago, Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

I'll be honest, watching the pet at 2:00 try and fail to hit you or have any impact while you just kite it for 15s, then the Mech shows up and is just free casting from range, doing 10k damage in 4s to down the Ranger was pretty frustrating.

Guess I'm playing Engineer more now. :classic_biggrin:

You should definetly give it a try. It will probably be nerfed a lot tho 😄

10 hours ago, Bomboed.5697 said:

This is also part of the reason why I really wanted to make this video. I saw a lot of misinformation about Mechanist (mostly from overcomplaining Engi mains unfortunetly) like how easy it is to play around Mech and how useless you are without Mech. Sure, it will die easily if you are heading right into a teamfight or playing against very high skill level players but if a barely average player like me can do this much in somewhat average rank, imagine what a truly skilled player can do with it.

Edited by Lethion.8745
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Lethion.8745 said:

I saw a lot of misinformation about Mechanist (mostly from overcomplaining Engi mains unfortunetly) like how easy it is to play around Mech and how useless you are without Mech. Sure, it will die easily if you are heading right into a teamfight or playing against very high skill level players but if a barely average player like me can do this much in somewhat average rank, imagine what a truly skilled player can do with it.

Actually i am one of the players saying u r useless without it and it dies easily.

I am a PvE and WvW player mainly.
That said i am not talking about open world or roaming when i say that it dies easily.

The problem I mean is in WvW:
The mech gets killed in seconds in zergs. Thats a fact. Nothing more to say about here but nothing can actually solve this problem. Its AI and its with AI always like that in zerg fights.

The problem in PvE:
Fractals, raids, strikes. You know the bubbles in whisper of jormag? Or the small red aoes on the ground in fractal 99 at Arkk? They deal sooo much damage and the only way to survive it avoiding them. And they r in mass on the ground or the bubbles r massy flying around. AI gets totally destroyed by such skills.
Aoes on the ground are not rare in fractals and r the AI killer basically. And AI cant dodge or avoid them properly. AI is mostly staying on one point so if your mech one time gets into one of this things, its dust.

This is what people mean with "it dies easily". Well it is at least what I mean when I say it.
In one on one AI is really good. Thats why minionsmancer is good in wvw roaming and open world. Or why ranger is so good in open world.

Edited by SeTect.5918

3 hours ago, Lethion.8745 said:

I am glad you've enjoyed 🙂

You should definetly give it a try. It will probably be nerfed a lot tho 😄

This is also part of the reason why I really wanted to make this video. I saw a lot of misinformation about Mechanist (mostly from overcomplaining Engi mains unfortunetly) like how easy it is to play around Mech and how useless you are without Mech. Sure, it will die easily if you are heading right into a teamfight or playing against very high skill level players but if a barely average player like me can do this much in somewhat average rank, imagine what a truly skilled player can do with it.

I get what you're saying, but if it can die easily to a truly skilled player in your words. What would ever be the point in playing the spec?

It's not necessarily wrong to have a spec that has a rather low skill ceiling in comparison to other specs, though that's of course not to say that it shouldn't be balanced. But rather that saying that it's not in a good state because an average player can do a lot with it, isn't exactly right.

Edited by Xenash.1245

I think I missed the "meme" part of your video, Except from the music (which is good) and the montages. 

I see an effective spec and a pretty solid build doing what it should do, it's enjoyable to watch and makes me want to try the spec. 

You are talking about low skill ceilling, but for most of the fights, you are way better than your ennemies, they seem completely lost and react to barely nothing. 🙈

I mean, after all these failed spec with zero viability on pvp/wvw, it's good to see something capable of performing a lil bit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, SeTect.5918 said:

Actually i am one of the players saying u r useless without it and it dies easily.

I am a PvE and WvW player mainly.
That said i am not talking about open world or roaming when i say that it dies easily.

The problem I mean is in WvW:
The mech gets killed in seconds in zergs. Thats a fact. Nothing more to say about here but nothing can actually solve this problem. Its AI and its with AI always like that in zerg fights.

The problem in PvE:
Fractals, raids, strikes. You know the bubbles in whisper of jormag? Or the small red aoes on the ground in fractal 99 at Arkk? They deal sooo much damage and the only way to survive it avoiding them. And they r in mass on the ground or the bubbles r massy flying around. AI gets totally destroyed by such skills.
Aoes on the ground are not rare in fractals and r the AI killer basically. And AI cant dodge or avoid them properly. AI is mostly staying on one point so if your mech one time gets into one of this things, its dust.

This is what people mean with "it dies easily". Well it is at least what I mean when I say it.
In one on one AI is really good. Thats why minionsmancer is good in wvw roaming and open world. Or why ranger is so good in open world.

I play near only PvP so I don't have any right to talk about PvE and WvW. However, I don't need to spend hours in WvW to tell that it will die easily there. My objection was against people who make those claims for PvP and I have nothing to say against your points about PvE and WvW 🙂

4 hours ago, Xenash.1245 said:

I get what you're saying, but if it can die easily to a truly skilled player in your words. What would ever be the point in playing the spec?

It's not necessarily wrong to have a spec that has a rather low skill ceiling in comparison to other specs, though that's of course not to say that it shouldn't be balanced. But rather that saying that it's not in a good state because an average player can do a lot with it, isn't exactly right.

What I was trying to say is when talking about balance, average player should be the basis, not the elite players since they are the minority and they are elite for a reason. It's very hard to balance a class/character for all skill levels and when it's needed, prioritizing average skill level rather than high skill level is always a better choice for the player base. Of course I would rather it to be balanced for everyone but as I said, that's very hard to accomplish.

3 hours ago, The Fear.3865 said:

I think I missed the "meme" part of your video, Except from the music (which is good) and the montages. 

Not sure if this is a compliment or a criticism but thank you regardless 😄 

24 minutes ago, Lethion.8745 said:

I play near only PvP so I don't have any right to talk about PvE and WvW. However, I don't need to spend hours in WvW to tell that it will die easily there. My objection was against people who make those claims for PvP and I have nothing to say against your points about PvE and WvW 🙂

ah my bad then xD Well nice video. Enjoyed it 😛

49 minutes ago, Lethion.8745 said:

Not sure if this is a compliment or a criticism but thank you regardless 😄 

I really enjoyed the clip, it's fun to watch ! 👍

I wonder if the meme part of the video only comes from the idea some people have that mechanist spec concept is a meme. 

I saw another clip on twitch where the mechanist hold far, while his mech chase and bully two people mid, like the range of pet was just crazy it's kitten hilarious. That is the kind of meme thing about mechanist that will probably get fixed. Your video is more about mechanist gameplay after all. 

1 hour ago, Lethion.8745 said:

What I was trying to say is when talking about balance, average player should be the basis, not the elite players since they are the minority and they are elite for a reason.

I actually disagree here, the average player should be the basis when it comes to balancing in regards to PvE scenarios (with the exception of the "challenging content" aimed at the "hardcore" part of the player base). For competitive however the top players should be the standard as "the average player" doesn't even use most of its defensive tools which leads to situations where we have people complaining how a thief spamming pistol AA "has no counterplay".

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

I actually disagree here, the average player should be the basis when it comes to balancing in regards to PvE scenarios (with the exception of the "challenging content" aimed at the "hardcore" part of the player base). For competitive however the top players should be the standard as "the average player" doesn't even use most of its defensive tools which leads to situations where we have people complaining how a thief spamming pistol AA "has no counterplay".

As a Mesmer main, what you suggest would actually benefit me a lot since my class was nerfed unjustly because of its massive power difference between the skill levela and I would really happy to see developers consider above average players for PvP balance. However, I totally understand that they want to keep it servicable to majority (this is a business in the end) and unfortunetly majority finds it too hard to differ the Mesmer from its clones. I wouldn't be suprised if Mechanist shares the same fate. 

3 hours ago, The Fear.3865 said:

I really enjoyed the clip, it's fun to watch ! 👍

I wonder if the meme part of the video only comes from the idea some people have that mechanist spec concept is a meme. 

I saw another clip on twitch where the mechanist hold far, while his mech chase and bully two people mid, like the range of pet was just crazy it's kitten hilarious. That is the kind of meme thing about mechanist that will probably get fixed. Your video is more about mechanist gameplay after all. 

It was the 'funny' edits I added here and there but I guess that wasn't enough 😄 I've also killed a guy in the middle nod while capturing far in Djinn's. It was hilarious. 

Edited by Lethion.8745