Crafting disciplines

Splat.7981

Hello everyone and good morning to all :classic_smile:

As a new player to GW2 and as someone that enjoyed crafting in other games for example WoW, or even in single player games like Skyrim, how relevant is crafting in Guild Wars 2? Can you make good items, gear or weapons for your character or even to sell those at the trading post?

I'm asking this because even if i used to like WoW, crafting always felt kind of irrelevant except for potions, glyphs to name a few.

I was listening to a video yesterday about being able to craft Legendary weapons in GW2, is this true? And are they crafted through the normal crafting ways or is it another process?

These legendary weapons, are they still relevant to this day?

I have a question that is off topic, it's about the keys for the Black Lion Chests, how can obtain these keys?

P.S.: I'm loving Guild Wars 2, I'm sure that it has come a long way since 2012, but it feels refreshing as a game itself, one thing i noticed compared to WoW, for example, is that GW2 respects my time as player. 

Thank you for reading this, i wish you all a great day :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Welcome to GW2!

Yes you can craft useful items, including top tier equipment. The equipment system in this game is relatively simple, there's only 2 things which determine how good an item is: the level requirement and the rarity and there's only 6 rarity tiers; common (white), fine (blue), masterwork (green), rare (yellow), exotic (orange) and ascended/legendary (pink/purple). All items with the same rarity and level are equally good, no matter where they come from so crafted equipment is just as good as anything you can get as a drop.

Making a profit by crafting does take some research. Because it's not a big time/money sink most players will level crafting and good equipment is widely available so you can't just pick a popular stat combination and make it to sell. There are profitable items but they're less obvious and often profitable because they're time-gated or the materials are hard to get, so you'll need to put some time in.

If you want to craft equipment for yourself you can definitely do that and it's actually one of the most straight-forward ways to get ascended equipment and the only way to get many legendary items. But it probably won't be practical for a character to craft their own equipment as they're levelling up, because gathering materials and crafting gives XP so by the time you've levelled the craft up to make what they need they'll probably have levelled up too and will need something different. But you can craft stuff for your other characters, and level 80 equipment.

2 hours ago, Splat.7981 said:

I was listening to a video yesterday about being able to craft Legendary weapons in GW2, is this true? And are they crafted through the normal crafting ways or is it another process?

These legendary weapons, are they still relevant to this day?

Relevant is a bit of an understatement. Legendaries are top tier equipment (with stats equal to ascended) and have a number of special features:

• They all have unique skins and effects not available on other items.
    You can change their skin for free whenever you want.
  • You can change the stats on them and swap the upgrades for free any time you're out of combat, so they can be used for any build.
  • They go into a dedicated 'legendary armoury' in the equipment tab which means they're available to all your characters at once without having to pass them through the bank or shared inventory slots.
  • This hasn't been relevant for years but Anet have promised legendaries will always be top tier equipment.

They are crafted (although the original set of legendary weapons can be bought from the trading post) but it's a complicated process mixing multi-step crafting, using the Mystic Forge and collections which are sort-of like quests. Some people really enjoy doing it but it's a big commitment, it takes a lot of materials and time to make one. But then once you've got a legendary you basically never need another item of that type (unless you can use two at once of course), so it's worth it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Splat.7981 said:

I have a question that is off topic, it's about the keys for the Black Lion Chests, how can obtain these keys?

Buy them with gems. That's the only reliable method that is not very time consuming.

Other methods are doing map completions. Each map completion has I think a 20% chance to get you a key.

Doing the story. You get a key a key completing a story chapters at lvl 10, 40, 60 (I think) once per week. Some people will run a new character through story every week at least lvl 10 part. For me that is too boring for such measly reward.

They are a rare drop also but not something you can really farm and there are probably some other methods that I forgot.

28 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Doing the story. You get a key a key completing a story chapters at lvl 10, 40, 60 (I think) once per week. Some people will run a new character through story every week at least lvl 10 part. For me that is too boring for such measly reward.

I believe only the level-10 one is limited to once a week. There are ways to speedrun the process in under one hour, but from an efficiency point of view, it is more like devoting the resources you could otherwise earn in that time period to buying a lottery ticket.

• Like 3

It is worthwhile to level your crafting disciplines if only to access time gated materials to sell on the TP.

Legendary weapons are 100% worth getting. Gen 1 weapons can be bought on the TP. Gen 1 precursors can be bought on the TP. All precursors can be crafted, which involves several collections to unlock the requisite materials. The final craft is but throwing items into the Mystic Forge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1