I think "thumps up/down" will do more harm than good

zealex.9410

@Myrdreth.6829 said:

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:

@Myrdreth.6829 said:I wish we could see who gives us a thumps down. Some thumps down just feel like trolling. People are always so brave behind the security of the anonymousness.

sounds like reading more into it than their is and foolishly worried over noting at all even . with fake fears of worrying about something that means noting at all . but hey do not have to worry i think anet will be changing that in a few weeks or so . than no one will maybe have to be so worried or scared over noting at all

I am not scared. I just think if people are given the chance to upvote or downvote something it should show their names. On another website I am on they do that and I like it this way. People actually THINK before they just click something.

On that note I am also wishing for a list of names of the people who gave me a thumps up. I like to look them up and read their comments. Sometimes a thread is just too long for me to read everything, but I always make sure to read the comments of people that reacted to my own comment in any way.

pretty sure anet would have something to say if another web site was using their forum info . i can see that going to a good lawsuit as well on top of it all . and yes who knows they might have really read what the person was writing that they wanted to post maybe ,. yeah i do not see that happen at all . like i said i think anet would have something to say about that one as well as the good chance of a lawsuit coming from it too.

Sometimes I want to express disagreement to a comment or post without spending the time to construct some long argument that's likely to be disregarded and barely read. Sometimes someone has already said exactly what I think and me adding a response is unnecessary but I still want to be able to express my opinion.

It's fake internet points that has literally no bearing on your life. We've had at least three threads just today of people complaining about downvotes and their fear that it will be abused. Are you really so thin skinned and fragile?

Stop looking at upvotes and downvotes as anything more than what they are. Agreement or disagreement. People aren't downvoting you because they think it somehow hurts you. They are downvoting you because they disagree with you. I can understand getting frustrated by downvotes if there are no valid critical responses and you want to have a discussion on the topic. But if you present an idea and someone responds with a "this is why I think you're wrong" and you get flooded with downvotes then just take it as a sign that the community doesn't agree with you. Doesn't mean the community hates you.

Your self-confidence should not be affected by forum comments, posts, or votes.

@Myrdreth.6829 said:

@Myrdreth.6829 said:I wish we could see who gives us a thumps down. Some thumps down just feel like trolling. People are always so brave behind the security of the anonymousness.

sounds like reading more into it than their is and foolishly worried over noting at all even . with fake fears of worrying about something that means noting at all . but hey do not have to worry i think anet will be changing that in a few weeks or so . than no one will maybe have to be so worried or scared over noting at all

I am not scared. I just think if people are given the chance to upvote or downvote something it should show their names. On another website I am on they do that and I like it this way. People actually THINK before they just click something.

On that note I am also wishing for a list of names of the people who gave me a thumps up. I like to look them up and read their comments. Sometimes a thread is just too long for me to read everything, but I always make sure to read the comments of people that reacted to my own comment in any way.

pretty sure anet would have something to say if another web site was using their forum info . i can see that going to a good lawsuit as well on top of it all . and yes who knows they might have really read what the person was writing that they wanted to post maybe ,. yeah i do not see that happen at all . like i said i think anet would have something to say about that one as well as the good chance of a lawsuit coming from it too.

Aww, no! xD Sorry, you misunderstood me. The other website has NOTHING to do with anet or GW2 or whatever. It's a completly different side. But they have the thumps up/thumps down-feature for their website too and you can see who gives you negative or positive feedback. That's what I meant :)

edit: found a mistake

@Myrdreth.6829 said:

@Myrdreth.6829 said:

Aww, no! xD Sorry, you misunderstood me. The other website has NOTHING to do with anet or GW2 or whatever. It's a completly different side. But they have the thumps up/thumps down-feature for their website too and you can see who gives you negative or positive feedback. That's what I meant :)

oh i did not at all by any means what so ever misunderstood at all . and this is where i point out again i see another site leading to law suits as well as anet saying something about it .

@Myrdreth.6829 said:

@Myrdreth.6829 said:

oh i did not at all by any means what so ever misunderstood at all . and this is where i point out again i see another site leading to law suits as well as anet saying something about it .

Oh sorry, then I just don't understand what you are saying. Sorry :/ English isn't my first language :<

@Myrdreth.6829 said:

@Myrdreth.6829 said:

@Myrdreth.6829 said:

Oh sorry, then I just don't understand what you are saying. Sorry :/ English isn't my first language :<

oh ok np all good hear B) and maybe i can make it clear . lets say some one gets in their mind to do as you suggest and well anet gets wind of that . and well they did not agree to it . thus leading to a lawsuit from many partys . and so forth including anet as well as them having to come out and making their statement on it publicly . in other words anet would have a lot of egg on their face. with what your suggesting and i pretty sure they not like it .

I feel really stupid now. I still don't get your point/what you are saying.

The feature I am suggesting should be made by Anet. No one else. It's their forum and they should change whatever they feel like changing.

So...let's say they like my suggestion and make the thump ups and downs list visible...why should that cause problems? Lawsuits? With whom? I don't get it o_o

edit: oh, and the thumps down on your comment is NOT from me! Just saying ^^

@zealex.9410 said:Specifically thumps down. It can prevent ppl from giving honest meaningful feedback out of fear that they will get downvoted to kitten regardless of its true or not.

If a subject is controvesial and just doesnt sit well with a certain demographic that thread will get downvoted into oblivion.

Now, i have faith that anet will act (as they have done) against ppl that are being flat out hateful and agressive towards them or others so i believe this system wont really help or add anything meaningful.

Im saying downvotes in specific because upvotes dont really work like that. Sure if a post has alot of support will show that alot ppl thing its true but if a response of someone with a diff pov is also true that will show based on upvotes.

So yeah this is what i thin about the whole downvote system, i personally like the upvotes abd really really like the "helpful" votes.

I will end with something quite a few ppl jave pointed out and that is blizzard as well had this system and they ended up remove it. That imo shows something.

Its just showing opinion on whats said... And whats wrong with opinions? Sure, you feel like this feature may suck to have...but others think its good. Think of it as giving trophies to people who lost... (a bit harsh), but if everyone only has the option to upvote, you get no visual criticism. Sure, people will agree/disagree with what you may say, buy why shelter it...they do that in real life anyways.

Imo, this should stay. Ive seen some of the people on here that just post non-sense or threads without any meaning to them or "4 the lulz"... THAT is what is annoying.

Personally, I dont see anything wrong with the upvote/downvote system.

EDIT:Really.... S....u....c..k is blocked? What am i 6?

@Nubsauce.9821 said:

@zealex.9410 said:Idk i already regret posting this. Looking at the downvotes makes me depreseed lol.

I REALLLLY hope you're joking....

...but why would that make you feel depressed? People don't hate you or anything. They just disagree with you on one topic. Most of the people don't mean any harm. And the other few are just trolls. Most of the downvotes to your comment just mean that people think differently on that topic. (and I bet some thump downs are there because someone thought it would be funny to give you a thumps down because you don't like those). Don't take it to heart.

edit: I meant Zealex of course, not Nubsauce.

This feature is already being blatantly abused.It's turning the forums into a popularity contest and penalises people for expressing their opinions.The op is not insulting or malicious or a rant,and down voting it simply because you don't agree withthe op's view is absolutely wrong and should not even be allowed.Remove down voting,it serves no good purpose.

@Aenaos.8160 said:This feature is already being blatantly abused.It's turning the forums into a popularity contest and penalises people for expressing their opinions.The op is not insulting or malicious or a rant,and down voting it simply because you don't agree withthe op's view is absolutely wrong and should not even be allowed.Remove down voting,it serves no good purpose.

How does it Penalize? You don't get banned if you get too many downvotes. If your feelings get hurt because the number of dislikes your opinion gets, them I'm sorry, but you shouldnt be on the internet... or at least a public forum to where there are people who WILL disagree with you.

Wait what? Its The rest of the comment just kinda shot off into left field. I know the OP isnt those things. I just dont agree with him. Im sure hes a nice person in game and IRL, but eh, i just dont agree. I have nothing against the guy at all...

And then you go on to say hes wrong, but then agree to take it down? Dude...do I need to call for help? Cause wow... that was all over the place.

@Aenaos.8160 said:This feature is already being blatantly abused... penalises people for expressing their opinions... down voting it simply because you don't agree withthe op's view... it serves no good purpose.It's working as intended. The feature is to express a negative or favorable opinion of an individual post. It exists solely so a reader can click the button to say, "I agree with this" or "I disagree with this," so down voting with things you don't agree with makes 100% sense! Also, there is absolutely no visible pentalty for having your posts downvoted.

@Aenaos.8160 said:This feature is already being blatantly abused.It's turning the forums into a popularity contest and penalises people for expressing their opinions.The op is not insulting or malicious or a rant,and down voting it simply because you don't agree withthe op's view is absolutely wrong and should not even be allowed.Remove down voting,it serves no good purpose.

How is it being abused and how are you being penalized from voicing your opinion? You actually just did voice your opinion without penalty.Who's getting popular only because of thumbs up/ thumbs down? Maybe people who generally post good content or post very often are more popular? If they're anything, more people try to make better posts because they don't want thumb down.

They are not down vote, They are Thumbs up and Thumbs Down. Or like and dislike.Down/up vote is a system to vote a post down or up. This isn't what we have here. There's no way to bring a post or thread down by voting. There's only a way to quickly express agreement or disagreement without falling down to redundancy of repeating the same thing over and over in the thread.OP isn't insulting anyone. He's posting an opinion that people either like or dislike. They thumb it up if they like it or down if they dislike. Exactly like the system is made for.The OP view is still allowed and constantly bumped up to the top of the forum every time someone make a new post in the thread, independently of how many thumbs up or down he gets, because it is not a "upvote/downvote" system.

Thumbs down serve no purpose without thumbs up and thumbs up server no purpose without thumbs down. So I really hope that they either keep them both or get rid of them both.

@Haishao.6851 said:

How is it being abused and how are you being penalized from voicing your opinion? You actually just did voice your opinion without penalty.Who's getting popular only because of thumbs up/ thumbs down? Maybe people who generally post good content or post very often are more popular? If there's anything, more people try to make better posts because they don't want thumb down.

They are not down vote, They are Thumbs up and Thumbs Down. Or like and dislike.Down/up vote is a system to vote a post down or up. This isn't what we have here. There's no way to bring a post or thread down by voting. There's only a way to quickly express agreement or disagreement without falling down to redundancy of repeating the same thing over and over in the thread.OP isn't insulting anyone. He's posting an opinion that people either like or dislike. They thumb it up if they like it or down if they dislike. Exactly like the system is made for.The OP view is still allowed and constantly bumped up to the top of the forum every time someone make a new post in the thread, independently of how many thumbs up or down he gets, because it is not a "upvote/downvote" system.

Thumbs down serve no purpose without thumbs up and thumbs up server no purpose without thumbs down. So I really hope that they either keep them both or get rid of them both.

Its like "I disagree with you, but ill give you a trophy anyways because that's all I can do."

What penalty are you referring to?

Why is it absolutely wrong to disagree with the OP?

@Ashen.2907 said:

What penalty are you referring to?

Why is it absolutely wrong to disagree with the OP?

It hurts their feelings!

@zealex.9410 said:

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:given the other topic got locked due to some people getting stupid . on this topic i see not one problem with it at all. and think it should be left as is . and if people are so scared from giving honest good feed back for the reason they might be down voted is stupid . then they are worrying over noting but foolishness plain and simple . and not only that but read from that same locked topic this has some changes coming to it . and if that is true the best fix if they do feel the need for it . is to remove both up and down voting fully. noting half way or leave up voting on at all . the reason i will down vote a post is if i do not like what the post says or its a pile of salt post. but if i read a good post i will upvote it till the system is changed . so leave it as it is and live with it or take it all away for ever just that simple

Yeah but the thing is alot of ppl care about their image be it online or offline. U wont to keep that positive or negative if thats your thing and that may infuemce what u wonna say.

Not a jab at you but, you'd prefer to have a "fake online image"...a lie, than allow people to express themselves freely? Having just thumbs up is just that, it's lying to yourself that "What I'm saying is accepted by most...or at the very least not disagreed with". Also, there's no way to thumbs something down into oblivion, only a perceived popularity (emphasis on perceived) of your opinion.

@Myrdreth.6829 said:I feel really stupid now. I still don't get your point/what you are saying.

The feature I am suggesting should be made by Anet. No one else. It's their forum and they should change whatever they feel like changing.

So...let's say they like my suggestion and make the thump ups and downs list visible...why should that cause problems? Lawsuits? With whom? I don't get it o_o

please do not feel stupid at all. and now you said it that way and i get it now . well yes i am all for that fully . any thing in house is good with me as that is just where it should be in house . and not like it is as we seen how good that works out for every one already

@zealex.9410 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:I am not sure how people disagreeing with a post in a simple manner would send it to oblivion or to kitten.

At the end of the day there will be commentary for and against the post as well as people expressing agreement and disagreement regarding the OP as well as subsequent posts via a thumb option. There isnt really a significant, if any, difference between hitting a thumbs up button or typing, "I agree with this."

Ture bit the vote stays alot more than someone response on a thread. Possitive or negative.

I dont agree.

Fifty expressing vehement disagreement with an agreement with an OP says more, IMO, than fifty people just hitting thumbs up.

Whenyou click a person to see their profile for example and see a high numbers of downvotes that can infuence how u behaive around that person without havingtaken the time to see some one the points he makes be it good or bad. This behaiviour we also see in game with ppl getting blacklisted even from ppl who dont know them and only kjow them by name.

Simple. That feature should be removed, not the thumbs feature. You shouldn't be able to see someone else's allocated votes from their profile nor be able to affect their votes through the same profile page. You should have to go into the threads with an individual's posts to see how many votes they get or to thumb their posts.

@Myrdreth.6829 said:I feel really stupid now. I still don't get your point/what you are saying.

please do not feel stupid at all. and now you said it that way and i get it now . well yes i am all for that fully . any thing in house is good with me as that is just where it should be in house . and not like it is as we seen how good that works out for every one already

Phew, I am glad we understood each other at the end ^^ Stupid language barriers :D

@titje.2745 said:i mostly only upvote :D and if i dislike it then i do nothing and leave it for what it is. i dont like to downvote :) and funny posts get always an upvote :D

If I don't like an opinion I like to directly answer and explain why I think differently.

Archived