Pet leash needs to get back to the original values and be a long leash

anduriell.6280

Pet leash was nerfed some years ago  and it is extremely annoying to reach with your longbow but not being able to send your pet. 

Do please revert the nerf to the pet leash so it can go as far as needed, i remember the old days when the distance wasn't such a prevalent problem. If the ranger see the target it should be able to send the pet there.... 

The short leash is another aspect which makes the pets feel so useless in PvP or WvW. There are a so many situation where having a long leash would benefit the gameplay like leaving the pet helping an ally while attacking a side node and in the meanwhile the ranger goes to help to middle node. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'd tend to agree with the OP, most of the reasons that motivated this nerf have long disappeared (buried under new meta gameplay and specific skills rework). Sending your familiar from far away to destroy WvW siege constructs would be pretty much irrelevant nowadays and "Guard!" is now a totally different skill that can't exploit a long leash.

1 hour ago, OGDeadHead.8326 said:

I also liked the old Guard command, and would love to see that return.

You can't even begin to imagine a much I miss being able to send my pets on WvW's keep walls to wreck havock among the defender with the original "Guard!" design. Those were the best moments I had with my ranger (I can still remember vividly how my cute little eagle 2 shoted with lacerating slash this poor glassy thief that was careless and thought he was out of range... Ah... That was the good ol'days...).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Sending your familiar from far away to destroy WvW siege constructs would be pretty much irrelevant nowadays and "Guard!" is now a totally different skill that can't exploit a long leash.

I mean as long as it does not break the game like sending the pet over walls or other places which should not be able to reach otherwise, I don't see a problem of sending the pet to damage siege while the ranger is doing other stuff.
For example the ranger should be able to defend a tower lord while the pet is breaking the rams at the gate (as there is no point to have the pet at the lord with all the AoEs).
I am not talking about infinite range but it should be long enough so it does not feel like is hindering the gameplay which currently does. 

It is supposedly part of the core class mechanic to manage the companions so the class can target multiple objectives that way and nerfing that mechanic was another way of making the class to feel useless and irrelevant aside of the occasional troll build. 

2 hours ago, anduriell.6280 said:

I mean as long as it does not break the game like sending the pet over walls or other places which should not be able to reach otherwise, I don't see a problem of sending the pet to damage siege while the ranger is doing other stuff.
For example the ranger should be able to defend a tower lord while the pet is breaking the rams at the gate (as there is no point to have the pet at the lord with all the AoEs).
I am not talking about infinite range but it should be long enough so it does not feel like is hindering the gameplay which currently does. 

It is supposedly part of the core class mechanic to manage the companions so the class can target multiple objectives that way and nerfing that mechanic was another way of making the class to feel useless and irrelevant aside of the occasional troll build. 

Players in competitive modes tend to hate on the possibility of dying to AI which is one of the reason the pleas for nerf come as soon as the ranger's pet start to either good or played well. I have not even a shred of a doubt that both the Ranger's pets (due to Untamed) and the Mechanist's pets will suffer heavily in the next few years in competitive modes.

The leash was only ever relevant in competitive modes and it was nerfed, "Guard!" 's original design was nice in niche area in PvE (like the harpy fractal) but seen as kitten in WvW and nerfed due to that (it was to much for some people to be surprised by a stealthed pet), we've seen with the x-pacs pets that the competitive players always find a way to bring down a "competitive" pet by calling for a nerf (even if there are huge tells as the pets aren't known for their skill reactivity)... etc.

• Like 1

Honestly i think the F skills should be reworked to proper commands. Remove Sic'em, search and Rescue, Guard and Protect as skills and streamline them into commands.

F1 as Sic'Em on enemy targets as a replacement for the "attack my target" skill. That basically functions the same, so your pet attacks your target, moves faster and deals more damage against the target. The reveal could be added through traits.

Also F1 when targeting allies function as Rescue which revives the targeted allies. The teleport could be added via traits.

F2 as "Guard" as a replacement for "Come back to me". Basically just a ground target positioning skill that keeps your pet on position until you order it a different command. The damage reduction in the area could be added via traits.

F3 as a toggle which switches the pet from Protect (basically set to aggressive) or Hunt basically set to passive. While protect is on the pet is always out. While hunt is on the pet stows when out of combat and triggers pet swap (and repsective traits when entering combat or being revealed).

I think this would solve so many issue with ranger. The Sic'Em crutch would no longer clutter a utility slot while soulbeast pewpew one trick ponies would be less bursty. The pet positioning would be better and the pet could be stowed automatically while also giving access to new ambush strategies or counterplay.

I generally hope they will rework some of the current core ranger. The current basis is just not feasable for an e-spec foundation.

10 hours ago, InsaneQR.7412 said:

Honestly i think the F skills should be reworked to proper commands. Remove Sic'em, search and Rescue, Guard and Protect as skills and streamline them into commands.

I really like this idea, It is something new. But if I may add something that would remove most of the the build variety and not to stick well with untamed. Also  if untamed gets the Autocast possibility for their Fs I would like that to applied to Core.

Following your line of though I don't think we need to add the old shots functionality to the Fs. What do you think about this: 

* Pets are companions as such they should behave a bit more smarter than Necro minions. Current functionality change pet targets every time any skill is used, which makes very difficult to manage or request the pet to stick to an specific target while the ranger does other stuff. 
This is particularly limiting the more skill the player has. To address that this very small changes are needed: 

* Fs skills lose the re-targeting. Casting an Fx skill does not make the pet to change target if it's attacking and only instructs the pet to cast that skill in current target.  This is beneficial as it makes the pet more consistent. 

* In aggressive mode if  the pet is not already attacking (acquired a target)  it will acquire as target the first hit the ranger does. This is as not to lose functionality in PvE. 

* Once the pet has a target acquired to make the pet to switch targets the ranger will need to use Attack my Target button. That button will have the capability to make the pet to switch targets in mid combat. 

* Otherwise the pet will keep focusing over the selected target, if the enemy goes invisible or out of leash of the pet, the pet may stop attacking and come back to the ranger to continue with the attacks once the target is visible/in range again. 

* Leash when the pet is not active should be not farther as 240, as some support skills have that range. 

* This target functionality can be used also on allies, so the pet can stick to "guard" that ally. When the target is a friendly the pet will behave as the old Guard! shout,  by then the pet targeting enemies around the Friendly. Casting Fs when a friendly is targeted it will make the pet to cast those Fs skills on enemies around that friendly.  If the ranger needs the pet to leave that friendly it will need to use Attack my target! on another target or use the Return to Me! button. 

* The rest of the buttons have no change.

So as resume: Fs skills do not switch the pet targets and the target is not reset when the enemy goes invisible or out of range. 

Thus Pets with supportive skills like the Moa can be sent to "protect" a friendly and be always in range to cast those heals around the ally. 

This would also solve the issue with pets losing the target continuously when fighting thieves or trapper builds, as the pet would stop attacking while the target is invisible but it would resume as soon as it is available.  Right now the only reason a ranger has the pet in aggressive mode in PVP / WvW is because to avoid the extremely annoying and unnecessary  constant retargeting. 

I would rework current Commands to behave like actual commands and be active status effects you apply to your active pet, but there a thread around from me which explain this idea in detail. 

Edited by anduriell.6280

On 1/4/2022 at 7:58 AM, anduriell.6280 said:

Pet leash was nerfed some years ago  and it is extremely annoying to reach with your longbow but not being able to send your pet. 

Do please revert the nerf to the pet leash so it can go as far as needed, i remember the old days when the distance wasn't such a prevalent problem. If the ranger see the target it should be able to send the pet there.... 

The short leash is another aspect which makes the pets feel so useless in PvP or WvW. There are a so many situation where having a long leash would benefit the gameplay like leaving the pet helping an ally while attacking a side node and in the meanwhile the ranger goes to help to middle node. 

its funny seeing your name in other classes forum and then you are here in your main subforum and asking for buffs for pets of all things.
Pet cant leash as far as LB because rangers LB is broken and reaches further then it is supposed to.
Pets are fine, in pvp they are too strong if anything, asking for buffs to pvp pets is laughable at best.
being able to passively pressure someone with a pet at a kittening 2000 range is whats wrong with ranger, and the fact that you want it to be even longer leaves me speechless.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, FarmBotXD.1430 said:

asking for buffs to pvp pets is laughable at best

Well I mean, like 90% of them are garbage.

But anyways, pets need massively overhauled and remade more than anything. They're really dumb in this game compared to just about any other MMO for a variety of reasons that Untamed only partially deals with.

The AI is bad, sometimes you get dumpstered by a giga-brain pet and the ranger did nothing to earn it, other times they drop the ball and you're missing a significant portion of the class kit. Untamed giving you manual control over skills helps this quite a bit, but not in all situations. Other classes can do things to mitigate things like no port spots, the pet cannot.

Only a handful of families can actually hit a moving target lol. That's kinda pitiful and absolutely shouldn't happen. If you saw that in any of the other big MMOs it'd be a PR disaster, I don't know why it's not something that's been fixed here.

Edited by Shagie.7612

5 hours ago, Shagie.7612 said:

Well I mean, like 90% of them are garbage.

But anyways, pets need massively overhauled and remade more than anything. They're really dumb in this game compared to just about any other MMO for a variety of reasons that Untamed only partially deals with.

The AI is bad, sometimes you get dumpstered by a giga-brain pet and the ranger did nothing to earn it, other times they drop the ball and you're missing a significant portion of the class kit. Untamed giving you manual control over skills helps this quite a bit, but not in all situations. Other classes can do things to mitigate things like no port spots, the pet cannot.

Only a handful of families can actually hit a moving target lol. That's kinda pitiful and absolutely shouldn't happen. If you saw that in any of the other big MMOs it'd be a PR disaster, I don't know why it's not something that's been fixed here.

yes, some pets are giga bugged and dont function, that is not an excuse to make a blanket buff to all pets like OP wants

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, FarmBotXD.1430 said:

yes, some all pets are giga bugged and dont function, that is not an excuse  a reason to make a blanket buff QoL and gameplay improvement to all pets the ranger class like OP wants

Look i fixed that for you, you seem to have misspelled some words. 

However your comments sound more like a you problem, you can't deal with a pve mob and that's fine. You still can play roleplaying and fashion wars in Qeensdale. Definitely it seems pvp is causing you anxiety.  

Either way there is no reasons to keep the leash so short anymore, the bugged mechanics were addressed long time ago but anet "forgot" to undo the nerfs applied to fix them. 

It is ridiculous they keep doing this to all the professions, most importantly when those nerfs are so aggravating . As such I ask  the reversion of the changes to leash range... Untamed is coming with a focus in the pet still it is treated as trashbin mechanic. 

Edited by anduriell.6280

7 minutes ago, anduriell.6280 said:

Look i fixed that for you, you seem to have misspelled some words. 

However your comments sound more like a you problem, you can't deal with a pve mob and that's fine. You still can play roleplaying and fashion wars in Qeensdale. Definitely it seems pvp is causing you anxiety.  

Either way there is no reasons to keep the leash so short anymore, the bugged mechanics were addressed long time ago but anet "forgot" to undo the nerfs applied to fix them. 

It is ridiculous they keep doing this to all the professions, most importantly when those nerfs are so aggravating . As such I ask  the reversion of the changes to leash range... Untamed is coming with a focus in the pet still it is treated as trashbin mechanic. 

Its always funny reading these low effort jabs, even more so when I realize I am most likely better at your class then you are.
Pet leash range at least in pvp is fine, making it any longer just makes the ranger even more passive and braindead, its the last thing the class needs.
P.S
I am plat 2 ranger player, cute insult tho, missed the mark.

• Haha 2