Best Starting Pet (For endgame)

Mic.1897

So I'm considering a return to GW2 and Ranger and was looking for people's opinions on the best starter pet, as none of the options seem too useful end game.

This is not me asking best pet to start with for a new player or for leveling - this is me wondering if any of the starter pets find use in endgame be it open world, raiding, fractals etc. One example would be brown bear finds use on Dhuum I think.

Essentially I feel a bond with the first set of pixels my toon will start with, and want to make sure they don't end up permanently shelved as time goes on.

Character race does not matter.

Thanks for your time.

6 hours ago, Lome.8239 said:

I'm not asking for a pet that would be the only pet I'd use. I'm asking if there's a starter pet who doesn't eventually end up never being used.

The jungle stalker is a solid damage option from the base pets. Snow leopard is ok for damage although jungle stalker is better.

Fernhound and moas are good for healing or support builds.

None of them are meta. But all those options could be used in endgame effectively afaik.

6 hours ago, Lome.8239 said:

Race does not matter, and yes I intend to use better/meta pets.

Just looking for the best starter pet that may be used for some cases endgame, regardless of race.

they wont be, the best pets are the best for a reason, most of the pets are objectively worse then others
there is maybe 5-6 pets that you will use in pve, slightly more if you include pvp/wvw, but I dont think any of them are from the starting roster.
I THINK brown bear is actually meta pet for wvw for durids? " as others as I dont play wvw, its simply what I read "

• 1 month later...

I still use my salamander drake as my underwater companion. It's decently tanky and the AoE boiling water move it has on F2 is nice for clearing out groups of fish enemies. River drake is still solid for open world and probably the best of the drakes for PVP. It is even recommended for a few of the Metabattle SPVP builds for that sweet tail swipe damage.

The norn's wolf is also sometimes still used in PVP for that Howl F2 and the fact canines are generally useful due to their knockdown. There's stronger pets out there but taking a wolf isn't just shooting yourself in the foot like if you were trying to use a a bear or devourer.

• Like 2