Is the PC charr warband the same as Rylands?

zero.5316

Sorry if this was discussed already but i couldn't find anything but is there any relation between the players warband being steel and the steel warband Ryland is? Since Elexus Shredskin and Luccia Wildeye turn to Vishen and Ranoah which makes me think its the same warband instead of two different steel warbands

2 hours ago, zero.5316 said:

Sorry if this was discussed already but i couldn't find anything but is there any relation between the players warband being steel and the steel warband Ryland is? Since Elexus Shredskin and Luccia Wildeye turn to Vishen and Ranoah which makes me think its the same warband instead of two different steel warbands

No, the Charr PC's warband is not the same as Ryland's Steel warband.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107

Blood player character ditched the "steel" warband name after disposing of their incapable legionnaire.

Spoiler

Looks like Ryland decided to follow the footsteps of your former legionnaire, Steelbane, and got most of his warband killed.

Elexus Shredskin, Luccia Wildeye, Vishen, Ranoah. Are all different characters and Luccia isn't even blood legion.

But, going by what we can see in game, warbands can share names even ones in the same legion.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Warband#Blood_Legion

Edited by PseudoNewb.5468
  • Like 2

They're not the same warband. The defections happened because ArenaNet decided that charr PCs were incompetent legionnaires who never checked in with their warband after joining an order, despite having multiple opportunities to do so.

Regarding the Steel name: There's no blanket rule against warbands having the same name (although it's probably bad form to claim a particularly prestigious name without deserving it).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

They're not the same warband. The defections happened because ArenaNet decided that charr PCs were incompetent legionnaires who never checked in with their warband after joining an order, despite having multiple opportunities to do so.

Regarding the Steel name: There's no blanket rule against warbands having the same name (although it's probably bad form to claim a particularly prestigious name without deserving it).

I am honestly sad all but the Charr player's chosen partner stayed loyal in the end of all this. Either way I assume the Charr player's chosen partner may see his/her failure to keep the warband from defecting as a sign they should retire as a way to resolve the final part of the Charr's personal story. 

However, at the sametime Charr players are lucky atleast get to see the results of their personal story long term wise which the other race players don't get unless Anet remembers something about them.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284

7 hours ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

I am honestly sad all but the Charr player's chosen partner stayed loyal in the end of all this. Either way I assume the Charr player's chosen partner may see his/her failure to keep the warband from defecting as a sign they should retire as a way to resolve the final part of the Charr's personal story. 

However, at the sametime Charr players are lucky atleast get to see the results of their personal story long term wise which the other race players don't get unless Anet remembers something about them.

I think there's only one named character from each legion that defects. Mechanically, it's the character you DEFINITELY have from each legion, which avoids possible clashes with having named characters that might or might not have made it that far. Storywise, from memory each of them did have a justifiable reason why they'd find themselves not fitting in as the warband regrew (likely mostly recruiting from their own legion).

But yeah, while I recognise that ArenaNet doesn't have the resources to keep having callbacks to personal story, it does annoy me that they then assume that just because it didn't happen onscreen, it didn't happen. There have been times that the PC has returned to charr territories. There have been times when the High Legions have sent forces to aid the Pact, and it would make sense to include the warbands of charr Pact members when they do so in order to aid in liaison work. And the PC does have some downtime now and then.

• Like 1

I'm honestly just sad that I went through that whole story not even realizing that my warband was there and that one had defected. I have just been away from my warband for so long and this is a secondary character so I don't remember everything about her story, so when they appeared I didn't even notice. It is sad that the early story can just be forgotten like that.

4 hours ago, Narcemus.1348 said:

I'm honestly just sad that I went through that whole story not even realizing that my warband was there and that one had defected. I have just been away from my warband for so long and this is a secondary character so I don't remember everything about her story, so when they appeared I didn't even notice. It is sad that the early story can just be forgotten like that.

it is a bit of a flaw a game takes when they make multiple choices outcomes as part of the game's story. It was managable during Zhaitan Arc because the first story arc of GW2 focus on the rise of our character from a nobody to the Commander through the choices he/she made on his/her journey to fight Zhaitan. Anet had time to consider all possible choices for the Zhaitan Arc but beyond the Zhaitan Arc it will have been difficult to constantly keep track of every possible choice and adjust every single story moment based on those choice. 

Not to mention Anet did admit in the past they sometimes forget about characters. Laranthir of the Wild is probably the most notorious forgotten important character now if I remember correctly as Anet admitted they forgot about him until players began reminding them about him. 

• Like 1

There were quite a few opportunities that they sadly never capitalized on from Season 2 onwards. I honestly honestly wish that they would have had that personal choice friend (Caerys Sylvari, Warband Mate Charr, Quinn/Riot Alice/Petra/Sister/etc Human, stuff like that) would follow your character in all of the story missions.

That said, it's probably a coding issue similar to why we can't replay the 1-80 story (ANet stated that allowing that caused stability issues with the entire game/profile so they figured leave it alone until they can unravel their spaghetti code).

It would be kind of cool if we could get consumable "summon ally" stones to bring some of the personal story characters with us (not talking about Divinity's Edge or Dragon's Watch). I really liked it during Icebrood in Bjora Marches (before Raven Sanctum) where Braham follows along with your character and fights enemies, but is invisible to everyone else. That technology could be used for getting companions/henchmen into the game and tying everything back to your personal story choices

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 2:42 AM, EdwinLi.1284 said:

My warrior is a Human noble, so every time Lord Faren gets rolled out for comedic effect my personal story continues 😉

14 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

My warrior is a Human noble, so every time Lord Faren gets rolled out for comedic effect my personal story continues 😉

He is honestly the only character I think Anet even remembers from the Personal Story. Not suprising due to how he is Anet personal Joke guy for any situation they need a fool to lighten the mood. Probably going to see him again in the LW after EoD Main story or he ends up some how joining the Commander and his/her companions during EoD Main story into Cantha.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284

5 hours ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

He is honestly the only character I think Anet even remembers from the Personal Story. Not suprising due to how he is Anet personal Joke guy for any situation they need a fool to lighten the mood. Probably going to see him again in the LW after EoD Main story or he ends up some how joining the Commander and his/her companions during EoD Main story into Cantha.

No, they use lots of the people from personal stories everywhere, there are just different paths to take early game so most people are not aware that a large number of 'random' named NPCs they are talking to also have a history.

Most of the NPCs in the Verdant Brink Noble outpost are from various parts of the Human personal story. You also see a lot of Asura from the Asura personal story throughout the Zhaitan portion of the story. Charr see their personal story NPCs pop up in the Zhaitan arc as well as IBS. Lots of the Sylvari get used in the Zhaitan arc and HoT (obviously) as well.

You see a drop off of their usage in the LW seasons (except for the human portions and IBS) and PoF.

17 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

No, they use lots of the people from personal stories everywhere, there are just different paths to take early game so most people are not aware that a large number of 'random' named NPCs they are talking to also have a history.

Most of the NPCs in the Verdant Brink Noble outpost are from various parts of the Human personal story. You also see a lot of Asura from the Asura personal story throughout the Zhaitan portion of the story. Charr see their personal story NPCs pop up in the Zhaitan arc as well as IBS. Lots of the Sylvari get used in the Zhaitan arc and HoT (obviously) as well.

You see a drop off of their usage in the LW seasons (except for the human portions and IBS) and PoF.

I am talking about after Zhaitan and Mordremoth Arc. 

I am aware that NPCs from the personal story are used a lot in the Zhaitan and Mordremoth Arc as those were the days when Anet remembered a lot of the Personal Story characters. I already talked about the Zhaitan arc above already being  it uses all Personal Story NPCs and have them return is because the Zhaitan Arc was designed to take into account all of them returning since it is the first story arc in GW2 designed to show our character's rise from a nobody to the Commander and to show our choice's consequences. Mordremoth Arc still used personal story characters because these were still fresh in their minds. After those two arcs, we often see that Personal Story characters maybe often forgotten in the process.

I mentioned Laranthir of the Wild for a very good reason as he is literally the most notoriously forgotten personal story character in GW2 despite being one of the most well known character in GW2 after Mordremoth Arc by Anet as they did openly admit the reason we never heard about what happened to Laranthir until Icebrood saga though a NPC dialogue mention is because they literally forgot he existed until the player base remind them about him.

This incident has sadly prevented Laranthir from returning again and long time players have been waiting for his return.

Faren on the other hand, is the Joke guy for GW2 so his return is very often and Anet has never forgotten about him of course. Everyone loves, hates or lovehate Faren after all and at this point it will not be GW2 without Faren causing some kind of shenanigan every story arc.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284