EoD - Fishing lures are all consumables? Also, anyone have tips & tricks for fishing?

Hey there 

Whilst exploring the new expansion and trying out this fishing stuff I was having a lot of misery at first but later on whilst unlocking some masteries it went much smoother. I also founda vendor who sold me a new skin (that you can hardly see but oh well). However it felt a little confusing when I was looking at lures.

So you have lures and bait, but you can only use one? And are they all consumables? 

I checked wiki but there wasn't much information. I did see that there were several different types of lures:

Now the regular "Fishing Lure" you can buy for 1440 of Karma or 2 silver and then you get 50 of them. Those give +50 Fishing Power. I also saw stuff like shrimp that you could buy in bundles that also gives +50 Fishing Power (at least I recall it saying that).

Then I noticed that the "Amber Fishing Lure" costs 24 silver for +100 Fishing Power but it doesn't state anything else. Is this a mistake and was it also meant to say 100 lures for 24 silver? I checked the "Jade Fishing Lure" and that one apparently costs 24 silver too for +100 Fishing Power but apparently you get 100 lures for that money.

Now 50 lures for 2 silver at +50 Fishing Power (4 copper per throw) vs 100 lures for 24 silver at +100 Fishing Power (24 copper per throw) also feels a little wierd; not to mention expensive.  

What would be the best bait (yet inexpensive) to use for fishing? I'm guessing you need specific bait to catch certain specific fish but do you guys have any general tips and tricks regarding fishing for when I just want to relax and fish without it becoming too expensive or frustrating to chase that marker all over the place? 😜 

Lastly, I was wondering if there's also a 'super lure' that you can just equip and is not a consumable so that you never have to worry about attaching lures or bait to your fishing pole? 😅 

Thanks a lot for your help and my apologies if these questions have already been answered. If so, please point me to the relevant thread(s). Cheers!!

Aveneo

Edited by Aveneo.2068
formatting
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

You can get away fine with using the cheap lure if you offset it with food and masteries.

Otherwise the minimum lure i'd ever use is the Antique. Right now the market for fish is good enough that you're gonna make a profit using either, but later on you might be forced into using less quality if you're trying to optimize profits.

For bait you want to economic about where you're fishing and what you're catching and then use the type of bait that yields the most type of fish. You can use the achievement panel to see what fish require what bait, where, and when to catch them. Ex if you want to catch Halibut you'd use Shrimplings but if you look at what the unique bait is for that region it's Ramshorn Snails. So if you're just looking to roam and get unique fish in Boreal waters then Ramshorn is your best bet...However, if you're just looking to catch the widest variety then any bait will yeild more variety but less impressive quality.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TexZero.7910 said:

You can get away fine with using the cheap lure if you offset it with food and masteries.

Otherwise the minimum lure i'd ever use is the Antique. Right now the market for fish is good enough that you're gonna make a profit using either, but later on you might be forced into using less quality if you're trying to optimize profits.

For bait you want to economic about where you're fishing and what you're catching and then use the type of bait that yields the most type of fish. You can use the achievement panel to see what fish require what bait, where, and when to catch them. Ex if you want to catch Halibut you'd use Shrimplings but if you look at what the unique bait is for that region it's Ramshorn Snails. So if you're just looking to roam and get unique fish in Boreal waters then Ramshorn is your best bet...However, if you're just looking to catch the widest variety then any bait will yeild more variety but less impressive quality.

Awesome! Thanks a lot for all your help; I really appreciate it! 😃

I'll just use the Antique Lure then and supplement it with food from that permanent food item ANet gave me at some point. 😅

Then I will also keep an eye out for that Ramshorn bait to keep some on me for Boreal fish. At the moment I was basically just using up my regular lure and then switched to Shrimplings as the fisherman heart vendor sold them in bulk. 😜

Edited by Aveneo.2068

Think of them like gathering tools. It's not multiple lures you are buying. It is a single lure with a certain amount of uses before it breaks or is used up. The name is in the singular - "lure" as opposed to "lures".

1 hour ago, Aveneo.2068 said:

I checked wiki but there wasn't much information.

It's all added by the playerbase. More info is being added as it's being found. No doubt it will be as extensive as the rest of the wiki once enough time passes.

Then I noticed that the "Amber Fishing Lure" costs 24 silver for +100 Fishing Power but it doesn't state anything else. Is this a mistake and was it also meant to say 100 lures for 24 silver? I checked the "Jade Fishing Lure" and that one apparently costs 24 silver too for +100 Fishing Power but apparently you get 100 lures for that money.

Jade and Amber are functionally the same. Both have 100 fishing power and both have 100 uses.

Lastly, I was wondering if there's also a 'super lure' that you can just equip and is not a consumable so that you never have to worry about attaching lures or bait to your fishing pole?

I wouldn't be surprised if one comes out in the gem store eventually.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Aveneo.2068 said:

Then I will also keep an eye out for that Ramshorn bait to keep some on me for Boreal fish. At the moment I was basically just using up my regular lure and then switched to Shrimplings as the fisherman heart vendor sold them in bulk.

All bait has a fish that favours it. Some bait you have to buy the "bag of creepy crawlies" to get, one you have to catch (mackarel), and one you have to dismantle certain types of fish to get (fish eggs).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Aveneo.2068 said:

Awesome! Thanks a lot for all your help; I really appreciate it! 😃

I'll just use the Antique Lure then and supplement it with food from that permanent food item ANet gave me at some point. 😅

Then I will also keep an eye out for that Ramshorn bait to keep some on me for Boreal fish. At the moment I was basically just using up my regular lure and then switched to Shrimplings as the fisherman heart vendor sold them in bulk. 😜

When i said food i meant specifically fishing power food. I don't think that's selectable from any device at the moment. Ex https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Redfish_Sushi

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, TexZero.7910 said:

When i said food i meant specifically fishing power food. I don't think that's selectable from any device at the moment. Ex https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Redfish_Sushi

OH! My bad! I probably didn't read the mastery properly as I thought you just had to have eaten a food item; not that it had to be a specific food that increases your fishing. Unless the mastery was for regular food and then there's also food that increases Fishing Power even further. 

I'll have to take a close look at those Fishing Masteries tomorrow then and see if it was referring to just being well-fed or that it needed to be specific fish-related dishes. 😅

1 hour ago, Miss Lana.5276 said:

Think of them like gathering tools. It's not multiple lures you are buying. It is a single lure with a certain amount of uses before it breaks or is used up. The name is in the singular - "lure" as opposed to "lures".

It's all added by the playerbase. More info is being added as it's being found. No doubt it will be as extensive as the rest of the wiki once enough time passes.

Jade and Amber are functionally the same. Both have 100 fishing power and both have 100 uses.

I wouldn't be surprised if one comes out in the gem store eventually.

1 hour ago, Miss Lana.5276 said:

All bait has a fish that favours it. Some bait you have to buy the "bag of creepy crawlies" to get, one you have to catch (mackarel), and one you have to dismantle certain types of fish to get (fish eggs).

Ah, I see. Yeah, looking at lures as if they were gathering tools makes sense. That would also make it all the more likely that we'll get some "Everlasting Lure" item for Gems just like the permanent gathering tools. 😅

Regarding Jade and Amber being functionally the same makes sense. Someone probably forgot to add "100x" to the wiki entry. I'll see if I can include it myself if nobody has updated the Amber Lure on the wiki yet. 😉

Thanks!!

EDIT: Can't seem to edit the wiki page for the "Amber Lure" to write "100 for 24s". Maybe because I only made my account yesterday or there's functions that I don't see yet. Ah well, here's hoping that someone with more GW2Wiki experience will notice the error and change it. 🙂 

Edited by Aveneo.2068

There's food affecting fishing power? Glad I came across this. Haven't found the sushi recipe being sold so far. It's  a discovery thing as it seems. Thanks for the heads up. 
Fishing on alts will be easier then. Also I can make money in the process then by selling the food as jade bot cores sadly don't give the huge amount of gold anymore... 

OH! My bad! I probably didn't read the mastery properly as I thought you just had to have eaten a food item; not that it had to be a specific food that increases your fishing. Unless the mastery was for regular food and then there's also food that increases Fishing Power even further. 

I'll have to take a close look at those Fishing Masteries tomorrow then and see if it was referring to just being well-fed or that it needed to be specific fish-related dishes. 😅

When you use that food you get the food buff itself of +150 FP and a Unique buff called Fishing on a Full Tank which gives you an additional +100 FP assuming of course you have the mastery unlocked.

22 minutes ago, Cynder.2509 said:

There's food affecting fishing power? Glad I came across this. Haven't found the sushi recipe being sold so far. It's  a discovery thing as it seems. Thanks for the heads up. 
Fishing on alts will be easier then. Also I can make money in the process then by selling the food as jade bot cores sadly don't give the huge amount of gold anymore... 

There were a few recipes i picked up from an NPC in House Zu Heltzer

I don't honestly recall which NPC it was there though.

Edited by TexZero.7910
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TexZero.7910 said:

When you use that food you get the food buff itself of +150 FP and a Unique buff called Fishing on a Full Tank which gives you an additional +100 FP assuming of course you have the mastery unlocked.

There were a few recipes i picked up from an NPC in House Zu Heltzer

I don't honestly recall which NPC it was there though.

Ah cool. Then there's the mastery that gives you +100 and a food buff when using particular fish-related recipes for an extra +150 so you basically get both bonuses at once? That's pretty sweet. 😃

I haven't reached Echowald just yet because I'm taking it slow (and am easily distracted LOL) but I'll keep an eye out for any vendors with recipes. 
Thanks!! Now I will just have to make sure that I won't use up any fish filets that I might need for my Siege Turtle but it's nice to know that there are recipes out there specifically for fishing. 😉

This fishing is pretty cool though and brings back memories of the that time when I was fishing in WoW to get the food items I needed prior to starting a guild raid. Ofcourse fishing in WoW was a lot simpler (also more tedious) and we didn't have boats but still. 😅

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Miss Lana.5276 said:

It's added now.

Ah, cool! I couldn't fine any real info when I clicked the edit button and all it said was "== Acquisition ==
{{Sold by}}" 😅

So it's nice to see it all fixed so that people won't get a nasty surprise by thinking it's a permanent lure. That will likely come to the Gem Store for 500-800 Gems or something LOL! 😜

5 hours ago, Aveneo.2068 said:

I haven't reached Echowald just yet because I'm taking it slow (and am easily distracted LOL) but I'll keep an eye out for any vendors with recipes. 

If you're in Kaineng City there's a servitor merchant in Cobble Ward that sells the new cooking recipes. Has vendor icon on the map, says 'Merchant' when you put mouse cursor over it.

5 hours ago, Aveneo.2068 said:

This fishing is pretty cool though and brings back memories of the that time when I was fishing in WoW to get the food items I needed prior to starting a guild raid. Ofcourse fishing in WoW was a lot simpler (also more tedious) and we didn't have boats but still. 😅

I had the same nostalgia of WoW fishing, and also Ultima Online. Used to do lots of fishing for raid foods but gotta say I like it more here, in WoW it was bit too boring at times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Aveneo.2068 said:

Hey there 

Whilst exploring the new expansion and trying out this fishing stuff I was having a lot of misery at first but later on whilst unlocking some masteries it went much smoother. I also founda vendor who sold me a new skin (that you can hardly see but oh well). However it felt a little confusing when I was looking at lures.

So you have lures and bait, but you can only use one? And are they all consumables? 

I checked wiki but there wasn't much information. I did see that there were several different types of lures:

Now the regular "Fishing Lure" you can buy for 1440 of Karma or 2 silver and then you get 50 of them. Those give +50 Fishing Power. I also saw stuff like shrimp that you could buy in bundles that also gives +50 Fishing Power (at least I recall it saying that).

Now 50 lures for 2 silver at +50 Fishing Power (4 copper per throw) vs 100 lures for 24 silver at +100 Fishing Power (24 copper per throw) also feels a little wierd; not to mention expensive.  

What would be the best bait (yet inexpensive) to use for fishing? I'm guessing you need specific bait to catch certain specific fish but do you guys have any general tips and tricks regarding fishing for when I just want to relax and fish without it becoming too expensive or frustrating to chase that marker all over the place? 😜 

Lastly, I was wondering if there's also a 'super lure' that you can just equip and is not a consumable so that you never have to worry about attaching lures or bait to your fishing pole? 😅 

Thanks a lot for your help and my apologies if these questions have already been answered. If so, please point me to the relevant thread(s). Cheers!!

Aveneo

Just a bit of information: It's not 'per throw', but 'per fish caught'. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Jukhy.2431 said:

If you're in Kaineng City there's a servitor merchant in Cobble Ward that sells the new cooking recipes. Has vendor icon on the map, says 'Merchant' when you put mouse cursor over it.

I had the same nostalgia of WoW fishing, and also Ultima Online. Used to do lots of fishing for raid foods but gotta say I like it more here, in WoW it was bit too boring at times.

Oh, I think I already met that Servitor but just when I opened its inventory it malfunctioned and turned hostile. At least if that was the same one. I'll have to go an take a look again. Thanks for the tip! 🙂

Yeah, in WoW it got kinda tedious as you were just constantly staring at the water for the fish to bit. On occassion you got a lockbox though so that was nice because on our server there was always a rogue hanging out near the trading post who opened lockboxes for tips. So I usually went to him; until I made my own rogue called "Captain Cuergo" (I was amazed I could still make a character with that name) and levelled up my lockpicking as well as selling those Captain Cuergo treasure maps on the trading post. Can't believe that has been like15 or 20 years ago now; and I only played WoW for around 3 years until I got bored due to constantly running around in the same hamster-wheel chasing after the better gear. Being forced to pay monthly rent just to access the login screen didn't help matters either. Then played SWTOR but within 3 months that turned sour with forced server mergers and me losing access to names of my favorite characters so that's when I swore I'd never play a P2P game again. And then came GW2 and I've been here ever every day since early access in 2012. 😅

Compared to WoW this type of fishing feels a bit more interactive though and I kinda like the boat too (I bought that pack with the dragon boat in it as I'm a sucker for asian style stuff); although at times I am having difficulty controlling it as it seems to respond to both mouse and keyboard inputs at the same tine. But I'll get the hang of it eventually I hope. 😉

EDIT: Found the Servitor. It wasn't the one who turned hostile on me (that one was closer to the docks) but I bought all the recipes for my Chef character. Thanks!! 

Edited by Aveneo.2068
Found the recipes! ;)
  • Like 1

My only real issue with these fishing items is that they are not stackable like one time finishers are.

I really want Anet to change that so that I don't have to carry around a bunch of fishing stuff on my already bloated inventory lol

If I buy 3 standard lures just let me merge them into a single slot so rather than 3 item slots with a lure with 50 uses I have 1 item slot with a lure that has 150 uses.
At least this is kind of doable with the baits provided you keep them bundled up in Jars.

They could even repurpose the finisher system for fishing items as well.
Buy a lure as a consumable item like a finisher, consume it and it adds 50 points to the lure in your fishing tab in the hero panel.
Same thing for baits, consumable items that adds uses to the hero panel, exactly like how finishers work when you get them from halloween bags etc.
I've got thousands of those stacked up in my finisher tab, would love if fishing supplies worked the same way.

Another QOL upgrade I would love as well (if the above changes are not made) is if I have spare fishing items in my inventory to the ones I am currently using on my rod and the ones on my rod run out, then the ones in my inventory should auto equip on the rod.
It's a small thing I know but it would be so nice to not have to go into my inventory and do it manually.

Edited by Teratus.2859
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Teratus.2859 said:

My only real issue with these fishing items is that they are not stackable like one time finishers are.

I really want Anet to change that so that I don't have to carry around a bunch of fishing stuff on my already bloated inventory lol

If I buy 3 standard lures just let me merge them into a single slot so rather than 3 item slots with a lure with 50 uses I have 1 item slot with a lure that has 150 uses.
At least this is kind of doable with the baits provided you keep them bundled up in Jars.

Buy a lure as a consumable item like a finisher, consume it and it adds 50 points to the lure in your fishing tab in the hero panel.
Same thing for baits, consumable items that adds uses to the hero panel, exactly like how finishers work when you get them from halloween bags etc.
I've got thousands of those stacked up in my finisher tab, would love if fishing supplies worked the same way.

Another QOL upgrade I would love as well (if the above changes are not made) is if I have spare fishing items in my inventory to the ones I am currently using on my rod and the ones on my rod run out, then the ones in my inventory should auto equip on the rod.
It's a small thing I know but it would be so nice to not have to go into my inventory and do it manually.

Hmmm, I think you bring up a valid point and it would be nice if lures or bait of the same kind would stack. Now I haven't really done much fishing myself but when I clicked on my 22 shrimp bait in my inventory it added them to the fishing pole but unequipped the 17 shrimp I had. 😅

So it would be nice if they stack so that you're not running around with a full bag of tiny stacks of bait.
'Consuming' them so they end up as charges in a separate panel would also be nice; kinda like how they do currency or finisher charges.

Like you I also have thousands of those single-use Halloween finisher charges so it would be a very nice QoL change if ANet could make a fishing tab where we can just add our lures and bait so that we can select them from there.

They have the same type of system for the Guild Hall where all our decorations are in a separate tab. If we don't own any then the icon is greyed out but if we do it is colored in and we see how many of that decoration we can use. Perhapd ANet could do something similar with the bait and lures where clicking on that litte fishing/boat icon we can also select a bait/lure menu with images of the bait and lures we own so we can click on one which will then get added to our fishing pole. 😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Teratus.2859 said:

This is the exact same with gathering tools, which is why I think that they're going to release some sort of infinite lure in the gem store eventually.

10 hours ago, Teratus.2859 said:

The problem with this is
- The finishers are one use, where the lures are multiple
- Lures have 3 different fishing power values

Instead, I think what we need is a tackle bag section introduced somewhere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Miss Lana.5276 said:

This is the exact same with gathering tools, which is why I think that they're going to release some sort of infinite lure in the gem store eventually.

I also suspect they will be doing this at some point as well.

The problem with this is
- The finishers are one use, where the lures are multiple
- Lures have 3 different fishing power values

These are not problems at all really.
You can have tons of different finishers in the hero panel, even ones with charges.
I have 5 charge based finishers, the two halloween ones, the two wintersday ones and some golden Dolyak trophy one I got years ago because my server placed 1st in a WvW tournament or something.

All 3 lures would work the same way, you buy more and consume them to add charges to them in the hero panel.

Instead, I think what we need is a tackle bag section introduced somewhere.

That's pretty much the idea.
Though instead of a new bag or something it would be done utilizing features that already exist in the hero panel.

Another thing that would also be really convenient about using the hero panel like this is that every Fishing Rod Skin, Lure and Bait that you "consume" to add charges to the hero panel would make them accessible to every character on your account, not just the character you bought them on, so you wouldn't need to transfer them around through shared inventory slots or bank spaces.

Edited by Teratus.2859
  • Like 2