[Spoilers?] Nambich - Garden of Lyssa PoI in New Kaineng

Zola.6197

Not sure this is worth pointing out, but I thought it was interesting enough to bring up.

There's a point of interest called Garden of Lyssa in New Kaineng, and there's an NPC there named Nambich.

As you approach she says, "Lyssa, if you're even listening... Do you know what it's like to be in love? I do, I think..."

Pretty normal, nothing to write home about. The odd thing about Nambich though is that her appearance has been different every time I've visited the PoI. I've been about 4 or 5 times while running through the map (sometimes on different characters, sometimes not), and her appearance seems randomized. Sometimes she's darker skinned, she wears different clothes, has a different hair style or hair color, though it's the same voice and dialogue each time. Nambich kneels before the tree and also waggles her finger every so often like she's disagreeing with someone. I simply find it intriguing there's "shapeshifting" NPC at a place dedicated to Lyssa.

Could be meaningless/unintentional, or just a minor easter egg the devs included. I suppose the quote could work as some additional foreshadowing about the nature Lyssa's relationship with Balthazar?

The "garden" itself is just a cherry tree with a smattering of grass and flowers beneath it. It's actually quite striking to come upon after exploring the industrial New Kaineng. Check it out if you're ever in the area!

Edited by Zola.6197
updated with the exact quote
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zola.6197 said:

Not sure this is worth pointing out, but I thought it was interesting enough to bring up.

There's a point of interest called Garden of Lyssa in New Kaineng, and there's an NPC there named Nambich.

As you approach she says, "Lyssa, if you're even listening... Do you know what it's like to be in love? I do, I think..."

Pretty normal, nothing to write home about.

Especially given Lyssa is the goddess of love and marriage.

The odd thing about Nambich though is that her appearance has been different every time I've visited the PoI. I've been about 4 or 5 times while running through the map (sometimes on different characters, sometimes not), and her appearance seems randomized. Sometimes she's darker skinned, she wears different clothes, has a different hair style or hair color, though it's the same voice and dialogue each time.

This is standard across the game. Wiki will usually mark an NPC with a "This NPC's appearance may change randomly." because many minor NPCs do. Usually this is reserved for generically named NPCs, but sometimes uniquely named NPCs - like Phil Thackeray - will change appearances. These NPCs share generic models wit hthe generic NPCs that get swapped about, so it's likely something tied with the model assignment or perhaps these were made by copying the generic NPCs then altering the name but not randomized model parameter.

There is nothing unique or special about this solely mechanical thing.

Voice lines are not randomized, however, and will remain unchanged despite model appearance. This can sometimes result in oddities where an NPC uses the wrong race, gender, or organization lines.

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086

I put the changing down to the randomisation that occurs for generic npcs.
There's a receptionist outside one of the ministry's whose named who noted looks different everytime I see her.
However there is a lot of Lyssa foreshadowing going on in this expansion, so assuming that's going to be relevant soon.

Tbf if it isn’t intentional there’s no reason why it cannot be made intentional going forward. 

Agree with others here, generally reckon this may lead to a six or “mist deities” expansion. E.g. Lyssa is rumoured to favour Balthazar. A great spot anyway OP.

2 hours ago, Pyriel.4370 said:

Tbf if it isn’t intentional there’s no reason why it cannot be made intentional going forward.

The problem with this is that the randomisation happens with the majority of NPCs in the game. Sure, most of them are unnamed NPCs, but if the changing appearance was to become intentional in this case, it would have to either be considered intentional for all other named NPCs as well, or they'd have to go back and make sure all other named NPCs no longer are randomised.

1 hour ago, SunRoamer.5103 said:

The problem with this is that the randomisation happens with the majority of NPCs in the game. Sure, most of them are unnamed NPCs, but if the changing appearance was to become intentional in this case, it would have to either be considered intentional for all other named NPCs as well, or they'd have to go back and make sure all other named NPCs no longer are randomised.

I meant more that they could make the npc still change form but program in specified forms. Perhaps even at rare times of day have it show a Mesmer illusion shatter graphic but low key between forms. Over time then add more and more to the dialogue such as “My love is lost to me, misunderstood and misguided…”

just spit balling though.

On 3/13/2022 at 5:38 AM, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Especially given Lyssa is the goddess of love and marriage.

This is standard across the game. Wiki will usually mark an NPC with a "This NPC's appearance may change randomly." because many minor NPCs do. Usually this is reserved for generically named NPCs, but sometimes uniquely named NPCs - like Phil Thackeray - will change appearances. These NPCs share generic models wit hthe generic NPCs that get swapped about, so it's likely something tied with the model assignment or perhaps these were made by copying the generic NPCs then altering the name but not randomized model parameter.

There is nothing unique or special about this solely mechanical thing.

Voice lines are not randomized, however, and will remain unchanged despite model appearance. This can sometimes result in oddities where an NPC uses the wrong race, gender, or organization lines.

The mention of Lyssa being the goddess of love and marriage reminded me, do we have for certain the knowledge of who was the "mutual friend" of the girl who gave you flowers outside of Marjory and Kasmeer's place during the epilogue? At first I thought of Shining blades, then Jennah, then E, then I dunno lol. But it could tie into Lyssa as well with that as a reference. I also don't believe it's there for no reason because it specifically gives an achievement that is part of the Act V mastery - so there's really reason for you to go out of your way for it (even if going out of your way just 2 steps...).

Edited by maxwelgm.4315

13 hours ago, maxwelgm.4315 said:

The mention of Lyssa being the goddess of love and marriage reminded me, do we have for certain the knowledge of who was the "mutual friend" of the girl who gave you flowers outside of Marjory and Kasmeer's place during the epilogue? At first I thought of Shining blades, then Jennah, then E, then I dunno lol. But it could tie into Lyssa as well with that as a reference. I also don't believe it's there for no reason because it specifically gives an achievement that is part of the Act V mastery - so there's really reason for you to go out of your way for it (even if going out of your way just 2 steps...).

As far as I know, we don't know who the friend is, but I figured it'd be E, given E had interest in Marjory and Kasmeer.

I see the flower girl being E's way of paying respects to the obviously proposing couple, since Marjory and E got introduced at the same time and has more or less been part of the duo's story throughout S1, S2, and even S3.

I don't see any relation to Lyssa there. That feels like grasping at straws. For starters, why would Lyssa even get involved there?

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Bast.7253 said:

Went looking for this today and didn't realize there was a poi leading me to it. I'd been there before but just wanted to take another look. 

Apparently Nambich is the Korean word for indigo? I thought that was neat.

Nice to know. 

Yeah, purple/indigo/violet/fuchsia, purpleish tones, etc are Lyssa related colors, but a note "indigo" is special for a more mix of blue, so it can be a translation issue.

• 2 months later...

As I was hunting for hero points in Kaineng, I decided to stop by this PoI again and I discovered Nambich had new dialogue! Or, at the very least, I had previously only heard one options on several trips to the Garden of Lyssa. They're both on the PoI's wiki page so they're probably not new, but I still found it exciting to hear something new to me. Heard these lines on separate trips with different characters:

Nambich: Dear Lyssa, I heard about what happened to Balthazar. To see a god with my own two eyes... How exciting.
Nambich: Lyssa! I met a charr the other day. I'd read about them before, what happened in Ascalon... He was very kind.