Mechanist is currently destroying the game. Please consider adjusting it ASAP.

Shiyo.3578

7 hours ago, Atticus.7194 said:

Not taking into consideration other players bias towards any specs outside of "meta specs" it's super frustrating and fun killing to want to play a spec that you like the complexity of and constantly be questioned about the possible effectiveness of your choices given the overwhelming crushing preponderance a brain dead but effective spec that players know is going to be decent as it actually takes 1 button to play. 

In a perfect world with a perfect world everyone would let actions spec louder than stigma but that's not reality most players just want the safe route they know is going to provide the highest chance of just getting content done and right now that is power rifle mech smothering any build diversity. 

People just have to be reasonable and honest with themselves about what they choose to play. If people choose mech because 'safe', that's their decision. That doesn't affect your choice to play something else for some other reason. If that makes you feel bad, that's not something Anet needs to fix for you. 

If you are 'constantly questioned' about your choices ... I question what choices you are making to put yourself in that situation in the first place.

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

On 9/12/2022 at 9:42 AM, Wolfshade.9251 said:

And I hate seeing my favourite raiding class reduced to the complexity of an afk farming build. Back in the day engineer actually required skill to play and that's what made me love it in the first place.

You can still do that. Some of us enjoy the break from playing piano. I hate seeing my profession that was the least played for several expansions getting treated like garbage by most of the player base because they're popular now, but here we are.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

On 9/13/2022 at 4:17 AM, Obtena.7952 said:

If that's what you want, you can still play it that way. There are still builds that require skill to play on engi. People need to stop pretending that they are pre-destined to play mech and somehow that is as a reason to change it ... because that's obviously not real. Use your choices. 

I play pdps scrapper instead of mechanist. Despite knowing that even if I max out my benchmark, I'll still do just 91% of the mechanist damage. The fact that mechanists play a 1200 range spec while pressing 111 and are often the top of the DPS chart is not healthy for the meta. By all means, play the game as you like, but complexity of play should yield rewards. Knock it down to 25k-29k benchmark - it will improve the class diversity in endgame drastically.

• Like 5
  • Confused 4

On 9/13/2022 at 6:07 PM, Okhu.7948 said:

You can still do that. Some of us enjoy the break from playing piano. I hate seeing my profession that was the least played for several expansions getting treated like garbage by most of the player base because they're popular now, but here we are.

Theissue isn't that it's engineer. The issue is that you could play it with both hands tied behind your back, smashing your head on the keyboard and still somehow top DPS charts in mid-kp pugs. The issue is that mechanists make up over 32% of player specs in raids. The issue is that this build does dominates on every single raid encounter. It clearly need to be knocked down a bit.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Wolfshade.9251 said:

I play pdps scrapper instead of mechanist. Despite knowing that even if I max out my benchmark, I'll still do just 91% of the mechanist damage. The fact that mechanists play a 1200 range spec while pressing 111 and are often the top of the DPS chart is not healthy for the meta. By all means, play the game as you like, but complexity of play should yield rewards. Knock it down to 25k-29k benchmark - it will improve the class diversity in endgame drastically.

But complexity of play DOES yield rewards because that option IS there ... for you if you choose it. I mean, this is my problem. Why do YOU get the choice to play so gameplay complexity rewards you but you don't think other people should get the option that allows them to focus on the encounter instead of complex gameplay to reward them?

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Confused 8

For me, Mechanist is simply too efficient. I don't think the class needs nerfed, or anything, but I think the rest of the classes need to catch up. My main is a necromancer. I loved playing Reaper during HoT, Scourge during PoF, and now Harbinger during EoD. I have one of every profession, and Engineer was always the least played class for me - until the rifle update for the Mechanist. The playstyle is just so streamlined that I can plow through content without breaking a sweat. I finished up a Legendary for my Necro that I always wanted, played a week with it, and then...back to Mechanist. The Tower of Nightmares really highlighted this for me recently. Took my Harbinger in there. It did fine and was a typical play experience. If I had nothing better to compare it to, I'd be set. Then, I took the Mechanist through, and night/day difference. I just obliterated everything without a care in the world. Everything just felt easier. Hell, if my Necro minions were as efficient as the Jade Mech, I'd be inclined to stick with Necro and utilize a build with those. I'm sure other pet classes would be appreciative, too. 

*edit* Just wanted to add the following awesomeness. 😄 

Took both a necro Harbinger/Minion build that I use when I want to fight bounties, champs, etc., solo and Machinst selfish solo build I use for the same scenario into the Areodome for Golem comparisons.

Other than a single shot by the Harbinger to get the mongrels to attack, the DPS difference between the two was nuts.

Minions - 1.5-1.8k

Jade Mech- 5-6k

So, yeah...just in damage alone, if the minions were bumped up in damage output, it wouldn't be such a dismal comparison. I know the minions each have a different flavor of additional ability, but maybe up them to combine out at 3-4k, at least. The flavors aren't exactly that great. haha. 

Edited by Djevel.5062
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Wolfshade.9251 said:

Being 10k below scourge is excessive. Core engi is roughtly ~33k right now, so achieving this would require the mech deal virtually zero damage despite hte player investing an entire traitline worth of DPS traits and sacrificing their class mechanic for it. 

No pure dps should be smiter's booned to that extent regardless of how easy. Mech being 25k is not justifiable when Scourge, Virtuoso, and Specter exist in their current state.

35k for nade version (equal with condi scourge) and 33k for throw mine version  is more than enough to allow other builds to shine over it. These numbers both realistically go down in 5 man content and below since there should be fewer unique condis on the boss, and stacking them will lead to a lower benchmark for all mechs involved due to a lack of unique condis.

However this should be paired with buffs to underperfomers like Reaper, holo, and power daredevil and a reassessment on ele's meta defining nerfs as well as some much needed tweaks and QoL buffs because a lot of the recent changes classes have gotten have been positive, but have still missed the mark. 

Using ele as an example, Tempest has too many trade-offs, Cata's empowered empowerment and energy mechanic should be less restrictive. 

33k is the absolute lowest a pure selfish dps build should go under ideal circumstances (perfect rotation, boons, uptime, all modifiers active, and condis on boss.). Unless damage is reduced across the board. 

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Kuma.1503 said:

Being 10k below scourge is excessive. Core engi is roughtly ~33k right now, so achieving this would require the mech deal virtually zero damage despite hte player investing an entire traitline worth of DPS traits and sacrificing their class mechanic for it. 

No pure dps should be smiter's booned to that extent regardless of how easy. Mech being 25k is not justifiable when Scourge, Virtuoso, and Specter exist in their current state.

35k for nade version (equal with condi scourge) and 33k for throw mine version  is more than enough to allow other builds to shine over it. These numbers both realistically go down in 5 man content and below since there should be fewer unique condis on the boss, and stacking them will lead to a lower benchmark for all mechs involved due to a lack of unique condis.

However this should be paired with buffs to underperfomers like Reaper, holo, and power daredevil and a reassessment on ele's meta defining nerfs as well as some much needed tweaks and QoL buffs because a lot of the recent changes classes have gotten have been positive, but have still missed the mark. 

Using ele as an example, Tempest has too many trade-offs, Cata's empowered empowerment and energy mechanic should be less restrictive. 

33k is the absolute lowest a pure selfish dps build should go under ideal circumstances (perfect rotation, boons, uptime, all modifiers active, and condis on boss.). Unless damage is reduced across the board. 

Maybe comparing Mech to Reaper would be more accurate then, as it also is another selfish-dps, easy to play, build. Except reaper doesn't have a 1200 range, and a pet that deals a considerable amount of damage. 33k would be a start, but personally I'd keep slashing its damage until mech is down to 10% of raid group composition. I mean, compare 33k while barely anything, with most of your damage coming from an overpowered pet and ranged autoattack to every other option. If mech doed 33k at a distance then reaper should be 35k as a meelee spec with a burst window limited to just after entering shroud. 

I'm in favour of hacking down scourge too, so that condi harbinger can shine (it's only 3.3k higher bench despite going glass cannon). Knock down condi virtuoso too, why not. Nothing that runs that many signets should do that much damage.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2