SPOON's school for commie on DE's meta

Currently, lot of the squads aiming to kill Soo-Wong ask for irrelevant tokens such as raid killing proof.
We can blame the commanders acting selfishly, or we can become a commie acting in a most open way.
Let's share how we lead casuals to a victory, and make ridiculous the Dhuum's KP requirement.

1. Setting your squad with a welcome message as squad description :

Welcome and have fun 😃
    Please consider playing a boon support class. Make me aware on squad chat for subgroup construction.
    Optimal is 10 quick players for a whole squad.
    Let's make the map ready for a SPOON victory !

2. Setting LFG :
    Don't ask for specific roles
    , include the server ip (commande /ip)
  3. Do the events and make public explanation, be a leader show the example.
  4. Setting your squad for fight once the map is ready :
    1. Update squad description :

No mount at start
      Every 20% refill EMP & kill THORNHEARTS
      CC
      Tail grants boss damage reduction
      Green Whisp Legit Strat
      Champion Sync @20% use springer
      Split@60% : 1-5 East + 6-10 West
      Split@20% : 1-3 N-West + 4-6 N-East + 7-9 South + 10 SOS

2. Set subgroups by asking for boon support class :
      Heal is not needed, alac is great, but you must get quick on all subgroups.
      If you lack of quick boon support, ask (nicely) to firebrand and harbinger from squad to use a specific build.
      Quickbrand (SC) [&DQEQGi4fPjZLFwAATAEAABUXAAB6FgAAiRIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=]
      QuickHarbinger (SC) [&DQEQGi4fPjZLFwAATAEAABUXAAB6FgAAiRIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=]
      Players on squad will explain how to play those classes.
    3. In my split strategy, i set in sub 10 experienced players able to help during champion split the slower side.
  5. Make a full explanation of the fight on map chat :
    Everyone going to fight alongside yourself must know the mechanic for the higher chance of victory, so play with em 🙂
    My explanations :

The endboss will have transition phases every 20%, "greens & whisps" (@80% @40%) and champions split (@60% @20%)
    During the green and whisps transition phase, some player will be randomly turned into whisps, your whisp's job is to jump back to us
    you get a 6 Jump Pool you can regenerate upon collecting orbs
    Success as a whisps reward you a mastery point
    Success fromm all whisps make the fight resume earlier and it is great
    While whisp are busy jumping, the job for other players is to kill waves of mobs
    Among Mobs, we may encounter THORNHEARTS
    THORNHEART is ABSOLUTE absolutely priority over everything else, kill em
    THORNHEARTS are able to perma stun a whole squad
    (John Lennon's murderer was a THORNHEART)
    Now about Champion Split @60% @20%, we need to split and kill all champ same time
    Synchronize on 20% life and start fight on springer for CC
    When we get back from split, focus thornhearts, they may spawn during this transition phase
    About the main fight, we need to CC, EMP helps a lot
    Refresh EMP as often as possible
    Tail grants protection to boss, destroy it
    Dodge attacks from boss or die
    Dead, use WP AND Jump Pad (heartmark i will set)
    To summarize :
    THORNHEARTS > Refill EMP > CC > TAIL
    FOR THE SPOON !!!

I do not include specific call as "GREED" when you miss 1% to phase Soo-Wong while tail is up, let's keep things as simple as possible.

6. Prepare orders for fight :

@WHISPS : Jump JUmP jUmp uP UP Up back to us
    THORNHEARTS
    Refresh EMP
    TAIL
    Sync @20%
    ON RETURN FOCUS THORNHEARTS AND REFILL EMP

From the moment you set squad to the the moment you finish the fight, make sure noone acts in an agressive way, we're here to play a game and share a funny time.

I wish to see more casual friendly squad open and know how other commies lead their sqaud toward victory, let's share informations 😄

• Like 8
  • Thanks 10

2 hours ago, Oikodomos.7102 said:
  1. Setting LFG :
    Don't ask for specific roles
    , include the server ip (commande /ip)
  2. Do the events and make public explanation, be a leader show the example.
  3. Setting your squad for fight once the map is ready :
    1. Update squad description :
    2. Set subgroups by asking for boon support class :
      Heal is not needed, alac is great, but you must get quick on all subgroups.
      If you lack of quick boon support, ask (nicely) to firebrand and harbinger from squad to use a specific build.
      Quickbrand (SC) [&DQEQGi4fPjZLFwAATAEAABUXAAB6FgAAiRIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=]
      QuickHarbinger (SC) [&DQEQGi4fPjZLFwAATAEAABUXAAB6FgAAiRIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=]
      Players on squad will explain how to play those classes.

i'm curious... what's your success rate doing this?

not asking for roles makes your group a lottery of whether you get enough support or not

then asking afterwards for people to support, when they cant anyway without the proper gear... if they had the gear they probably wouldnt need asking

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

7/8 win rate for the past week.
if you use battery for offensive and defensive protocol, a consistent fraction of boons is already provided, half support players gives the extra boon that will make the difference.
let's not forget that the "casual" player has a brain and the will to finish the meta, talk to their intelligence is a winning bet.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Oikodomos.7102 said:

7/8 win rate for the past week.
if you use battery for offensive and defensive protocol, a consistent fraction of boons is already provided, half support players gives the extra boon that will make the difference.
let's not forget that the "casual" player has a brain and the will to finish the meta, talk to their intelligence is a winning bet.

were these 7/8 done by joining groups 2hr in advance or 1hr?

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

I agree with all of this, but I'd also suggest having a few people besides the commander who can answer questions and help players make a build if necessary. I've encountered a lot of people who don't know what support means in GW2 (often thinking it's just another name for a dedicated healer and something only specific professions can do) so it helps to have someone who can tell them the kind of things to look for in skill descriptions, or even recommend specific skills if possible. Likewise having people who can explain terms like CC, EMP, that 'tail' literally means there's a phase where you have to attack the tail etc. and can repeat instructions at that point in the fight so people who have never done it before know what to do even if they don't recognise it from the description at the start. That's a lot for one person to cover, especially if it means whispering individual players, so I think it's a lot better if the responsibility can be shared between a few people.

• Like 2

Nice guide!  I especially like the condemning of asking for kill proofs .....it's an OW meta, a long and more complex one in some ways, but people should not be locked out because they don't raid...I've seen this in LFG several times and it made me scratch my head.

It helps if people come in with the mindset of hey this is going to take a while, stop asking are we there yet, and hopefully a build they are comfortable with that works well for surviving some of it.  They didn't like Drizzlewood Coast and how long it took either originally. 

I happened to find one of these groups this week, my first time doing the meta....wanted to do it before I finished the story for an achievement.  It was great fun, commander was patient and good at reminding people for what target to focus on.  Hopefully as people become more familiar with it, the meta will become easier.  In the meantime, thanks for guides and for the comms out there putting together groups.  You need some love too!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I think asking for raid kill proof is misleading. I tried using my raid build for the meta once and I think it was actually worse than using my normal open-world build.

I did end up making several changes to my open-world build for this event, because I play a ranger and normally use several traps but they're not much use against bosses because they often don't trigger them, so I swapped them for spirits (which are very useful in groups) and then had to change some traits as well to fit the new skills. But it's nothing like what I do in raids.

• Like 2

Hey all i just want to shout out that i encountered a group using this system last night when i was on engi doing story. The com was a nice guy, no demanding beside politely asking if there are any Alac/Quick within the group they are very welcome, Nicely gave out instructions which made alot of us in group, including me and my friends felt comfortable, everyone gladly helped out, absolute no yelling in an entire run. The map was 1hr and 20m til meta and few of us weren't able to get in but everyone on the map still keep a friendly enviroment kindly asked if there are anyone isn't doing the meta please switch map so we can get our members in, it worked. To be clear this is a pug with no discord and only with organized sub setup with everyone being friendly and to my surprise it was the first time i beat soo-won with 4m timer left. 

I've said in many of my comments before that i will not go back to DE but after this i actually want to do more as long as this type of friendly behavior is around i'm happy to spend my little time to play after work done, its a good way to end a tiresome day.

• Like 7

On 3/22/2022 at 5:55 AM, Peterson.5172 said:

i'm curious... what's your success rate doing this?

not asking for roles makes your group a lottery of whether you get enough support or not

then asking afterwards for people to support, when they cant anyway without the proper gear... if they had the gear they probably wouldnt need asking

My guild do it sucessfull everyday and don't ask for roles except ppl with alac and guardians to use the Stab skill(i forget the name). Then organized subgroups for each alac spammer.

But sometimes i have seen ppl asking for strict roles even in Shiverpeak Pass Strike, so is probably the toxic elitists over-zealots still will appear in meta DE too.

This meta don't require WvW level organization, is basically just about stack map/jade boons.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416