Where is GW2 Battle royale?

Riba.3271

So how it would work: 1, 2 or 5(4?) man queues.

Minstrel, trailblazer, PvE cele etc. stats wouldn't be available: 85% of all stats come from looted amulet(s), 15% from weapon.

Start

You parachute on complex map with your class choice. There would be quite a lot of verticality and variance on the map.

Looting

You can loot traitlines (randomized traits), skills, ascended amulets (randomized stats 85%) and exotic weapons (randomized stats 15%).  You will almost never end up with perfect build. There would most likely a few PvE mob spawn spots to kill for increased loot (but you can't handle them without finding weapon first of course).

Elite specs, legendary amulets and legendary weapons would spawn in parachuted crates. Traits are still randomized. Weapon would always take equippable form by looter.

Killing enemy player drops all weapons, skills and traitlines they have in their inventory, traits and skills randomized to your class.

Map would have loot hotspots to expect lot of teams to land there

If "more build variety" is desirable by playerbase, increasing amounts of amulets equippable is possible (as if in sPvP your amulet was split in 2 and you could choose 2 different or 2 same stats)

Sidenote: If you aren't aware, legendary weapons/amulets provide choice of stats and legendary weapons have 5% increased power damage compared to exotic ones.

How it plays out

30 min match and it starts by having certain amount of node available (less than starting teams). 2 min landing period. After 5 minutes everyone who doesn't own a node is eliminated. After that there is 5 minute period you don't need to own a node. Amount of nodes available and map size is less again. This goes on until there are only 4 nodes left and after that is ring without a node. Last team alive wins in this shrinking circle. It is somewhat random where the next circle lands.

Dying

If you die fully, you can spectate your party and they can revive you. If whole party dies, you are eliminated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I have been thinking about this for like the last year and I think it's such an awesome idea.

I think it would take a few betas to iron out for sure, and a lot of development time. But I really think that being one of the few (only?) MMOs with a fleshed out Battle Royale mode would do amazing things for the popularity of this game and the growth of PvP as a whole.

Anyway, you've put a lot of thought into how it would play out and your idea to have to own a node is brilliant to make sure players fight and consistently have to work their way to victory, while also being a good way to have control of what builds/traits work well and what can be meta. 

I love the idea of looting traits and creating a haphazard build during the match, which I ALSO think would great for learning different playstyles.

Thanks for the post!

Edited by xKole.9175

Oh yeah and how looted traitlines would work (also to prevent teaming abuse by constantly killing enemy player and ressing each other):

The traitlines (and skills) randomized for all 9 classes at the moment they are looted. Meaning any mesmer that gets one will have same traits from it, but it will also work for guardians. So you can share traitlines with your party. And if you loot a crate with 4 player team, there is high chance one of you will have great elite spec from it (even though only 1 of you gets to use it).
This kind of system also promotes class variety, since bad traitline for 1 mesmer will be bad for another.

In a way it would be funny however to be able to mix traitlines and skills from different classes, would give guild wars 1 feeling.

One thing I haven't gotten hand on is that how would killing enemy player looting work in a team environment. Do they drop only their inventory, but not equipped things until their whole team is eliminated? Maybe they also drop their weapon so they're neutralized but don't have to start over? Or do they drop everything and start over when fully revived but their team didn't manage to kill the opposing team? Maybe there is a timer, like 1 minute, before they can be looted as long as teammates are still alive?

Edited by Threather.9354

I like the idea of having to find gear and traits/utility skills so people couldnt just play holo or thief and cheese everyone.

But lets be real, anet wont even fix the no port bugs on existing maps so there is no way they would make a battle royale map. If only they realized that pvp in mmos is an untapped market and Gw2 is by far the best game for it.

It needs to be more simple than that.

1. 10 man battle royales.
  2. You drop with same exact stats/builds you'd have in any other spvp game mode.
  3. Random items and/or buffs spawn in weird locations. IE: Rocket Launchers as seen in Drizzlewood that deal large AoE damage and create heavy CC. Extreme long range Sniper Rifles. Land Mines. <- All of these has very limited use, like 1x ammo when found. It could various food related buffs that effect stats, as well as temporary status buffs like items that grant stealth such as harpy feathers or some amount of super speed. It could also allow use of Mounts & Gliders and have certain mastery related items in the maps for use, like the grappling hook vine.
  4. There should be A LOT of interesting terrain to hide in, and of course the map closes in as the timer runs out.

When I imagine this, I am imagining something more akin to smash bros than fortnite.

I don't see how this would be difficult to code.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524