About Dx9

LART.3748

Good afternoon, a cordial greeting, the following post is to know the following information about the future of the game, as I saw previously in an announcement, Guild wars 2 will use Dx11 by default in the future, my question is, will players still be able to select the option to play it with Dx9? or just Dx9 will disappear as one of the options to run the game? Will some players have to purchase new graphics cards to continue playing? as you know in the south america region many people do not have access to high gamma graphics cards but even so with what they have they can enjoy the game, but this could change and negatively affect users who still belong to the capabilities of Dx9 if this option was completely removed. That all my question ¿Gonna be possible to switch from Dx9 to Dx11? or just gonna exist one only playable mode in Dx11..?

Edited by LART.3748

Seems to me that the option will just be default checked / on for new players, but it will still be able to be unchecked to switch back to DX9 for now.

"As a note, existing players who are not participating in the DX11 beta will not be automatically opted-in on May 10, but if you’d like to start using DX11 you can enable it from the graphics settings menu."

"In the long run, we plan to deprecate DX9 support and move to making DX11 the default graphics setting for all players (new and veteran alike)."

Depending on what "deprecated" means for Anet, it will also still be available in the future. Deprecation shouldn't normally mean removal.

Edited by Raknar.4735
  • Like 2

DX9 is unable to do everything that DX11 does, but it will probably still linger as long as it can. Both DX libraries contain functions that can be called upon that are similar in nature. The issues are where there are no similar functions between the two or a file uses a different format than what DX9 can handle.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Is it even possible to have a card that can both run GW2 and not have dx11 support? DX11 was already several years old by the time GW2 released. GW2 itself is almost 10 years old.

It'd be pretty hard; granted it probably would have broken down. Then again I suck at keeping computers alive-- have never made it past 8 years.

The oldest cards to support dx11 are the nvidia 400 series. So basically if you have anything better than a budget card from 12 years ago, it is ok.

Even intel 4th gen (2013) integrated supports dx11. So you don't even need a graphics card. Though I suppose some weak laptops from back then may not make the cut.

In addition, dx11 is just going to be the default-- dx9 will still hang around for a bit, so there's a good chance anyone left with these  potatoes will have them break down before dx9 goes away. And really, by now, those computers may not even be able to run Windows 10 or browse the web properly. People would do themselves a favor by searching under the couch and buying some random clunker on Amazon for change that has a a processor from the last 7 years. Heck, some are cheaper than a good drill.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1