Accurate Daily Active User Count?

rexi.1349

6 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

You can try to focus on the differences but it doesn’t change what I said. You cannot say something is or isn’t successful solely on it being compared to something else that is successful. It does not work like that. 

Why not? You would not talk about them in the same breathe if they're not even within spitting distance of each other. You would not compare,  say Dragon's Prophet to FFIX or Silkroad Online to BDO, because they're not even remotely in the same universe.. GW2 is successful enough that such comparisons can be made.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

Why not? You would not talk about them in the same breathe if they're not even within spitting distance of each other. You would not compare,  say Dragon's Prophet to FFIX or Silkroad Online to BDO, because they're not even remotely in the same universe.. GW2 is successful enough that such comparisons can be made.

These forums are for GW2. It’s only natural that any comparisons would thus involve GW2. FF14 is a very successful MMO so it’s not surprising that other MMOs would be compared to them.  It’s incorrect to measure any other MMO’s success, or failure, solely on it being compared to another that is successful. That is not how it works. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

No. If we were to compare Wildstar to FF14, would that mean that Wildstar is successful?  No. 

If you are playing WildStar, would you be comparing it to FFIX? I don't think so because they're not even remotely comparable. Although this forum is GW-centric, the constant references to all the other top-tier MMOs indicate that GW2 has a place amongst them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

If you are playing WildStar, would you be comparing it to FFIX? I don't think so because they're not even remotely comparable. Although this forum is GW-centric, the constant references to all the other top-tier MMOs indicate that GW2 has a place amongst them.

You would be comparing it to FF14 as it’s a successful MMO. You can’t do a comparison without comparing them. 

The primary issue with your logic is that you’re applying factors external to the act of the comparison itself. Simply doing a comparison doesn’t mean that the game is successful. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Silent.6137 said:

Your example of K-Mart and Target is really not relevant. Both companies are owned by the same group, but target different clienteles, i.e. K-Marts sell lower qualify and cheaper versions from Target.

No they are not.  K-Mart is owned by Transform SR Brands LLC a privately held company.   Target Corporation is a publicly traded company that has no stake in K-Mart.  They have however bought some K-Mart stores to turn them in to Target.  Apparently there are only 3 K-Mart stores left in the US.   As of April 16, 2022, only 9 stores remain open, three of them being in the Contiguous United States

Edited by Nine Inch Snails.7963
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Nine Inch Snails.7963 said:

No they are not.  K-Mart is owned by Transform SR Brands LLC a privately held company.   Target Corporation is a publicly traded company that has no stake in K-Mart.  They have however bought some K-Mart stores to turn them in to Target.  Apparently there are only 3 K-Mart stores left in the US.   As of April 16, 2022, only 9 stores remain open, three of them being in the Contiguous United States

Kmart Group

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

You would be comparing it to FF14 as it’s a successful MMO. You can’t do a comparison without comparing them. 

The primary issue with your logic is that you’re applying factors external to the act of the comparison itself. Simply doing a comparison doesn’t mean that the game is successful. 

Applying what external factor?

If GW2 is constantly being compared to the most popular MMOs around, then it's still in a very good position.

When you stop placing them in the same brackets, that is with very successful  MMOs, then you know they're no longer successful or relevant. Are you suggesting that if they remain competitive with other top-tiers MMOs, the game can be deemed unsuccessful? Now, what kind of logic is that?

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 8:01 PM, DarcShriek.5829 said:

Ignore them.  There have always been and always will be people that try to convince others that GW2 is dead.  People have been proclaiming GW2 to be a dead game since the first week.  Obviously, these people were wrong.  Drama sells on the internet and these people are just using drama to get attention.

I think this is a really simplistic approach to tackle the question, however not necessarily truthful imho. If the game had big enough population finding raid groups easily or playing pvp against a mixed bag of people (not same old faces over and over again + bots) then I would agree. 
The game is not dead of course but it has seen much better days, the trend is definetely downward.

some parts of the game are low-key dead and some parts are very much alive basically.

Edited by Mik.3401

2 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

Applying what external factor?

When you stop placing them in the same brackets, that is with very successful  MMOs, then you know they're no longer successful or relevant. Are you suggesting that if they remain competitive with other top-tiers MMOs, the game can be deemed unsuccessful? Now, what kind of logic is that?

External factors being anything outside of the act of doing the comparison itself. 

This isn’t about whether they’re in the same bracket or not. This is about whether doing a comparison of GW2 to FF14 implies that the game is successful. The comparison itself does not infer this as I have example where a comparison can to FF14 can be done by an MMO that has not been successful. 

Are for the last two sentences/questions, those have nothing to do with my posts. 

3 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

External factors being anything outside of the act of doing the comparison itself.

Define the external factors I used. But i do tired of this back and forth so I'll just read your reply and will not respond.

It does as you stated that they were owned by the same company when they are not.  

The Kmart Group comprises Kmart, Target and Catch and operates 462 stores across Australia and New Zealand and employs more than 50,000 team members. Kmart Group is committed to providing enjoyable and seamless shopping experiences for customers both in stores and online.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

No. If we were to compare Wildstar to FF14, would that mean that Wildstar is successful?  No. 

Oh wow, WildStar. Sometimes I'm still a bit sad that it shut down. Never design a MMO for hardcore players, I guess 😕

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Gajex.2386 said:

Oh wow, WildStar. Sometimes I'm still a bit sad that it shut down. Never design a MMO for hardcore players, I guess 😕

It’s what happens when you design an MMO for a subset of the MMO population and especially when that subset is generally small, comparatively, in MMOs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silent.6137 said:

I stand corrected.  I'll admit that.  I wasn't aware that there was another company operating in Australia under the Wesfarmers conglomerate that also used the KMart and Target brand.    Maybe I need to plan a trip to Australia to get some budget shopping culture.   Just kidding   😀

What an interesting thread where we are arguing about shopping centers and who owns them.  😀

Edited by Nine Inch Snails.7963
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Silent.6137 said:

Define the external factors I used. But i do tired of this back and forth so I'll just read your reply and will not respond.

The Kmart Group comprises Kmart, Target and Catch and operates 462 stores across Australia and New Zealand and employs more than 50,000 team members. Kmart Group is committed to providing enjoyable and seamless shopping experiences for customers both in stores and online.

Just look at your posts. In my posts, I have been referring to the comparison itself. You seem to have the idea that doing a comparison of one game to a popular one implies that the game must thus be popular as well. That’s very flawed logic. Everything you’ve used to back up your logic is external to the actual comparison. This includes your opinions of the games, for example. 

To further elaborate on what I stated above, look at my example of comparing Wildstar to FF14.  Your reasonings for why that’s different are the external factors.

As for the Kmart thing, would it be better and specific that I was referring to the U.S.?

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/20/2022 at 7:53 PM, JWaggz.5862 said:

There have been a couple communities actively being negative about the game, stating that it's dead and nobody plays it anymore.

For anyone looking to jump into the game and stumbled across this - do NOT believe the people that claim that GW2 is dead. This has been a meme since the game's release week. It's mostly people who haven't even played the game - the rest just wish for GW2 to become empty.
As a PvE player playing in the EU server, it's pretty active. I heard the US server isn't as active, but from what I've personally seen, its population is still pretty serviceable.

I'm not a copium inhaler - in fact, I stopped playing the game for my own reasons. But I try my best to relay what needs to be relayed.

15 hours ago, Silent.6137 said:

If GW2 is constantly being compared to the most popular MMOs around, then it's still in a very good position.

This.

If anything, it's grown quite a bit since EoD's release a few months ago. Though I'll be frank, I don't know the exact growth number. I'd rather leave that to someone more knowledgeable.

On 4/20/2022 at 8:43 PM, Healix.5819 said:

Unfortunately, we have no idea what they mean by 'players'.

Registered accounts, I presume. I don't think there's any MMO out there that surpassed a couple million monthly active users. According to multiple estimations, FFXIV's active playerbase consists of between 1 and 2 million. It's not clear whether that's weekly or monthly, however. Its all time peak of people currently playing, according to Steam charts, is currently at 95.102 players. But FFXIV isn't played predominantly on Steam, to my knowledge. So that's only part of the data. Lost Ark, according to Steam, has had 313.083 players at its daily peak.

14 hours ago, Kikokuma.9405 said:

but also more are leaving the game than ever before.

How do you know that?

Edited by Aselia.1325
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

obviously if you cannot see minimum 10 players at any given moment, it means that the mmo is dead. because as we all know, a mmo can be only insanely popular or dead, and if its not the former, its dead. middle ground doesnt exist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/20/2022 at 7:53 PM, JWaggz.5862 said:

There have been a couple communities actively being negative about the game, stating that it's dead and nobody plays it anymore. I would just like to have factual analytical data that proved otherwise.

Are you sure it would prove them otherwise? We don't have a data (inaccurate) that would confirm either.
I would say that part of community is probably not that visible cuz they hide in instanced content with their statics.

ppl say that dungeons are ded cuz lfg is empty... they don't know the secret technique of opening own group that fills up very quickly xD
Steam release should bring some data.

• Thanks 1