The Skyscale Quest Line Is WAY Too Grindy, And Insulting [Merged]

2 hours ago, Zenfooki.2034 said:

There is nothing “hard” about unlocking it. It’s time consuming for the sake of being time consuming. 

So is complaining about it on the forum, except right now you're getting nothing for it so one could say it's easly worse. And yet... you're doing it 🤔

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

So is complaining about it on the forum, except right now you're getting nothing for it so one could say it's easly worse. And yet... you're doing it

I casually browse this forum while sitting at work. I haven’t logged in to GW2 since October. I can’t bring myself to play it, knowing that I still need to unlock skyscale. 

so yeah, I occasionally come here to complain about the skyscale unlock. 

I also find it ironic that you criticize my spending time on this forum, while you and 2 others that I can name are chronically on this forum with thousands of posts each. 

Edited by Zenfooki.2034
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

On 1/26/2023 at 5:26 PM, Zenfooki.2034 said:

I casually browse this forum while setting at work. I haven’t logged in to GW2 since October. I can’t bring myself to play it, knowing that I still need to unlock skyscale. 

You don't need to. And if "you can't bring yourself to play the game" because... you're required to play the game for an optional reward you want then oh well, what really is there to say about it.

so yeah, I occasionally come here to complain about the skyscale unlock.

""occassionally"" 😄

Still pointless, still wasting time (while just including "It’s time consuming for the sake of being time consuming" in your complaint) and still not getting anything for it.

I also find it ironic that you criticize my spending time on this forum, while you and 2 others that I can name are chronically on this forum with thousands of posts each. 

Not sure what's ironic about people using forum to discuss stuff when compared to someone complaining about playing the game for rewards being time consuming, while they're sitting daily on a forum to complain about the game they apparently don't play/want to play in the first place. If these two things are somehow directly connected to the point of "being ironic" then I need someone to connect the dots for me, because I don't see it. 🤷‍♂️

On the other hand if skyscale was somehow "making or breaking" the game for me, I'd quit long ago whether skyscale was a thing or not.

Edited by Sobx.1758
"myself" -> "yourself"
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

What makes the skyscale so grindy, exactly?

The first collection, Newborn Skyscales, is a pittance of  currency (~5400 karma, 200 VM, 20 Trade Contracts, 10 Mistborn Motes) with no timegates. 
The second has no cost but 2h cooldown between each tier.
The third has 2 hour cooldown between each tier and can only be progressed 4x a day; making the minimum time to completion 3 days.  It's 22 days if you're crafting everything due to charged quartz crystals
The fourth has a base cost of 4 gold and a maximum cost of 80 gold (To skip everything) or 20 day timegate if you craft those instead to skip the jumping puzzles.
The fifth has a 35 coin cost and 250 of every LWS4 map currency which, in all honesty, is two  days farming each map for each currency and that's casually farming.  Alternatively, these  currencies can be obtained via the Return to.. series of achievements and if you finish them all, you get a legendary necklace.

The way I see it, if the amount of effort to get ANet to change the final collection was put into actually completing the final collection, you'd all have your skyscale by now.

Edited by Andifulated.3482
  • Like 11
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Andifulated.3482 said:

The way I see it, if the amount of effort to get ANet to change the final collection was put into actually completing the final collection, you'd all have your skyscale by now.

Sadly, this goes to the point, IMO.  Some players insist on it just being given to them for little to no effort.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

Well I must say this is in fact a lengthy thread. The thinking here I think is since the Skyscale is such a game changing mount for accessing areas they make it hard to get so that when you do get it's quite the achievement and reward. Although I must say World of Warcraft makes getting a flying mount much straight forward with Gold and the Dragonflight Expansion gives it to you within the first hour or two of the campaign. 

Overall I like World of Warcraft's approach better but I don't doubt the decision made by Arena net to make there's different. It's just time really to get it at least it's not locked behind a hard boss fight as far as I know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Realmjumper.8432 said:

Well I must say this is in fact a lengthy thread. The thinking here I think is since the Skyscale is such a game changing mount for accessing areas they make it hard to get so that when you do get it's quite the achievement and reward. Although I must say World of Warcraft makes getting a flying mount much straight forward with Gold and the Dragonflight Expansion gives it to you within the first hour or two of the campaign. 

Overall I like World of Warcraft's approach better but I don't doubt the decision made by Arena net to make there's different. It's just time really to get it at least it's not locked behind a hard boss fight as far as I know. 

its not game changing, its convenient.  That argument was made by those to justify why the it should be a long term objective that you can get quickly, despite the fact you can get it in a couple weeks if you really want to.

To b e clear:

- Its a premium end game medium term goal that offers a desirable reward.  Obviously we want medium and long term goals to have nice rewards.

- Despite the fact its a medium term goal, you can actually do it in a couple weeks.

- Its entirely an optional convenience.

It really boils down to someone wanting a reward and not wanting to do the content to get it and then moaning about their own decision.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Realmjumper.8432 said:

I want to point out that the WoW mount came out after Season 4 in GW2 was already done and both the Griffon and Skyscale were released and discovered.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Today, I finally got to "Skyscale Lost". Up until now, the whole thing was just meh for me, but now I'm feeling frustrated because I'm being compelled to engage in content I despise, namely jumping puzzles, or pay a substantial amount to progress. This is my primary concern. It's unfair to be coerced into an activity and then held hostage until you pay if you don't want to participate.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Valynaard.8475 said:

Today, I finally got to "Skyscale Lost". Up until now, the whole thing was just meh for me, but now I'm feeling frustrated because I'm being compelled to engage in content I despise, namely jumping puzzles, or pay a substantial amount to progress. This is my primary concern. It's unfair to be coerced into an activity and then held hostage until you pay if you don't want to participate.

Not sure I understand the problem.  Needing to do optional content for an optional mount and you consider yourself being held hostage?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Valynaard.8475 said:

But buying treats means you can do the content you want and earn enough to pay for them, right?

Also, to note, most of the JPs can be cheesed. Also there are puzzle dailies (though I don’t remember how many Skyscale JPs are on the rotation) that bring porting mesmers. It’s also common to find helpful mesmers at puzzles even without the daily.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Valynaard.8475 said:

I dislike jumping puzzles as much as the next guy yet this is not something to get upset about since you can bypass/cheese pretty much every one. When I got my skyscale back in the summer last year, I was thinking this would be a nasty step but it was not at all since I bypassed them with my springer. The only crappy thing is the Sanctum of Nabkha which uses the the jackal sand portals as that took me a while because I kept slightly mistiming a few of them. If you don't have that and can't access a griffon then you'll need someone to help you or just pay up for the treat to completely skip it, assuming you use your freebie treat on the branded ley line anomaly. Also another thing you have to find that apparently used the shifting sands mastery if you can't use a griffon near by but that one isn't frustrating to do, just has that requirement.  

You could also probably go to lfg and ask for help with any of them if you have a problem bypassing it and a mesmer will show up to help.

Oh, and nobody is holding you hostage since the skyscale is an optional mount. Would be like me complaining I need to do raiding if I want X item/gear. I do not want to do raiding so that stuff that requires raiding is not something I will ever get which does not make it unfair. This is how life and reality works. At least with this step with the skyscale you have another option.

Edited by loregnum.3619
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Zenfooki.2034 said:

The best mobility mount locked behind the dullest collections imaginable. 🤮 

Not the best, but most versatile. And not really the dulles collections, pretty much just a questline. But if playing the game is such a chore for you, skip it and freely play without the -without change, optional- skyscale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Zenfooki.2034 said:

I haven’t played since Oct. I’ll just stop on the forum every few months. I’ll come back once the Mount is more accessible. 

And you still come here to cry about the skyscale? 
the skyscale is very accessible. 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Zenfooki.2034 said:

I haven’t played since Oct. I’ll just stop on the forum every few months. I’ll come back once the Mount is more accessible. 

I don't see how that responds to what I said.

And what you've said doesn't make much sense to me, but I already commented on that in the past. You're complaining about waste of time because you need to play the game to get the reward, while you're apparently quitting the game over that one optional reward -and while I don't really care about you apparently quitting due to that, it just makes it seem you didn't enjoy the game in the first place.

Edited by Sobx.1758
the
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Zenfooki.2034 said:

The best mobility mount locked behind the dullest collections imaginable. 🤮 

The jack-of-all-trades mount that does whatever other mounts can do but slower. ok, It can hang onto walls, that's something the other mounts cannot do. 

It's convenient but not the best mobility. It cannot fly as fast as the griffon, it cannot cover ground as fast as the beetle  It cannot go through portals like the jackal and it where it has some advantage is over the springer but in some situations the springer is also a lot less clunky to use.

It just offers the convenience of not having to switch mounts at the cost of speed. In Dragonfall, when doing the round of bonus bosses, I cannot keep up with the comm on my skyscale, cause they use a griffon and switch to beetle for ground coverage, etc.

Skyscale isn't needed, it's lazier and as such convenient.

• Like 5

On 3/5/2023 at 1:47 PM, Gehenna.3625 said:

The jack-of-all-trades mount that does whatever other mounts can do but slower. ok, It can hang onto walls, that's something the other mounts cannot do. 

It's convenient but not the best mobility. It cannot fly as fast as the griffon, it cannot cover ground as fast as the beetle  It cannot go through portals like the jackal and it where it has some advantage is over the springer but in some situations the springer is also a lot less clunky to use.

It just offers the convenience of not having to switch mounts at the cost of speed. In Dragonfall, when doing the round of bonus bosses, I cannot keep up with the comm on my skyscale, cause they use a griffon and switch to beetle for ground coverage, etc.

Skyscale isn't needed, it's lazier and as such convenient.

I think the difficulty is that, while this is true, it doesn't sound true to people who haven't experienced it. Players without the skyscale just see all the other players who default to it and think, "I need that".

Last night, after the new meta, I hopped my gryphon and zoomed past all the skyscales to get to the post-meta champs. I didn't see anyone else using gryphon. I've outpaced skyscales on my jackal, even. For the most part, people don't need to use the most efficient mount for any given situation, so they just skyscale everywhere, even using them as ground mounts. That gives the impression to people who haven't tried it that it is the best mobility and makes all other mounts obsolete.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I think the difficulty is that, while this is true, it doesn't sound true to people who haven't experienced it. Players without the skyscale just see all the other players who default to it and think, "I need that".

Well then not much left to do here other than keep dispelling their misinformation about it.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, Sobx.1758 said:

Well then not much left to do here other than keep dispelling their misinformation about it.

True, but I find it helpful to realize that sometimes what I know to be true is difficult to receive without actually experiencing it firsthand.

I expect "it's a jack of all trades mount, but the rest of the mounts do what they do better" sounds like wealthy people trying to convince poor people it's miserable to be wealthy.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

True, but I find it helpful to realize that sometimes what I know to be true is difficult to receive without actually experiencing it firsthand.

The argument often is that they can't keep up without the skyscale. My point is that with my skyscale I can't keep up with people using griffons and beetles. That's the truth of it. If they believe something else that's fine but I won't go along with it.

4 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I expect "it's a jack of all trades mount, but the rest of the mounts do what they do better" sounds like wealthy people trying to convince poor people it's miserable to be wealthy.

Well that's a load of crock if I ever saw one. If it sounds to you like that, then I feel sorry for you. Besides it's not even the most expensive mount. It's the effort that people have to do that makes it oh so hard. So it's not about rich vs poor. It's about patient vs impatient.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

28 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

And that's not a problem with content, rewards or its acquisition -it's a problem with people's attitude if they think their feelings based on lack of knowledge are more important than specific facts. It sure can be problematic, but it's not exactly the game's problem to solve, right?

28 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I don't know about that, I waited with skyscale acquisition for quite some time and it didn't sound like that to me. I kind of fail to see the weight of what from my understanding amounts to "but people refuse to reada and understand facts over their baseless feeling".
The comparison to "wealthy people" is a rather missed one (even though I understand it's not about being a 100% match) since being wealthy is usually a much more complext issue, including the starting points and available opportunities, while skyscale and its acquisition is the same for everyone. All we can say is that if they think it's so gamebreakingly strong and tramples every other mount then they should go get it (and at that point how is some effort it requires not supposed to be extremely worth it?). That's about it. I don't understand why we should endlessly try to cater to people refusing to accept facts, it doesn't really makes sense to me.

16 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

If they believe something else that's fine but I won't go along with it.

Yup, that's about it. People are free to feel and think whatever they want, but that doesn't change what the reality actually is.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1