Waypoint Unlock - Any easy way?

I took a break from GW2 because I got board of playing my warrior (been playing since GW2 beta) and he had 100% map completion.

I've recently got back into the game and loving the Revenant with the greatsword but I'm getting really frustrated not being able to waypoint to anything that's not in the new expansion, since I haven't discovered it yet.

I really cannot afford to buy the Waypoint Unlock packages on the gem store, is there any thing else I can do to easily get the waypoints (besides running to each)?
Sadly this is almost making me not want to play, I really don't have the time to explore all the zone again.

• Confused 3

Well this won't work in all maps but there is the roller beetle way 😉 

Or, and I am assuming you mean Cantha,  the raptor taxi.

The beetle runs around a lot of maps and some waypoints and so does the taxi. As for the beetle, you have to controle it yourself but the taxi is well a taxi. They both can unlock waypoints and yes, not all of them but gives you a good start.

But your post doesn't really make it clear what you are actually asking. Is it traveling to new maps or unlocking travel within a map?

Edited by SandraSolace.7682
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SandraSolace.7682 said:

Well this won't work in all maps but there is the roller beetle way 😉 

Or, and I am assuming you mean Cantha,  the raptor taxi.

The beetle runs around a lot of maps and some waypoints and so does the taxi. As for the beetle, you have to controle it yourself but the taxi is well a taxi. They both can unlock waypoints and yes, not all of them but gives you a good start.

But your post doesn't really make it clear what you are actually asking. Is it traveling to new maps or unlocking travel within a map?

I'll have to look up the raptor taxi, haven't heard of that before.

Roller beetle is a good idea to get through zones, that should be quick.

I'm mostly just trying to travel to new maps. Once I'm there it's not so bad, I can mount and unlock other way points pretty quick but the hard part is getting there when I don't have a waypoint in the zone or any adjacent zones.

If you have any Teleport to Friend items and can find someone in the map you want to go to you can use those.

Other than that it's just running there, but there are ways to speed it up. For one thing if you just want waypoints you don't need to explore the maps as you're going along and you probably don't need all the waypoints in every map. If you know the locations of the ones you want to unlock you can just run straight there. If you have the raptor mount it will be even faster.

You can also use asura gates for shortcuts between cities. Go to any city in central Tyria, or to the PvP lobby (which you can get to via the menu from anywhere in the world) then through the asura gate to Lion's Arch and there's gates to all the other cities. That can get you across a large chunk of the world in a minute or so (depending on how fast the loading screens are on your computer).

• Like 2

Core Tyria:

Get on your Raptor or Roller Beetle and zoom around some. All areas are connected.

For the expansions:

An easy shortcut is to use your guild halls or special hang-out areas (like Lily of the Elon and Arborstone). Once you're there, all areas are connected, so get zoomin'.

For Seasons:

Use the Portal tomes to tag each map. These are cheap to obtain and pretty handy. (Buy them on your 100% completion character and then stash them in the bank or whatever.)

Edited by ASP.8093
  • Like 2

There is another option. 🙂

Ask someone with a siege turtle to taxi you around. While you are riding the turtle as the gunner if the driver uses a WP you will go along with them. This only works within a map, if the driver WP out of the map you won't go along with them. It is possible to unlock most WP this way. I did this during the siege turtle beta since money spent on beta account doesn't matter anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Really any mount makes unlocking the waypoints almost trivial. As they say, "Just do it." You'll be surprised how quickly you can go from say, LA to Orr. It isn't even that long of a trip on foot if one doesn't let themselves get too distracted along the way.

19 hours ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Really any mount makes unlocking the waypoints almost trivial. As they say, "Just do it." You'll be surprised how quickly you can go from say, LA to Orr. It isn't even that long of a trip on foot if one doesn't let themselves get too distracted along the way.

To add to that, I did an experiment a looong time ago (in the lul before the release of HoT, so neither mounts nor gliders nor guild hall portals nor teleport to friend). Unlocking all core Tyria waypoints on a new ranger took around 10 hours. With roller beetle and stuff available these days it should be considerably quicker.