Why is there no player trading?

8 hours ago, Aridon.8362 said:

I'm not saying the players paying for gems is bad.

I'm saying the people on the trading post are bad, instead of waiting for someone else's item to sell for a price they want, no they go in and undercut, then they get undercut, then they take out the item and undercut again, despite having already lost roughly 10% in listing fees, and single-handedly ruining a market.

Nobody wins in that scenario repeating itself over and over again. But we just have to work with it. Thankfully the supply and demand concept works out, that is literally the only thing keeping the TP alive.

I always liked the ESO model, where you put up stores and that's how you make gold, it prevents this undercutting stuff from happening by having the items cycle based on the player's location. Instead of relying on a queuing process. But that's just me.

That could be the case only with some completely new items. Otherwise the market is stable and fluent enough that you shouldnt worry about that at all. 

If you are worried about that you can always take a look at historic trends and assess if you might be selling to high. I never experienced it and I always list sales and often not even at the lowest listing because I know its on the lower end of the range at the time of listing.

The good thing about the TP is that you can very well assess the market price of the item. With shop system you dont have a complete picture and its hard to reference the price for scarcer commodities. You might be underselling or paying too much without knowing it.

And yeah most mmos have huge inflation issues. Which sucks because your accumulated currency is constantly losing value.

• Sad 1

The real issue here is not convenience.  PTP trades will be more inconvenient for more people than the TP, hands down.  While you can lose money you didn't need to lose by buying on the TP, you still end up with the right items unless you've made a really big error.  There is no possibility to scam using the TP, and scams can and will take place in any PTP system.  Finally, if there is PTP trading, there will be advertising in chat, which can be an eyesore.

The real issue is, of course, the TP fees.  Players who sell large quantities and/or extremely desirable items will have 15 of the proceeds removed.  Sure, gold sinks are good for the gameconomy, and thus benefit all of us.  Also, the sellers have a limited option to pass on the cost to the consumer.  However, that ability to pass on costs is limited to what the market will bear, as in what players are willing to pay along with what other sellers are selling for.  By the way, the ability to see the lowest price is a benefit for consumers, and may not be for sellers whose stated desire is to make more gold from sales.

For me, at least, the benefits of not having PTP trading far outweigh the potential benefits from having it.  And, I really don't miss avoiding the major hub in the game (Spamadan) because chat there was a pain in the kitten.

• Thanks 1