Would a Battle pass increase A-nets times spent on PvP?

1 hour ago, Curennos.9307 said:

Other areas of the game aren't directly monetized in this way but they seem to be doing fine.

Living world season(basically 80% of the entirety of PvE content) are free even if you are not locked in while they release? There is no Level 80 booster for the leveling part of the game. World boss timer was a bad dream? Of course it is a little different then other modes, as PvP is different in general than the other modes. It really feels like people are blind to all the monetizing going on in the regular game right now. Like the Gem store is full of stuff you can buy and besides skins, Character slots and finishers everything is unusable in PvP.

1 hour ago, Curennos.9307 said:

It would be better, imo, if anet had some long term plans to revitalize PvP and then stuck to it. I understand it's probs hard for management to justify putting people on the PvP team with the playerbase so low, but I really hope they have a plan of slow, stead changes to PvP over the next year or so to get it back up to a level where it's worth putting more stuff in there - skins, legendaries, maps, etc that might actually bring anet some money.

That is quite.. hopeful. But why should they? And how would they make money of PvP? There is nothing to spend money on in PvP besides finisher. 

Edited by Albi.7250

33 minutes ago, Albi.7250 said:

Living world season(basically 80% of the entirety of PvE content) are free even if you are not locked in while they release? There is no Level 80 booster for the leveling part of the game. World boss timer was a bad dream? Of course it is a little different then other modes, as PvP is different in general than the other modes. It really feels like people are blind to all the monetizing going on in the regular game right now. Like the Gem store is full of stuff you can buy and besides skins, Character slots and finishers everything is unusable in PvP.

That is quite.. hopeful. But why should they? And how would they make money of PvP? There is nothing to spend money on in PvP besides finisher. 

This is why I genuinely asked if I was missing something - the point was that insofar as I'm aware, anet's primary method of monetization is cosmetics and convenience - skins, character slot expansions, bank expansions, and to a certain extend the gems -> gold conversion to purchase mats needed for legendaries. Genuinely didn't know the world boss portal device existed, lol. Both PvE and PvP have legendaries that require a lot of mats, cash shop skins aren't really game-mode specific. The vast majority of the things in the cash shop aren't game-mode specific. 

Lv 80 boosters, even, are a one time thing and you basically get one free with each expansion (probably just one now though) - again, I don't really have the data here but leveling in GW2 is not difficult in the slightest. You can even insta-lv80 characters very easily through crafting and buildup of tomes of knowledge through daily logins and probably some other PvE tasks I am forgetting. LS seasons go on sale regularly and are steadily being released for free - why buy them. World boss portal thingy doesn't look much different than that website that tracks the world boss respawns, then just TPing wherever. I actually had no idea that existed

Maybe one of the few strictly PvE items are the harvesters? Even boosters, the only thing in the shop I imagine someone would conceivably buy repeatedly in the shop, apply to both PvE and PvP.

My point was that there doesn't seem to really be any core monetization that is PvE specific that serves as the 'repeatable' thing. Everything is either a convenience and a one time/limited purchase or just not...all that worth it. Nobody cares about Merchant Express. And, most importantly, it's pointless to try and monetize a game mode that doesn't actually have good content.

What could anet possibly give PvP specifically that wouldn't be better served with more general availability for moneymaking purposes?

Edited by Curennos.9307

25 minutes ago, Curennos.9307 said:

This is why I genuinely asked if I was missing something - the point was that insofar as I'm aware, anet's primary method of monetization is cosmetics and convenience - skins, character slot expansions, bank expansions, and to a certain extend the gems -> gold conversion to purchase mats needed for legendaries. Genuinely didn't know the world boss portal device existed, lol. Both PvE and PvP have legendaries that require a lot of mats, cash shop skins aren't really game-mode specific. The vast majority of the things in the cash shop aren't game-mode specific. 

Lv 80 boosters, even, are a one time thing and you basically get one free with each expansion (probably just one now though) - again, I don't really have the data here but leveling in GW2 is not difficult in the slightest. You can even insta-lv80 characters very easily through crafting and buildup of tomes of knowledge through daily logins and probably some other PvE tasks I am forgetting. LS seasons go on sale regularly and are steadily being released for free - why buy them. World boss portal thingy doesn't look much different than that website that tracks the world boss respawns, then just TPing wherever. I actually had no idea that existed

Maybe one of the few strictly PvE items are the harvesters? Even boosters, the only thing in the shop I imagine someone would conceivably buy repeatedly in the shop, apply to both PvE and PvP.

My point was that there doesn't seem to really be any core monetization that is PvE specific that serves as the 'repeatable' thing. Everything is either a convenience and a one time/limited purchase or just not...all that worth it. Nobody cares about Merchant Express. And, most importantly, it's pointless to try and monetize a game mode that doesn't actually have good content.

What could anet possibly give PvP specifically that wouldn't be better served with more general availability for moneymaking purposes?

Pve is where the money is at is kitten, expansions and gemstore are the only money making in the game.

They can easily expand money making with some pvp rewards tracks gem store only.

There has to be other ways to make money in the competitive modes.

Whoever is in charge of the sales needs to open up their brain, and get a bit more capitalistic in their approach.

Leave the politics at the door.

And stop believing any threats on Reddit, none of those winners are leaving the game.

Edited by Crab Fear.8623
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Curennos.9307 said:

LS seasons go on sale regularly and are steadily being released for free - why buy them.

New and returning players. Started after season 4 had to buy almost everything. They even locked multiple Legendry's behind LW.

cash shop skins aren't really game-mode specific

They are specific to everything but The PvP mode. NO gliding, No mounts, No unlimited gathering tools, No Skiff skins. Besides legendary armor, which you use only outside of PvP, no need for gold or any consumable. Think of Anet as a butcher, the gem shop as butcher's shop and PvPer as vegetarians. Sure there are a couple of eggs or a piece of cheese we could buy, but the butcher has no reason to cater to his vegetarian customers.

This is why I genuinely asked if I was missing something - the point was that insofar as I'm aware, anet's primary method of monetization is cosmetics and convenience - skins, character slot expansions, bank expansions, and to a certain extend the gems -> gold conversion to purchase mats needed for legendaries.

They are, but I think you underestimated how much money Anet makes from Gems-> Gold and to a lesser extend living world story. Also cosmetics and other Gem items are less usable in PvP. 

Edited by Albi.7250

Ok here's my take. The solution for PvP population is vertical progression and gear checks in PvP and the ability to buy it with gems.

Why? Because it would bring whales to the mode.

And while we don't like whales, it's the whales that bring profit.

Pvpers are a broken bunch that doesn't spend money in game.

No money no care from Anet.

If whales could come and whale in spvp, money would start to flow from the game mode and maybe then we would see some real resources aplyed to it's development.

In the end it's all about business if it doesn't make money it's not worth investing.

22 minutes ago, Blackthunder.8679 said:

It's not about we don't like whales.

It's about marketing strategy used to "attract whales". In short, such strategy will force players to spend a lot of money to actually enjoy a game. And if you don't, you will suffer. That is what most people don't like in games with such marketing strategies. 

As I see it, GW2 is not dependant on whales (while there are some, ofc).

33 minutes ago, Blackthunder.8679 said:

Ok here's my take. The solution for PvP population is vertical progression and gear checks in PvP and the ability to buy it with gems.

Why? Because it would bring whales to the mode.

Pvpers are a broken bunch that doesn't spend money in game.

No money no care from Anet.

If whales could come and whale in spvp, money would start to flow from the game mode and maybe then we would see some real resources aplyed to it's development.

In the end it's all about business if it doesn't make money it's not worth investing.

sPvP is in need of balance. The absence of balance is one of the two biggest reasons why sPvP is in such a terrible state. Your idea effectively involves moving sPvP even further away from balance than it already is.

Your idea would also introduce a gear treadmill which's absence is one of the fundamental principles of the game. We already lost at least one fundamental principle (bring the player, not the profession), we don't need to lose another.

And it'd end up making sPvP pay to win. Pay to win should not exist.

Even if it brought whales to the mode, many more players would leave sPvP with bitter feelings (and probably some even hostile feelings).

In short, your idea is detrimental cross the board.

What Arenanet needs to do is introduce actual balance to the mode, instead of ensuring that Guardian and Necromancer stay on top, while Warrior perpetually is at the bottom (which is what they have done for years).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

sPvP is in need of balance. The absence of balance is one of the two biggest reasons why sPvP is in such a terrible state. Your idea effectively involves moving sPvP even further away from balance than it already is.

Your idea would also introduce a gear treadmill which's absence is one of the fundamental principles of the game. We already lost at least one fundamental principle (bring the player, not the profession), we don't need to lose another.

And it'd end up making sPvP pay to win. Pay to win should not exist.

Even if it brought whales to the mode, many more players would leave sPvP with bitter feelings (and probably some even hostile feelings).

In short, your idea is detrimental cross the board.

What Arenanet needs to do is introduce actual balance to the mode, instead of ensuring that Guardian and Necromancer stay on top, while Warrior perpetually is at the bottom (which is what they have done for years).

Well keep waiting then, as sad as it may be I still bet you won't see any significant improvement in a game mode that doesn't make money.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blackthunder.8679 said:

Well keep waiting then, as sad as it may be I still bet you won't see any significant improvement in a game mode that doesn't make money.

Since Arenanet is not going to save sPvP anyway, I'd rather take the slow and steady decline over the instant fall into utter trash that your idea is guaranteed to bring.

Honestly, PvP is already farmed by bots and afk players. If the sales from a battle pass meant PvP getting more resources put into it by Anet and had some nice unique skins to unlock, then I'd be all for this. If they just pocket the money though and continue to leave PvP on life support, then no.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Albi.7250 said:

New and returning players. Started after season 4 had to buy almost everything. They even locked multiple Legendry's behind LW.

They are specific to everything but The PvP mode. NO gliding, No mounts, No unlimited gathering tools, No Skiff skins. Besides legendary armor, which you use only outside of PvP, no need for gold or any consumable. Think of Anet as a butcher, the gem shop as butcher's shop and PvPer as vegetarians. Sure there are a couple of eggs or a piece of cheese we could buy, but the butcher has no reason to cater to his vegetarian customers.

They are, but I think you underestimated how much money Anet makes from Gems-> Gold and to a lesser extend living world story. Also cosmetics and other Gem items are less usable in PvP. 

Fair 'nuff.

I do think it'll be hard to find something that 1) Pvpers will accept 2) Anet can actually do, and repeat, to generate consistent income, and 3) Everyone else will accept, because some people just don't want to play pvp to get stuff.

For example, I would happily grind and spend a few hundred gold if anet put in some sort of system that let me re-allocate some stats on whatever amulet I was using - having a grind equivalent to 200g to convert 200 worth of stats on an amulet. It might mess with balance a bit, but would overall be even, introduce some horizonal progression, pvers don't care, but it isn't really repeatable - I doubt folks would be accepting of a cost per change, or a cost per amulet. I just really want to be able to change stats around, just a little bit, and don't think +/- 200 would break anything.

Charging for new maps would be awkward to implement - how do you deal with queues as they are if some people buy it and some don't. Some maps could allow mount usage though, including new game modes - WoW BGs allow amounts. A larger, more death match-y map with higher elevations for gliding would help. Disable the mount effects tho, I don't want huge barrier spam at the start of fights. Has the issue of splitting an already low population though.

Maybe a few reward tracks that give in-game cosmetics that don't require $$$ purchase but stimulate the economy - something shiny, like an infusion. Some visual effect that's mist-based.

Some new cosmetic features would be interesting and allow new avenues for monetization - we have finishers, but I would pay a few bucks if there was a NPC who'd come running out of the stands to pretend-heal me whenever I died, then fade to black carry my corpse back to the starting point. 800 gems and Tybalt Leftpaw or Aurene will yeet your corpse back to the starting point after pretending to give you some bandages.

PvP is still kinda monetized, most players care A LOT about skins, it's probably not as crazy as other parts of the game but PvP players could definitely "invest" in costumes and weapon skins.

Now a battlepass is usually a good value for players IF DONE RIGHT. On that point I don't think there should be a PvP Battlepass however I do believe in a Battlepass.

Guild Wars is this do anything you want type of game and a properly made paid battlepass could work. But it shouldn't be for any one gamemode. Anything you do in the game should progress the pass, from world bosses, to fractals or wvw, to pvp. Like the already implemented Reward tracks, they can create a battlepass/reward track system that is connected to all gamemodes. Dailies and Weeklies as well as daily login rewards can be reworked to create a system that incentivizes play but doesn't limit them on what they can do.

Edited by thivasss.6023

Something you could use for PvE - besides the legendaries (where you still need to farm/play a lot - even though it is a lot less compared to the PvE legendary armor).

The chests give a few gold yeah. And the reward tracks stuff like clovers. But maybe we could need a currency (account bound) like the jade slivers from EoD recycler.

Farming it flat per win/loss (more per win - like with the pips) ... being able to trade it for PvE mats. I guess ... that would be nice.

Also advertising the premade group stuff more. Without the 5-man queues in ranked it now afaik happens mostly for tournaments? (Which I never really tried. Since I am more low/mid level skill tier.)

A "tournament rush" (similar to the fractal rush) ... where everyone would try tournaments (even low tiered players) - and them starting more often during that time - that would be fun.

Something like a "pass" seems more like it would be used by players that already play PvP a lot? (Need to be sure you like PvE - so it is worth getting it.)

Edited by Luthan.5236