Would a Battle pass increase A-nets times spent on PvP?

PvP right now lacks almost any attention of Anet. The main reason is the low player count. I think another reason is the fact that PvP is hard to monetize. No Warclaw skins to buy. No reason to pay 20 Bucks to fast track BIS gear. Only thing Anet can make money off are the Finishers.
I think a Monthly/2month long battle pass could incentives Anet to spend more development time on PvP if they are able to make money from it. Because right now it feels like the balancing teams gets like 2 days in a quarter year to look at PvP and then nothing. That battle pass would be purchased of the gem store, to increase/add PvP rewards for a Month or two. So if you are not satisfied with PvP right now you just don't buy it.

Possible ideas:

1. Just a Big PvP reward track bonus. So if you play a lot you make a "profit" and if you play an average amount it still helps with clovers , Skins at the end of reward tracks etc.
  2. A Battle Pass that works like the Pip system with a neat skin at the end. So wins are more worth then loses so people don't afk grieve the game mode. Exclusive skins would be nice but probably not worth the downsides. Player outrage, people not interested in PvP flooding PvP games and they would run out of skins eventually^^.

Its shouldn't increase PiP generation. Speeding Legendary armor up with a gem purchase doesn't seem right. What do you guys think? Could that help PvP get more attention? Would it be pay to win? Are PvP numbers to small so it wouldn't have an impact? 

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

You can't monetize an unbalanced system where your progress depends on people you cannot select without catastrophic blowback.

People remember money grabs, especially when they're bad, and doubly when they're unnecessary.  That's why they're churning out skins and not pvp qol.

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Booted up my PC because I need-need to get that Guild Wars battle pass 🎵

I come from Fortnite to tell you of all the bots we get due to the battle pass V-Bucks farming.

I agree with pretty much everyone else here that effort should come from Arenanet before they even think to monetize us.

That, and they never really have done that before in all the years PvP has been around. Much to their credit. The closest would probably be finishers and there's ways to get those for free anyway, always has been.

• 5 Wins: A mini pet egg. 
  • 10 Wins: A black lion key. 
  • 20 Wins: A random black lion weapon skin. 
  • 35 Wins: A random blacklion dye. 
  • 50 Wins: A random finisher. 
  • 75 Wins: 5000 Karma. 
  • 100 Wins: 5 black lion keys. 

3000 gems pls. 

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

I agree with pretty much everyone else here that effort should come from Arenanet before they even think to monetize us.

Fair point. It is just sad playing PvP while it is in permanent decline. At this Point there is praying for a good Steam release to bring new blood in the game mode or stop playing altogether.

23 minutes ago, Albi.7250 said:

Fair point. It is just sad playing PvP while it is in permanent decline. At this Point there is praying for a good Steam release to bring new blood in the game mode or stop playing altogether.

100% un-ironically, I suggest the "stop playing altogether" route.

The moment I got the last ascended shards I needed to finish my last legendary armor is the moment I quit ranked. I still do unranked for a fast set of dailies and to keep piling up reward track potions, but I truly do feel better now that (at least in my mind) ranked just doesn't exist. I don't have to worry about the terrible state of balance, or the lack of updates to WvW and sPvP.

I'm sure a good Steam release will bring an influx of new players, but with the underlying issues not being touched at all, I'm not sure how long that will last until sPvP re-enters decline. But then again - it doesn't matter for me anymore! Hooray!

1 hour ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

100% un-ironically, I suggest the "stop playing altogether" route.

The moment I got the last ascended shards I needed to finish my last legendary armor is the moment I quit ranked. I still do unranked for a fast set of dailies and to keep piling up reward track potions, but I truly do feel better now that (at least in my mind) ranked just doesn't exist. I don't have to worry about the terrible state of balance, or the lack of updates to WvW and sPvP.

I'm sure a good Steam release will bring an influx of new players, but with the underlying issues not being touched at all, I'm not sure how long that will last until sPvP re-enters decline. But then again - it doesn't matter for me anymore! Hooray!

What about steam will attract more players?

11 hours ago, Albi.7250 said:

PvP right now lacks almost any attention of Anet. The main reason is the low player count. I think another reason is the fact that PvP is hard to monetize. No Warclaw skins to buy. No reason to pay 20 Bucks to fast track BIS gear. Only thing Anet can make money off are the Finishers.

Most popular Twitch games in views are highly competitive PvP focused games. But these games not only have a lot of content to unlock or purchase, but also a high amount actualizations, patches and content added.

You want to monetize PvP, ok, that's fine, but what would the players get in exchange? Doubling the balance team from 2 to 4 members? An extra map each year instead of each 2 years? New armors, weapons or costumes to unlock exclusively from the PvP game mode (currently, that could work).

The thing is: people do mostly what they find out entertaining and profitable; PvP rewards are meh in terms of gold but can provide easily legendary armor sets, the legendary amulet and The Ascension. Once you get them out (which doesn't take too much, 2-3 years at most) you are done except if you just enjoy the fighting system (I do).

Honestly, just make PvP good before GW2 gets launched on steam. THEN is the time to milk it.
I also wouldn't try to incentivize non-competitive players to engage in sPvP. Imho it is sufficient if it's worth the time in terms of gold, no need for new unique/exclusive stuff. I'm sure I'm not the only one with plenty of guild mates who sent a sigh of relief in guild chat at some point because they could finally abandon pvp because they got what they wanted.

If pvp was actually enjoyable again with a reason to form pvp guilds (like full team queue for example) etc then someone at Anet could probably easily find a way to monetize this.
Just a quick thought off the top of my head may be through an extension of custom arena configurations or something. Make it possible to exclude certain e-specs, do tournaments where any amount of people could spectate etc.
But without a reason to form any kind of community within pvp I don't think it will ever be possible to make it successful, so any amount of money would be wasted if those core issues aren't resolved first.

4 hours ago, Crab Fear.8623 said:

I said nothing about Steam making spvp more attractive. Steam will simply expose the game to more people who might not have tried it yet, and that should naturally bring at least some new faces to spvp. Not rocket science, my dude.

26 minutes ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

I said nothing about Steam making spvp more attractive. Steam will simply expose the game to more people who might not have tried it yet, and that should naturally bring at least some new faces to spvp. Not rocket science, my dude.

Niether did I.

I asked you what would make steam attract more players...

You are the only one who implied they would come to pvp.

Seems like language is rocket science for you....my JP

8 hours ago, Crab Fear.8623 said:

Their are stubborn people, who refuse to play anything that is not on $team. A $team release might pull a handful of those into GW2.

Edited by Fueki.4753

18 hours ago, Buran.3796 said:

Doubling the balance team from 2 to 4 members? An extra map each year instead of each 2 years? New armors, weapons or costumes to unlock exclusively from the PvP game mode (currently, that could work).

More like the current balance team gets double the time, so the coming balance patch would already be here for 2 months. Which would be a big change.

16 hours ago, DoomNexus.5324 said:

Just a quick thought off the top of my head may be through an extension of custom arena configurations or something. Make it possible to exclude certain e-specs, do tournaments where any amount of people could spectate etc.

That is stuff that just doesn't work as the current PvP player base is to small.  Why should they do that if they could just focus on season 6 Lw which not only makes a bigger part of the player base happy, but is also a form of income from all the people who didn't get it for free on release.

18 hours ago, Buran.3796 said:

The thing is: people do mostly what they find out entertaining and profitable; PvP rewards are meh in terms of gold but can provide easily legendary armor sets, the legendary amulet and The Ascension. Once you get them out (which doesn't take too much, 2-3 years at most) you are done except if you just enjoy the fighting system (I do).

I do enjoy the fighting system. Only thing that kills my joy in PvP are the infrequent, in fines lacking balance patches and the low player count. Tournaments are actually a lot of fun when you get 2 games with teams on equal footing, Which happens once in a bluemoon with our current player numbers.

Also a little reminder in general: PvP is already monetized with Finisher skins. Monetizing parts of PvP doesn't mean it should be a must buy. Gathering tools are monetized doesn't mean you have to pay 3k gems for a set when you want to gather something or buy a warclaw skin to play WvW.

• Thanks 1

The problem here is that no monetization in PVP, means no development for PVP. Arenanet needs and excuse for the money people to start any project in the game, so they need to cook the books somehow to show that PVP is raising retention rates or turning profit to have continued development. The thing is the money people cut the profession design team(the big layoffs), since the money guy doesn't understand that the skill system here is probably the biggest draw for the game. The issue is quite noticeable in all parts of the game , they are not pushing for new builds even in PVE what is left for PVP.
PVP is in downward spiral since there is no development and there is no development cause there isn't money in it, so the population keeps dropping.  
A black lion pvp reward track for not a stupid price (since anet does that allot) would probably be good enough to make them at least pretend they care about PVP. Also PVP would get way more PVP related skins, then the grandiose number of 3 sets that it currently has, since the GEM store guys churn out way way more skins then the in game ones. Yes it will suck paying to get something, but it would be better than the diddly-squat it gets now. DLC sucks but there isn't much way to get anything done and it turns in necessary evil. The thing is even WvW(cornerstone mode by the way) can get more traction cause they can sell glider and mount skins for it.
The whole shitshow is because they don't know how to market the game, to promote the game and how to monetize the game properly, it happened to instanced content , it happened to WvW and it happened to PVP. It is a kittening miracle the guy that made mounts manage to convince the management that they will make bank.

• Like 3

Other areas of the game aren't directly monetized in this way but they seem to be doing fine. PvE gets bunches of content while anet just puts mount, weapon, armor, etc skins up on the store. I'm happy to give anet money for something worthwhile, but at this point I doubt that they're not paying much attention to PvP just because it's hard to monetize. I pay for the expansion and then don't pay anything for raids, fractals, etc and other such PvE changes (I'm always surprised by how rapidly anet springs into action to nerf ele's DPS in raids...).

It would be better, imo, if anet had some long term plans to revitalize PvP and then stuck to it. I understand it's probs hard for management to justify putting people on the PvP team with the playerbase so low, but I really hope they have a plan of slow, stead changes to PvP over the next year or so to get it back up to a level where it's worth putting more stuff in there - skins, legendaries, maps, etc that might actually bring anet some money. I really do wonder where they make most of their money, 'cause you'd think that PvP is just hard to monetize, but from a holistic point of view no other area of the game really has any specific monetization in there, either....Unless you count legendaries and making people buy gems to get gold - which would be fair. In that case, then, why not just do that? Put more stuff into PvP that people want to buy with gold.

...Am I missing something here? IS PvE more directly monetized somehow? Does someone somewhere buy a ton of boosters?

Edited by Curennos.9307

They should make some gem store reward tracks with exclusive skins.

This way even if you don't want to buy gems with rwm you can just convert.

Still locking some exclusive skins behind pvp participation may be a good way to bring back some players who still play other modes.

14 minutes ago, Crab Fear.8623 said:

They should make some gem store reward tracks with exclusive skins.

This way even if you don't want to buy gems with rwm you can just convert.

Still locking some exclusive skins behind pvp participation may be a good way to bring back some players who still play other modes.

This could work for any content they have not just PVP, for example if they put the gem store RAID items they sold directly in some collection for unlocking kitten in the raid  as extra payed DLC for the content without paywalling  the content. Then again for PVE anet can get lazy and just paywall half of the usual rewards they put for the content, wouldn't put it pass them, they tend to do stupid kitten.

But for PVP it is a win win , since PVP doesn't get kitten anyway , the only way to fail is if they put a dumb kitten price like the build templates and fill it with nonsense that "costs" allot of gems like Revive orbs and transmutation charges.
Another issue is the people that will whine cause they want the shiny nonsense but don't want to PVP.