Routinely contested waypoints in PvE

9 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Are contested WP really an issue now with mounts?

It's partially a matter of principle, not completely a matter of practicality. If I choose a place I want to teleport to, I want to end up there and not be teleported anywhere else.

Whether or not I can quickly correct that misplacement, doesn't change the fact that a misplacement happened in the first place.

Also, don't forget that not everyone has mounts.

• Like 7
  • Confused 2

There are too many waypoints in core maps and anet wanted to remove a few 8 years ago but since waypoints are part of map completion, they couldn't just remove them and let players unable to complete maps. So they chose to destroy them through the story.

Those disabled waypoint in particular all have another one extremely close them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

7 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

It's partially a matter of principle, not completely a matter of practicality. If I choose a place I want to teleport to, I want to end up there and not be teleported anywhere else.

Whether or not I can quickly correct that misplacement, doesn't change the fact that a misplacement happened in the first place.

Also, don't forget that not everyone has mounts.

This is however a MMORPG that is trying to represent a living world (and doing a pretty good job of it, certainly market leader).   Your principle is misplaced as the game is not centralised on you as a player, i.e not a single player game.  Players who don't have mounts will get additional pleasure out of getting a mount, it provides convenience.  Bear in mind this was not an issue before the world had mounts, you just ran from another point.

Personally I don't mind, aside from mounts and swiftness I still like the feeling it gives, i.e things are happening on the maps that I may or may not react to - which is ultimately the whole point of the mechanic.

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

On 7/11/2022 at 5:04 PM, Lottie.5370 said:

The Guild Mission waypoints are always contested outside of the GM instance, but when you are inside the instance you can TP to them.

As you can see here.

Waypointing to them actually puts you outside of the guild mission instance (unless they have fixed it at some point, haven't been doing guild missions recently). There's no point to them whatsoever.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, KrivukasLT.3507 said:

Looks like someone havent played story content 😄 plus in core maps you dont need mounts because of wp density and really small maps.  We didn't have mounts until second expansion. 

Well, to be fair, if you do things in story order, you're going to come across those destroyed waypoints well before you get to the point in the story where they are destroyed. Which you come across depends on which story arcs you take, but they all pass through Timberline.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Waypointing to them actually puts you outside of the guild mission instance (unless they have fixed it at some point, haven't been doing guild missions recently). There's no point to them whatsoever.

Huh, you're right. It brings you out of the instance to the nearest non-contested waypoint.

I had just assumed given that it was within mission bounds that it would actually have a use, but no, it is actually entirely useless other than serving as a marker for "hey, there is a puzzle here!"

• Like 1

Contested Waypoints seemed like a good idea when the game was released, but you can tell it was unpopular with players by the complete absence of contested waypoints in any of the expansion or living world maps.

ANet's compromise was to never allow future waypoints to be contested, but at the same time, make a lot less of them.

It's not so bad now we have mounts, but I can imagine that it must have felt really painful between HoT and PoF where new maps had minimal waypoints and no quick form of travel outside of leylines.

On 10/22/2022 at 2:00 PM, Lottie.5370 said:

Huh, you're right. It brings you out of the instance to the nearest non-contested waypoint.

I had just assumed given that it was within mission bounds that it would actually have a use, but no, it is actually entirely useless other than serving as a marker for "hey, there is a puzzle here!"

To quote Admiral Ackbar: It's a trap!

• Haha 3