Is native Controller Support at least in the distant plans?

I'm currently playing via Controller through Steam, and while it works well, it doesn't work as well as native support would.

This game is far more enjoyable to me (for me) in Action Camera, with a Controller.

For the person who will inevitably come in here and say something along the lines of "it's too complex/too many buttons for a controller, controllers can't hand MMORPGs" or whatever...that idea has been outdated and flat out untrue for the better part of a decade now. MMORPGs work very well on Controllers. and IMO, they work better here with this game's combat system. at least for me, YMMV, but I cannot see myself playing this with M/K.

Hopefully native support is in the plans, at the very least in the distant future. I'd heard it was being worked on before the Pandemic, but was put on hold.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Someone at Anet was working on it, but I'm not sure what's happening with it.

I imagine it might be something they'll want to include for the Steam launch (or shortly after) because I know a lot of people play games with a controller through Steam. Also I know from Twitter a few people at Anet have got Steam Decks and I'd be surprised if they haven't tried running GW2 on it (I know one person was playing GW1 on theirs) so that's an added incentive.

But they haven't mentioned anything about adding controller support as part of the Steam release.

5 hours ago, JayMadIV.8721 said:

I'm currently playing via Controller through Steam, and while it works well, it doesn't work as well as native support would.

This game is far more enjoyable to me (for me) in Action Camera, with a Controller.

For the person who will inevitably come in here and say something along the lines of "it's too complex/too many buttons for a controller, controllers can't hand MMORPGs" or whatever...that idea has been outdated and flat out untrue for the better part of a decade now. MMORPGs work very well on Controllers. and IMO, they work better here with this game's combat system. at least for me, YMMV, but I cannot see myself playing this with M/K.

Hopefully native support is in the plans, at the very least in the distant future. I'd heard it was being worked on before the Pandemic, but was put on hold.

It was not put on hold the dev had it as a passion project and quit their jobb for another one.

Since then its been crickets so noone seem to have taken up the controller project have they left.

Edit

Apparently it was put on hold due to covid but he never got back to it.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/rzqrq4/why_cant_anet_add_an_official_mount_wheel_option/

Edited by Linken.6345

• 1 year later...

Anet,

Could you please add native controller support into your game? I try to convice people to play and the first thing they ask me, can you use a controller with it? It is so depressing having to tell your friends that they cannot, but your trying to convince then at the same time why GW2 is the best MMO out right now, and why they should play it.

I know the game is a bit old nowadays, but not adding controller support during this time period is unheard of. I have seen the third party apps that people can use, but I am asking for true native controller support.

Anet - please bring native controller support to your game!

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, pRogz.2301 said:

I know this, but has Anet ever responded to any of these threads yet?

No and they wont respond to this one either so what is the point?

We do know there was a dev working on it  4 years ago was close to finish his passion project but was let go.

And since it was never picked up by another dev after that chance ar slim to none that it will be implemented

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, pRogz.2301 said:

Anet,

Could you please add native controller support into your game? I try to convice people to play and the first thing they ask me, can you use a controller with it? It is so depressing having to tell your friends that they cannot, but your trying to convince then at the same time why GW2 is the best MMO out right now, and why they should play it.

I know the game is a bit old nowadays, but not adding controller support during this time period is unheard of. I have seen the third party apps that people can use, but I am asking for true native controller support.

Not true for MMORPG's

Its actually more rare that they do have native controller support, like FFXIV and ESO does.

If they do have controller support, they were usually designed like that from the get go

I do hope GW2 will get native controller support, but it will never work that well imo for lot of GW2's content.

Mouse is very important in GW2

Steam controller the only controller that is working decently for GW2 content.

Think of like jumping puzzles in fractals. 

You don't have time to take it slow in a party. 

It can be very difficult with a joystick

Now I actually remember doing clocktower puzzle with steam controller, and it worked just fine, but they don't even sell steam controllers anymore.

Edited by jokke.6239
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/22/2022 at 3:17 PM, JayMadIV.8721 said:

I think adding the game to Steam was a way to add in controller support. Considering how many skills can be linked to a single key in Steam I don't I agree that a native control set would work out as well as that could be done with the Steam controller setup. If anything its too bad that they didn't allow accounts to be linked between non-Steam and Steam versions. 

13 hours ago, SamuelW.2685 said:

EDIT, I actually didn't notice this thread is years old and got bumped, weird it didn't get locked like what usually happens to ancient threads 

Yeah, saw July 22, not the year. I admit I am on the side of create a new thread since older threads quite often already includes things that have changed over time. 

Edit: For the confused person, thanks I see I shorthanded some details and misspelled a couple. To expand the details if a poster is looking to make a point, the danger in grabbing an older thread is you need to either agree with original threads points and address the counter points and then make your point which is then distracted from any changes that were already made in the game between the time from the original point to the current time. Granted I spend more time in the WvW  sub forum where grabbing an older thread is an even worse idea considering the number of changes to players, skills, servers and such just may mean a new idea could get even more lost in a thread. A better way is to review older threads if possible and then create a new one for fresh options if you want information shared and want to discuss.

Edited by TheGrimm.5624
edit: spelling, expanded point on old versus new threads POV.
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, pRogz.2301 said:

Anet,

So same reply but now linked to the new requester. Have you tried it under Steam or told your friends to do so? I haven't for GW2 since I own the non-steam version. But after setting up via Steam a controller setup under New World I could see the same being done under GW2. Likewise have a guildmate that's been playing GW2 with a controller using xpadder since forever now. So there are options out there. And as I mentioned to the older post without noting the year, I think Steam was an answer to controller support considering how many options Steam allows you in the layout. Hope that helps.