Festival Idea/Suggestion

greedywholesome.9081

I love this game as it's LGBTQ friendly. 

Would it be possible to have a rainbow parade next June? Not only will it embrace diversity but also get media coverage. I feel it would bring a lot of people joy and happiness. I did not put this on the Festival page is it not an existing thing yet so Im hoping the general consensus support it. Also we need more male to male couples in the stories to balance it out. 

Also you can make more money by selling rainbow themed skins on the gem store

Edited by greedywholesome.9081
added last sentence. just supporting the company and hope it makes more revenue
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

There's a Pride parade on both EU and NA servers every June: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/115238-tyria-pride-2022/#comments

It's organised and run by players, and Anet promoted it on their official social media channels and other places. I don't know if it got much media coverage. I recently learned that most MMOs have player-run Pride events, which was a nice surprise for me, but means any individual one may not be considered that notable by the media. But I did find one article just now: https://massivelyop.com/2020/06/27/guild-wars-2-celebrates-pride-all-weekend-heres-how-to-join-the-in-game-parades/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm in support of the movement, but I think it feels more genuine when a community comes together to celebrate it than when a company or brand tries to do the same. For that reason alone, I'd say it probably wouldn't be worth it for ArenaNet to try to make some kind of in-world pride festival or event when players are already doing a good job of it each year.

+1 for the male couples thing though. We have a handful of background characters peppered around the game, but for the most part it's straight and female couples in the front row. Let Canach and Laranthir find happiness as they reach for the same grenade and bond over traumatic experiences. Reveal that Rama's an equal opportunity romantic. I'd love to see them add this missing dynamic without relegating it to throwaway NPCs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

There's a Pride parade on both EU and NA servers every June: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/115238-tyria-pride-2022/#comments

It's organised and run by players, and Anet promoted it on their official social media channels and other places. I don't know if it got much media coverage. I recently learned that most MMOs have player-run Pride events, which was a nice surprise for me, but means any individual one may not be considered that notable by the media. But I did find one article just now: https://massivelyop.com/2020/06/27/guild-wars-2-celebrates-pride-all-weekend-heres-how-to-join-the-in-game-parades/

Did not know that! Need to get out of the Mists more. That's absolutely incredible and I'd totally be there next year if there will be one. I'll also help spread it on social media. Thanks for sharing, wish I knew about it. I'll read the articles you've shared in a bit. 💕

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

+1 for the male couples thing though. We have a handful of background characters peppered around the game, but for the most part it's straight and female couples in the front row. Let Canach and Laranthir find happiness as they reach for the same grenade and bond over traumatic experiences. Reveal that Rama's an equal opportunity romantic. I'd love to see them add this missing dynamic without relegating it to throwaway NPCs.

What a great idea! Love how you have some candidates in mind already. It's wonderful that I'm not the only one who feels the imbalance. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, greedywholesome.9081 said:

Also we need more male to male couples in the stories to balance it out. 

There's quite a few male homosexual couples in the story, just not among the main cast.

But can we get one functional and healthy straight long-term relationship? Crecia and Rytlock are constantly at each other's throats; Logan and Jennah got retconned into being one-sided obsessiveness; Ottilia was never healthy for Braham but ended up getting retconned to non-existent relationship and Braham still pines over her; Ellen and Zalambur that coulda been interesting got turned into a one-off fling; Rama can't even get the nerves to ask Cho Min out while also being treated like a sex object by Ellen (and community); Faren is... Faren; and Rox might have a new boyfriend but we know nothing of him.

Canach x Anise fan fict is the closest to a functional straight relationship among the main cast.

I'm all for LGBT representation but it shouldn't come at a cost to other healthy representations being non-existent.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

There are enough festivals. As long as it is a small gimick event - with no achievements. (Or 1 achievement on login - without having do so something.) Totally fine. But other than that: There are enough big festivals with achievements and stuff.

I think there was stuff about mental health. "Seize the awkward" or something like that. And wasn't there a thing (achievement or title) where you had to visit Lion's Arch during a certain month? (Which basically was free for everyone normally playing since you visit there regularly.) Don't know if that also was tied to some real life stuff.

That is how this could happen LGBTQ without adding too much new content.

And lol ... when I read the post above me ... about the straight long-term relationship ... I first thought about Anise and Canach - before I saw that it was mentioned in that post as well ... at the bottom. (Might be something for the inter-racial novels Snargle likes to write. :D)

There seems another thread in the lore forums about LGBTQ - where people in general talked about the romance (also the hetero stuff): This really isn't the strength of ArenaNet. (Writing in general.) While I like the setting and the general mood/atmosphere ... I pretty much play it mainly for achievementing and the maps and game mechanis. (JPs are nice.) Story was good at the beginning. But too feels too much like an american "super hero vs evil boss" generic stuff - with all the Dragons so far and the commander soloing them basically in some big end fight. (Which apparently people like.)

Then we have a lot of western single player games that include romances only for achievements. (Having homosexual options as well.) I only remember having played the first Dragon Age - with the horrible/boring romances where you noticed that they were only there so you could have achievement unlocks for these. Well written romances imo are the best in single player games that do not focus on using them for achievements. And that have a fixed story where they are included. (No player choice - too many options = less quality.)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Confused 1