After 10 years... character creation...

Dear A-net, in 10 years only part of character creation have been given any love. I wish EVERY aspect of character creation could finally get updated.

Hairstyles: Always fun with more multicoloured hair, Fins (who knows what happens when u adapt to the unending ocean)

Faces: There are so much ppl and animals to pick inspiration from even dragons/dinosaurs/ mythical creatures for charr.

Skincolours/patterns/Norn tattoos: Vitiligo for humans/norn. Tattos for humans. Fur patterns inspired from Oryx, okapi etc for charr, short shiny fur, fluffy fur.... perhaps even part scaly (who knows what happens when u adapt to the unending ocean) 

Horns: Dragon inspired, antler inspired.

Ears: earrings! 

Beards: Beard lovers know this one! 

Glow patterns: that pulsen similar to some of the mount skins.

3 Expansions later I'm still disapointed that this has nerver happened 😥

• Like 2
  • Confused 18

43 minutes ago, Frostfang.5109 said:

Dear A-net, in 10 years only part of character creation have been given any love. I wish EVERY aspect of character creation could finally get updated.

Hairstyles: Always fun with more multicoloured hair, Fins (who knows what happens when u adapt to the unending ocean)

Faces: There are so much ppl and animals to pick inspiration from even dragons/dinosaurs/ mythical creatures for charr.

Skincolours/patterns/Norn tattoos: Vitiligo for humans/norn. Tattos for humans. Fur patterns inspired from Oryx, okapi etc for charr, short shiny fur, fluffy fur.... perhaps even part scaly (who knows what happens when u adapt to the unending ocean) 

Horns: Dragon inspired, antler inspired.

Ears: earrings! 

Beards: Beard lovers know this one! 

Glow patterns: that pulsen similar to some of the mount skins.

3 Expansions later I'm still disapointed that this has nerver happened 😥

I'd rather we didn't go with, like, 90% of those ideas, especially the fins, scales, and other reptilian features for what are mostly mammalian species.

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I mean: If you compare it to other games, it's very basic. ArenaNet added new faces and stuff like that. But never added something completely new. Like the mentioned earrings, other tail/claw options for Charr, other tato or fur/skin patterns for Asura, Norn and Charr.  They just keep expanding the options we have. Which is … fine, I guess. I wouldn't mind other options though in exchange for things I mentioned.

Edited by Maria Murtor.7253
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Frostfang.5109 said:

Karin, fanged deers, the latest warclaws (have forgotvthe name of that creature)... are all examples where mamal features meet fins and scales  and I think all those creatures look awsome! 

And we have water dragon wings even... so why not?! 

The difference is skins for mounts etc aren’t necs meant to be lore consistent. They can have any features, whereas races have a set range of physicalities and no race outside of the Largos has adapted to Unending Ocean to have scales or fins.

The wings are backpack items, so not part of a characters physical features. No race has such wings (again except Largos)

Im all for more options in character creation, but consistent to what is logical. Tattoos, different horns, more fur patterns, more jewellery are fine - and many extra options have been added over the years. Dragon faces are out of the running though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This may be controversial (involves UI function change) but the thing that miffs me most about the character creation is the side scrolling design. It makes it impossible to know how many options there are without scrolling through them all bar by bar. It's very easy to accidentally change your selection when scrolling to the next set of options. It doesn't save your place when switching based on your current selection and IIRC, the outline is not that distinct, so if you are wondering which selection you have picked so you can go back to it if you change your mind after trying some others, you may have to scroll through a number of sets one by one just to find it and then try to remember where/what it was.

It's also just confusing about the number of options. Took me some time in the beginning to get that when you scroll to the end, there can be an uneven number of options so you get half from the previous set to fill the whole thing.

The sims 4 (one of the best character creation designs I've seen in video games by far) also has an icon-based preview of what you're choosing from for options, but it does it vertically, so you can see at a glance how many options there are and scroll through faster with a scrollbar. Idk what possessed them to do horizontal, probably seemed cutesy and innovative.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

I've always wished they'd add an option to change the forced green/purple shading on Sylvari faces. Pretty much why I go with gray skin since they're the only shades that remove it. And I've always wanted a Trehearne-like face for them~ 

Also; a more ripped tone of muscle option on the thinnest human male like the other sizes have. It's been 10 years though so I'm not expecting anything. At least 2 slots for hair color and highlights have been pretty much the norm in most games nowadays. 

The lack of numbers on the sliders have always bothered me... I've had to screenshot them and then try my hardest to align them just right with only thing to go on being the very slight changes in the line's art. Can't save appearances either ofc for when you wanna make a new character with same appearance.

Water dragon scales on skin and such would be cool but that's like an Infusion thing, though if they added infusions like that the vast majority of us would never have one due to the impossible drop rates but that's probably the only way we'd see it, unfortunatly. There're some horns for helm skins (though I wish I could use them at same time as shrine ears), and dragon wings that I tried my best to make match my skin tone but there's not enough fleshy colored dyes~ "Hunt" was closest. Just need back pieces that add tails. 😛

For other unusual things I really like eyes with black sclera and adore when a game allows it in char creation; like my PSO2 char whos eyes have black sclera and bright orange iris.