Dragonhunter: Is it really this weak or is it just me?

Anela.3867

Core is not better than DH in PvE, lol.

DH's solo performance is still as good as it ever was. Where it got hurt was group content where you had banners and spirits, as it lost around ~10% of its dps. Still playable, but when you consider a Mechanist playing at ~70% efficiency will beat a DH at 100%, you have to wonder why anyone would pick DH for a pure dps role.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, JunkJunk.8971 said:

They are really weak..  In pvp they got hit really hard with the rune nerf...   Outside of that, they just go down really fast..   PvE every other version of guardian is better. including core...

Core is not better. And power DH is still the best power option for guardian.

In OW it is pretty good. In group content, it is serviceable. It is dpsing a bit behind, but has high burst and AOE. It needs a some buff. However, this is using GS and sword or scepter. Any other weapon, including LB, is trash.

PvP, do not bother. Only power core, power support and power WB. Nothing else is remotely playable. WvW add support FB.

• Confused 4

On 9/5/2022 at 8:58 PM, cat.8975 said:

Core is not better than DH in PvE, lol.

DH's solo performance is still as good as it ever was. Where it got hurt was group content where you had banners and spirits, as it lost around ~10% of its dps. Still playable, but when you consider a Mechanist playing at ~70% efficiency will beat a DH at 100%, you have to wonder why anyone would pick DH for a pure dps role.

Because playing Mech is kind of...boring. I use it mostly for open world PvE content that requires 0% brain power. For instanced stuff I prefer to play something that requires thinking even if it the performance is worse.

Also DH does like what...3k less dps than Mech on a dummy. So it doesn't really matter for the average Joe. It's probably noticable only in the hardest content in the game which is only HTCM.

Today I was doing T4 fractals and my Alac Willbender was doing the same DPS as 2 DHs...so there's also the L2p issue in most cases.

Edited by Liisjak.4509
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Liisjak.4509 said:

Also DH does like what...3k less dps than Mech on a dummy. So it doesn't really matter for the average Joe

First of all I'd be surprised if DH actually benches 35k. Secondly golem numbers are golem numbers. DH is MELEE and has to use TRAPS. DH is also one of the harder builds to actually get to benchmark values as it requires aftercast cancelling on MULTIPLE skills and REQUIRES standing inside the hitbox of the boss. Mech has none of those problems, is far easier to play, almost fully ranged, much more tanky with its golem as meat shield, FAR better base kit on skills, self quickness to cover lacking groups and on top of all that benches MORE. 3k DPS isn't something to negate (especially when real life numbers are more like 8-9k), because if it was most groups could just create setups that purely run supports but they don't.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Liisjak.4509 said:

Also DH does like what...3k less dps than Mech on a dummy. So it doesn't really matter for the average Joe. It's probably noticable only in the hardest content in the game which is only HTCM.

DH is currently parsing around 33k on the golem, but that's not even the point. Golem numbers are thrown out the window as soon as you fight something that prevents you from attacking in melee or moves out of your AoEs. Beyond Mechanist's decent golem number, it's almost 100% ranged, and ~35-40% of its damage comes from a pet that is always attacking. Mechanist should NEVER have been given competitive benchmark golem dps considering its dps uptime and ease of play. I can only hope the late Nov update knocks it down a good 4-6k, but until then, we're stuck with seeing these stupid jade mech swarms for the next ~3 months.

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

I still like my full berzerker dragonhunter with vampirism runes for open world.  Always fun to trap bomb/greatsword spin to win groups of enemies. And has solid ranged option with longbow if i dont want to get close to something nasty.

No clue if its any 'good' in current meta but i like it.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 2:43 PM, Drake.5140 said:

In my Opinion, as a DH main that oneshot everything I see in PVP and a raid player as well, Dragonhunter is the top option for power Guardian with some pretty insane quick bursts and tons of aegis, pulls and healing 

Sorry but you don’t one shot anyone in pvp.   Maybe unranked and a staff elementist.    But let’s go easy on the hype

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

On 9/12/2022 at 8:43 PM, Drake.5140 said:

In my Opinion, as a DH main that oneshot everything I see in PVP and a raid player as well, Dragonhunter is the top option for power Guardian with some pretty insane quick bursts and tons of aegis, pulls and healing 

I think you're stuck around year 2016 😞

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

16 hours ago, Lysico.4906 said:

Sorry but you don’t one shot anyone in pvp.   Maybe unranked and a staff elementist.    But let’s go easy on the hype

if you dont oneshot anyone in pvp, thats a you problem, but I oneshot everyone beside necros (Cause of their 2x HP Bar) and warriors (cause of invuln). But for real, if you dont instakill someone with 2 traps, symbol from GS4 and GS2, then you obviously do something wrong

• Confused 8

On 9/5/2022 at 5:04 PM, otto.5684 said:

Core is not better. And power DH is still the best power option for guardian.

In OW it is pretty good. In group content, it is serviceable. It is dpsing a bit behind, but has high burst and AOE. It needs a some buff. However, this is using GS and sword or scepter. Any other weapon, including LB, is trash.

PvP, do not bother. Only power core, power support and power WB. Nothing else is remotely playable. WvW add support FB.

DH is OP as hell in WvW at the moment, it + scourge are the zerg DPS meta right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

20 hours ago, Lysico.4906 said:

The point is nobody is letting you do all that in ranked pvp.   I can as you say one shot anyone that lets me unload 5 skills without them dodging or los or whatever.     So you are overstating DH ability 

You are right about dodging but the point is that once you get them with F1 to stun them in Dragonmaw and unload the rest asap, if they stun break they have a high chance to escape but you have to be insanely quick on that combo

• Confused 4

Its just not a brawler spec so expecting to survive long in Open World PvE is just not going to happen. For instanced content it is little better but it has such a low skill ceiling that you cant really manipulate anything for more damage.

I guess it biggest use was PvP but that rune nerf was a pretty big hit.

On 9/15/2022 at 3:15 AM, Drake.5140 said:

if you dont oneshot anyone in pvp, thats a you problem, but I oneshot everyone beside necros (Cause of their 2x HP Bar) and warriors (cause of invuln). But for real, if you dont instakill someone with 2 traps, symbol from GS4 and GS2, then you obviously do something wrong

Or maybe cuz you are not fighting a literal dummies? There is no way, even in silver, enemies will eat 2 traps, gs symbol and whirl. In platinum this a joke. 

DH is terrible in spvp. It is also under parsing in pve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/16/2022 at 6:50 PM, otto.5684 said:

Or maybe cuz you are not fighting a literal dummies? There is no way, even in silver, enemies will eat 2 traps, gs symbol and whirl. In platinum this a joke. 

DH is terrible in spvp. It is also under parsing in pve.

What? A trap laying, spammy DH still can hold a node like no one's business.

Personally, my only gripe with DH is longbow. I WANT to use it, but honestly there are better options out there. That said, DH is pretty good competitively (at least in 5 v 5).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, pallas.8150 said:

What? A trap laying, spammy DH still can hold a node like no one's business.

Personally, my only gripe with DH is longbow. I WANT to use it, but honestly there are better options out there. That said, DH is pretty good competitively (at least in 5 v 5).

What traps lol? ToF damage is pathetic now. The burst does not deal any damage. The only trap that would be considered for aoe/area denial is PT. And if you are running PT, that means you are missing either CoP or smite. Your sustain will be creap.

Lets not kid ourselves, DH is not remotely competitive. It is barely even viable. Even kitten FB has more value. It is the worst thing you can currently play in spvp, among tons of terrible options.

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2022 at 9:15 AM, Drake.5140 said:

But for real, if you dont instakill someone with 2 traps, symbol from GS4 and GS2, then you obviously do something wrong

but for real, if you use 2 traps gs4 and gs2... that is not a oneshot anymore buddy....

you know... oneshot = 1 skill to kill 100->0

The term that you are using is wrong essentially. If you would say: DH can still kill people in one burst! everyone would agree with you.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Thanks 1