Please rework the report function or ban people longer/permanent (also would be nice if a dev responds to this problem)

Divity.3049

Hrm, isn't part of harassment that they keep bothering you after you tell them to stop?  
I often wear a stoneskin infusion and one time a guy ran up and told me that my face looked like dog excrement.  It was a distasteful way to state his opinion, but I am also aware that stoneskin does look blotchy on lower graphical settings.
I replied, "lol that must be a very sick dog."  He stood there a few seconds and said, "yeah probably" then he ran away.  I didn't feel harassed, I felt rather pleased with myself actually.  If it was bait, I didn't take it and he lost interest. 

On the other hand we have people reciting religious dogma in map chat occasionally and other people repeatedly tell them to stop or to leave, but they persist.  It isn't targeted, but I think that is harassment.  
Should I report people who try to evangelize in map chat?

Usually I just ignore trouble makers and eventually one of us leaves.  If they tracked me with the friend option and followed me around, then I would report them.

• Confused 2

On 9/17/2022 at 3:08 AM, Divity.3049 said:

Im a veteran player who likes to be on the starter maps everyday to help new players in the game and since the steam launch me and some friends noticed a MASSIVE rise in the amounts of insults,sexism and racism in map chat by new players. It would be fantastic if you guys rework the report system a bit so that we 1. get more reasons we can report people for 2.can see an ingame response if you (arenanet) did take action against the reported people. Gw2 has such a nice, friendly and open community and I feel like the steampeople/trolls are a big negative impact for the whole community. It kinda feels bad if you look into map chat and see people joking about kitten women ect and it would just be too much to report every single one via website support especially since arenanets stance is that they wont tell you anything about the outcome of the investigations anyways. I wish those people would get banned wayyyy longer or even permanently 😞

Anyways have fun everyone and good loot 🙂

How about you just switch over to combat chat and evil nasty trolls wont bother you. seeing as how you go out of your way to complain about others.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

On the other hand we have people reciting religious dogma in map chat occasionally and other people repeatedly tell them to stop or to leave, but they persist.  It isn't targeted, but I think that is harassment.  
Should I report people who try to evangelize in map chat?

And the real-world political discussions, too.  I play GW2 to get away from what's happening in the real world.  Is such discourse in map chat harassment?  Not by my definition. 

Like most other things in chat that I don't want to see/hear -- I just block and move on.

• Like 3

That is a problem with OP's original post. They want drastic consequences, for vague categories of infractions. The examples they give aren't very helpful. Slaughtering people because of their gender could be seen as sexist, I suppose. It also just sounds like killing people because they exist.  Insane rather than sexist.  Does op want people banned for catcalling a guy's perfect female avatar? or for genocide talk?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Does OP's definition of harassment match Anet's definition? What does OP intend to do if not?

What is OP's definition of harassment anyway?

If I get into an argument with OP and each of us wants the last word, a long argument, am I harassing OP? 

If I wear a particular outfit that OP objects to, and I don't change or leave, am I harassing them? Or am I enjoying my fashion choice?  What about playing tunes that OP doesn't want to hear?

I can assume so much and misinterpret so easily.

• Confused 2

As it is something that comes up with these suggestions a lot of times, I might as well ask now. What do you get from being notified if action has been taken? I mean purpose of the report should be to get a person banned or something. Getting a notification does not serve this purpose. The vibe I get from this particular request, again not the reporting but the notification ppl ask for, that it's about gratification and being "the teacher's pet". Is there anything else ppl get from being notified if action has been taken? I mean if you block the person you will no longer have to read what they say, and if the account is banned or removed, fine, if not, at least you don't have to bother with it because you blocked the player. So why do you need a mod telling you that they did something?

• Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, lokh.2695 said:

As it is something that comes up with these suggestions a lot of times, I might as well ask now. What do you get from being notified if action has been taken? I mean purpose of the report should be to get a person banned or something. Getting a notification does not serve this purpose. The vibe I get from this particular request, again not the reporting but the notification ppl ask for, that it's about gratification and being "the teacher's pet". Is there anything else ppl get from being notified if action has been taken? I mean if you block the person you will no longer have to read what they say, and if the account is banned or removed, fine, if not, at least you don't have to bother with it because you blocked the player. So why do you need a mod telling you that they did something?

The problem is that Anet not banned hackers for months and in some cases even years. So peoples lost the trust in the report function. In Gw 1 Dhuum came and banned those peoples live -> That was a great thing.  I mean look the wintrading kitten in PvP. This thing is now going on for years and no actions was taken by the devs.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, Yunari.9065 said:

The problem is that Anet not banned hackers for months and in some cases even years. So peoples lost the trust in the report function. In Gw 1 Dhuum came and banned those peoples live -> That was a great thing.  I mean look the wintrading kitten in PvP. This thing is now going on for years and no actions was taken by the devs.

I get that. But again, as you say yourself, the problem is that it seems ANet isn't doing enough banning. That might be the case, might not be. I don't know. They banned a few people last year for tournament manipulation and I know that mods intervene with offensive character names for example. ANet has also banned ppl for duplicating items.
ANet doing banings or not, has nothing to do with you, or anyone else, being notified about the action taken. So why the request for being notified? I mean if 200 players report an afk necro in queensdale, do you actually want some volunteer/minimum wage mod going through all the reports of the day and sending out a message to every player saying "We banned the afk necro for three days, thanks a lot."?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...